Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to finally look to get a slingshot (as in wk 2/15) and tonight I get a flyer showing me my favourite one is back for 2019 Slingshot SLE (In lime green - my fav' but don't ask why), I go online to spec one up and...and....and it's knowhere! WHAT IDIOT SENT OUT A FLYER FOR A SLINGSHOT NOT FOR SALE. Well done! How to lose a sale before the customers even through the door. Off to get a Vanderhall instead. Just F'ing ridiculous!!!! Why the hell send out a flyer saying to go and look online, when it's not online? Not like the old days of typesetting newspapers is it? Web pages can be changed instantly!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Recommend you give the Vanderhall a thorough test drive to see how it fits you before buying.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe the Lime Green is one of the ICON colors. I didn't see on the website either. But our dealer has them all the time. I saw one yesterday that had the even had the slingshade to match.

·
Registered
86 Posts
+1 (I agree) on test driving the Vanderhall before making any decisions. I didn't like it at all. I'm not a fan of automatic transmissions in a fun vehicle like a motorcycle or 3 wheeler, the turbo seemed to take forever to kick in, and without turbo boost, the engine feels pathetically underpowered. I thought the cockpit was cramped, the seats were not comfortable in the least, and there's less than minimal storage space, even for a duffel bag. The one I test drove was several thousand dollars more than my 2018 SE Icon series Slingshot, and after driving the Vanderhall, didn't even consider it.

You might disagree with me and like the Vanderhall. That's OK. But if I were you, I'd do a long test drive before buying one.

BTW, it appears changes are in store with Polaris and the SS. Sales results the past year or two have been pretty disappointing for them. I'd bet they discontinue the least popular colors and/or models if they haven't done so already.

·
Vendor
2,226 Posts
Polaris has been doing this for the past two model years, they promote a certain color but can only be found online / in dealerships. A few other car manufacturers do this as well to help people going into the dealerships. Polaris only promotes 2 colors for the 2019 SLR, afterburner orange and red pearl. But there is actually 5. There is also a daytona yellow SLR, Envy Green SLR, and a Monument White SLR. Same with the SL models and so on. This way it encourages people to go into the dealer network.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I saw at least one post where the poster said he'd heard Polaris might start offering an automatic trans. I'd assume offering an auto trans would broaden market appeal since that's a market Polaris can't currently attract.
Ditto on the previous Vanderhall comments. Appeals to some folks, but not as roomy as the Slingshot.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My dealer told me this, is it reliable? Who knows, salesmen :)

Personally, I'm not interested in an automatic, but they should offer it as an option, just for broader appeal.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Vanderhall comes in lime green?

I put serious thought into the Vanderhall. The "Retro" look was very appealing.
Automatic tranny means my wife could drive. Heated seats and heated venting.

Biggest downfall......crowded for 2.
If you don't mind bumping shoulders while driving, it's all good.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
If we were affluent enuff, we would own a Vanderhall for those days we want to cruise around looking suave and sophisticated!

and we would own a SlingShot for the pure riding fun of it......................

Bill

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just about to finally look to get a slingshot (as in wk 2/15) and tonight I get a flyer showing me my favourite one is back for 2019 Slingshot SLE (In lime green - my fav' but don't ask why), I go online to spec one up and...and....and it's knowhere! WHAT IDIOT SENT OUT A FLYER FOR A SLINGSHOT NOT FOR SALE. Well done! How to lose a sale before the customers even through the door. Off to get a Vanderhall instead. Just F'ing ridiculous!!!! Why the hell send out a flyer saying to go and look online, when it's not online? Not like the old days of typesetting newspapers is it? Web pages can be changed instantly!
I agree with you about Polaris and their sales activities, but if you can find what you want and a dealership that knows what is going on go for it.
The Vanderhall we drove is toooo small. I am a big guy and it don't fit. Good luck.
jamesgn

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The biggest turn off for me is the seating. Two large guys can't sit next to each other. Just like a coach airplane seat. If I was going for the retro look and close quarters, I'd rather have a Morgan 3 wheeler.

Besides, if you really want lime green. Buy a well optioned used model and wrap it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Test drove a Vanderhall with my wife in the passenger seat. Way too narrow unless you’re really small. Another big problem is the windshield. I am 6’3” and the top of the windshield split my vision in two. I had to drive with my head looking around the side of the windshield. Uncomfortable but because the Vanderhall is so narrow at least it was possible. Salesman at dealer said he had the same problem and Vanderhall does not have any other windshields available.

The second problem with the windshield is that it is made of glass and does not have any side supports. Because of its location it looks like it would be great to use to support yourself while getting in and out of the vehicle. Try it once and you will probably be buying a new windshield. The dealer had a big warning on all the Vanderhalls integrity showroom.

I wanted to show my wife what turbo lag is. While going about 25 mph I stomped on the gas, put the peddle to the floor and immediately released it. We felt absolutely nothing. (My SS SLR would have broken the rear tire loose if I was in 1sr or 2nd gear.) Then I stomped on it again but this time I held it to the floor. When the turbo kicked in it accelerated quickly but there is a definite lag.

When we pulled back into the dealership the salesman was there to warn us once more not to grab the windshield on the way out. I think they must have had at least one broken windshield in the past.

I bought a used 2017 SLR. If you look at the picture you can see it’s black and white. It was originally turbo silver but was repainted before I bought it. The paint is beautiful but there is so much metal flake in the paint that the reflection sometimes hurts my eyes. If you’re really hung up on slime I mean lime green buy what’s available and have it repainted.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just saw this add on Craigslist Custom Polaris slingshot it’s in Canada just over the boarder.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
While the Canadian Slingshot looks pretty good, remember that the headlights don't meet US standards and removing the Canadian center Polaris panel and replacing it with the US version and US center Hella headlights (around $120 each on Amazon, but you'll need a few other parts) might be a PITA. Of course, your state DMV may not care, but it's something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I thought the Canadian version had two more headlights than the US one. Shouldn’t cost much to unplug two lights. Don’t get me wrong. There could be other expenses to bring it to the US.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Both US and Canadian models have 4 headlights standard. The US has two Center Hi/Low beam headlights and two outer auxiliary headlights. The Canadian model has two outer Hi/Lo beam headlights and two outer auxiliary headlights with a large coverplate in the center where the US headlights would be.
Canadian Model -

US Model -

I have a 2015 US model with the Canadian Headlights installed, so I have 6 headlights. I took my outer auxiliary headlights and placed them on a switched circuit and plan to move them to a circuit independent of the regular headlights so I have an independent emergency source of light in case of problems with the main circuits. I also switched the outer auxiliary headlights with the Canadian headlights so my outer headlights look like the Canadian headlights int he top picture while still keeping my center Hi/Lo beam headlights like the lower pic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts