Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure some of you will want to do your own oil change. If you're not familiar with the 2.4 le5 it does not have a traditional screw on oil filter. The oil filter is a cartridge.

To get to the cartridge a cap will have to be removed. You can use common sockets and wrenches but if you just buy a canister socket it will make your life allot easier. You can find them at all parts store or online.

Here is a example
http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14700-Canister-Socket-Ecotec/dp/B0009OMYAQ

replace the filter and O rings and torque the cap back on to 25nm do not over tighten its plastic!

For me i'll run the oil that it comes with for about 1k miles and do a initial change. I'll be switching over to Rotella T6 for its higher zinc content.

And please don't use a fram or other cheap filters. spend a little more and get at least a wix. The oil is the life blood and cheap oil and filters kill engines.

Attachments

·
Registered
843 Posts
Great info thanks. Do we know where the jack point is to get under to the drain plug? Do I jack one side up, seems unstable, both front wheels off the ground? or lift the rear? What do you think. Thanks
You can up one side with no problem i am pretty sure...for the T-Rex its good...anyway Polaris will say what to do in the manual!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most New vehicle

1st oil changes are at 600 Miles, this is to get rid of Metal pariticals in the oil/engine from the manufacturing process.

I have bought a lot of new bikes, cars, pretty much all of them have a 600 Mile 1st oil change.

I inspected oil out of a few of them, by pouring the oil very slowly out of a clean drain pan and into a Plastic milk jug, you can see some metal in the oil.

I would Not suggest waiting till 1000 miles if the 1st oil maintenance stats it is earlier than that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I guess I'm just anal about oil changes. I plan on changing at 250 miles, then again at the factory recommendation. I also plan on draining and refilling the transmission at the factory suggested 1st oil change. I've been using an additive called MotorKote in all my other vehicles and will add to the transmission. I can attest that the MK is one of the slickest additives I've found. It's even brought my 4x4 truck up to 24mpg during in-city driving. On a side note, I usually pour used oil through a coffee filter on it's way to the recyclers. Using a strong light on the filter will easily show any metallic particles.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Here's a cut-away picture of the cartridge from the dealer show.

Is that the same intake manifold used on the SS?

I'm trying to figure out how the air gets from the TB shown in the SS photos down to the lower end of the manifold shown on that stand.

1 - 20 of 448 Posts