Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

441 - 448 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
With that being said, we are averaging around 5,000 miles per year on our SlingShot so I have made it a routine on New Years Day to check/change fluids and filters and do other preventative maintenance.

Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is no Service Mileage Display on the Instrument Panel like in a car. The Owners Manual shows a maintenance schedule of every 6000 miles for Oil and Filter Change. So first you have a 500 mile Service Requirement and then at 6000 miles, 12,000 and so on. I am placing a link to the 2018 Slingshot Owners Manual and look at the Maintenance Schedule to perform all the scheduled maintenance if you plan on performing it yourself. Good Luck.

2018 Slingshot Owners Manual.pdf
Sam, I’m honored having you replying if your the author of YouTube Slingshot videos. Your my main source of information and tips.
I absolutely viewed as many videos as possible and extremely instructive.
Due to your videos, picked up a sun shade and other future upgrades.
Keep filming those videos !

Real soon I will be picking up from a private owner a 2018 SS SL.
Current milage is 5670. Bought oil/filter to change A.S.A.P.
Noticed on display (at the bottom) for changing the oil soon.
Figured like a car, once oil changed you reset to get rid of message.
So doesn’t seem to be the case now. I was just wondering.
Once SS in my possession, I will be reading the manual completely.
Of course online as well.
Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I seem to remember seeing a post somewhere about Slingshots with the Navigation feature also having some display capabilities other than radio/song info and mileage info. Miles to oil change may have been mentioned, but I don't recall specifics. I tried reading an online owners manual, but didn't see any specific mention of the display capabilities there, but a Google search produced this link - Ride Command - Touch Screen Display System | Polaris Slingshot which specifically mentions -
"ADVANCED VEHICLE DATA
Monitor fuel range, miles to your next oil change, current altitude, average fuel economy, heading, Bluetooth® status, and much more."
I'd assume there is a reset feature accessible when that screen is displayed. I base my assumption on the fact that the non-navigation-equipped Slingshots use the same button that tabs thru the speedo info display to reset the fuel mileage, trip odometers, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Correct BKL on Polaris having web page "brochure" depicting;
Advanced vehicle data
Monitor fuel range, miles to your next oil change, current altitude, average fuel economy, heading, Bluetooth® status, and much more.
I wasn't imagining it. I will look at the manual carefully and the Ride Command options. Got to be in there somewhere!
Be back with an answer when SS SL in my possession.

For Samowens44, thanks for the oil scheduling. Thought it had to be at 5000 (as per Polaris). Since it's closely approaching 6000, I'll wait.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
755 Posts
@GclSling Thanks you for your most kind comments. My video were designed to help new owners that want to attempt some of the maintenance themselves but just don't know how to get started. Now be sure to watch my second video on changing the oil and filter. I made some changes that show you how to change the oil without raising or getting under the Slingshot. I will post link here for you. There are several tools out there that will aid in getting the Oil Filter Cap off. I am going to put that video here also, sounds like you probably have already watched it. Good Luck, you are going to enjoy your Slingshot when you can take care of it yourself.
Changing Oil without raising Slingshot

Details of how to reach the oil drain plug from over the tire.

I show the proper tool to remove Oil Filter Cap

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
755 Posts
Correct BKL on Polaris having web page "brochure" depicting;
Advanced vehicle data
Monitor fuel range, miles to your next oil change, current altitude, average fuel economy, heading, Bluetooth® status, and much more.
I wasn't imagining it. I will look at the manual carefully and the Ride Command options. Got to be in there somewhere!
Be back with an answer when SS SL in my possession.

For Samowens44, thanks for the oil scheduling. Thought it had to be at 5000 (as per Polaris). Since it's closely approaching 6000, I'll wait.
GclSling, this why it is so important to read the Owners Manual for you year Slingshot. Ride Command is a new Option that previous years did not have. It also has I am sure you will find a lot of things that will be of great value, your just have to read the manual to discover how to access and operate them. I learned something new about Ride Command. I do not have it so have not read anything about it. Good Luck again.
Here are the basic things you can do with it.

Ride Command.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Samowens44 thanks for the manual page image.
As stated before, I'm still waiting to gain possession of the SS SL (sometime this week) including manual. I do not have access to manual.
I figured asking for clarification be the way to go. Whenever I get involve into any subject (such as viewing most all your You Tube videos), I research from top to bottom.
Watching your oil change videos, was looking if there was any mentioning resetting of the Oil Life/Service Reset. May have been due to your older Ride Command.
I'll be going through the all settings in the Ride Command and the vehicle as well.
Appreciate all the input to date.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a follow up on resetting oil changing through the Ride Command. I have the 2018 SS SL that has ability to reset oil service. Straight forward process.
Enclosing pictures of Ride Command display for resetting. I heard earlier models did not have this functionality.

441 - 448 of 448 Posts