Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I am an avid/daily motorcycle rider but I honestly have no talent when it comes to mechanics... I've changed oil/air filter/cold air intake, headers, and thats about it... while YouTube videos can usually get me through most installations, I am finding myself starting to get a little bit of cold feet... I am by no means well off or rich.

I'm meeting with someone tomorrow to possibly buy their SS for 20k cash, my hold up, is that there seems to be lots of little things/issues popping up for some people. I'm curious as to if this machine (being so new and most likely will need to go through various stages of repairs/issues so polaris gets it right... finally.) Would be a good one to get for someone with as little experience as I. The majority of you know how to properly work on your SS's and fix these issues like they are no problem so you may not be as worried about things popping up.

My absolute main concern is that I may get this machine, issues will start coming about, not know how to fix them and then will have to pay a shop to do the repair meaning it will end up costing a lot more than expected to fix these issues.

I am looking for honest and sound advice from an experienced/established person who can shoot me a straight answer. After driving one, I am hooked! I am frantically searching for one and would pretty much be a daily driver for me as I am in DFW Tx and like to save miles on my Silverado LTZ.

Would you recommend an individual with little to no experience mechanically invest in this machine?

Thank you all for reading and your input as it is valuable to me and many others like me that are in a similar position.

- Mateo

·
Registered
29 Posts
I purchased my SS after being crippled in a motorcycle accident. I used to love doing all my own work on cars/motorcycles. I haven't been able to turn a wrench since my accident. Other than a couple recalls that were handled by the dealer, mine has been reliable. No more maintenance than the average car. Oil changes every 5K miles, etc.

I've had the dealer do all the work I used to do myself. I've added a bunch of suspension mods and even a turbo! I've had mine almost 2 years and find myself going into the garage just to look at it sometimes. I would buy another tomorrow. You won't have any regrets on your purchase. The only downfall is the 20 minute fuel stops due to all the attention you get from others. Oh, and I've even been flashed twice by topless women, and that never gets old ;-)

·
Registered
480 Posts
If there is a major issue it will be a recall or warranty issue at this point. They have not been out long enough for the first run like mine to be out of warranty yet.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Actually a Slingshot is a great vehicle to learn to do many things a person may not think they are capably of doing. Not a lot of body work and parts in the way of getting to maintenence items, you can change oil and filter without lifting the sling. Also, there is a wealth of information and people on this site that will help you in any maintenance/mod work you may want to do. I would not let a persons perceived abilities hinder the purchase and enjoyment of the Slingshot.

Welcome to the site.

LC

·
Beware of Sling Ninja
232 Posts
You can also buy an Extended Warranty if you want extra protection... An additional two or three years for like $1300 or something like that? (Can't remember exactly.)

Reactions: Mateo the Great

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can also buy an Extended Warranty if you want extra protection... An additional two or three years for like $1300 or something like that? (Can't remember exactly.)
1300 is list price for Polaris own ESC you can get it for less if you buy it online.

Also please remember if you buy an ESC you agree to keep your SS stock for as long as the ESC is in place otherwise they can null and void it at the discretion.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
I think of it as a concept car. Things will break. The build is sound in places but questionable in others. Parts are expensive. Maintenance and preventative maintenance is ongoing. Aftermarket parts are expensive, although if they catch on and become popular they'll be "reasonable" but never "cheap." The owner has to learn the peculiarities of their machine because it's different from all the others and either learn to service it or pay someone else to learn and service their machine. Maintenance will require tools and skills you don't have, but so will driving it. Quality will never be "awesome." Replacing the clutch entails pulling the engine. The final drive is designed to fail (discussed elsewhere). Many parts are made in China, and you could get a machine where everything works well together or works horribly together (I have one of each) or it's just "average"--luck of the draw there. Getting caught in the rain isn't great, hail is worse. There are no windshield wipers. Snow should generally be avoided.

There are benefits; because it's not technically a "car" it's much more simplistic and therefore easier to work on, and there are less things to go wrong. Your power window motors will never break and require parts you can't find. You have a large, friendly support group here. And best of all, not only is it fun, fun, FUN to drive, but most everyone drools over it. Sometimes women climb in unexpectedly and are your new best friend, even if they were with their boyfriend moments before (the quality of women doing this varies).

It will never be a car, and never be "wildly popular" (it's just too impractical). It's cheaper and easier to maintain than a vintage car, but it will never be "cheap and easy to maintain" when compared to a small car you'd expect to run 150K+ miles.

You kind of have to be a little tough and a little more "prepared" to really enjoy it.

There's really a lot of up-side if you enjoy sort of a rebel lifestyle, it comes with the territory and it's not really describable; those who live it understand it, those who don't, don't. I guess you could be all conservative about owning one, but most of those people sell them within a year or so. Maybe I'm a bit more of a "fringe" personality, come to think of it, most others seem pretty toned down by comparison. I guess take it for what you will.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have thoroughly read the extended warranty and that it would have to stay stock. From my understanding, Even doing upgraded headlights or an LED light system underneath could void it as well? Is that correct? What about changing the steering wheel? The persons that I am looking to purchase has changed the steering wheel and changed his headlights out for brighter LEDs.

- Mateo

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I purchased my SS after being crippled in a motorcycle accident. I used to love doing all my own work on cars/motorcycles. I haven't been able to turn a wrench since my accident. Other than a couple recalls that were handled by the dealer, mine has been reliable. No more maintenance than the average car. Oil changes every 5K miles, etc.

I've had the dealer do all the work I used to do myself. I've added a bunch of suspension mods and even a turbo! I've had mine almost 2 years and find myself going into the garage just to look at it sometimes. I would buy another tomorrow. You won't have any regrets on your purchase. The only downfall is the 20 minute fuel stops due to all the attention you get from others. Oh, and I've even been flashed twice by topless women, and that never gets old ;-)
I would triple like this post if I could

- Mateo

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If there is a major issue it will be a recall or warranty issue at this point. They have not been out long enough for the first run like mine to be out of warranty yet.
If a Slingshot is out of warranty and another recall happened, would that be at my expense to get that recall fixed or would that be something Polaris/dealership would do since it was an issue from the beginning?

- Mateo

·
Registered
88 Posts
I personally can't believe that a reputable dealer would void warranty work over a changed steering wheel or lights as long as they were done properly and not a hack job.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I have thoroughly read the extended warranty and that it would have to stay stock. From my understanding, Even doing upgraded headlights or an LED light system underneath could void it as well? Is that correct? What about changing the steering wheel? The persons that I am looking to purchase has changed the steering wheel and changed his headlights out for brighter LEDs.

- Mateo
Here is the deal:

If you were to have an issue with the lighting system the dealer could theoretically say it was because a hack job was done and no bueno on warranty. As @Gooseman stated if done professionally and not a hack, doubtful that would be an issue. Any dealer worth his salt will say (as an example) "The rear brake light LED burning out had nothing to do with the headlights and it's warrantable".

If your steering angle sensor suddenly went haywire theoretically a dealer could say it's because you installed an aftermarket wheel and YOU screwed the sensor up (which can happen but you'll know right away after installing the new wheel). Mine went haywire after I installed my first wheel and dealer reset the angle sensor pro-Bono. It was a non-issue to them.

To get opinions about extended warranties, here is a good synopsis: Extended Warranty - A must.

And lastly, if you like the machine buy it. They are a hoot. You will not encounter one single issue that somebody here doesn't know about or cannot help you fix. If you change oil, have put on headers you know the difference between a crescent wrench and a torque wrench so rock on.

For some reason I see some people scared about these things and I am not sure why. Maybe it's because they look so different or they hear some complaints about problems. In all reality, the SS is a concept vehicle with a hodge-podge of parts. A Frankenstein if you will. It's got a Solstice motor, A-Frames, a Jeep clock-spring, a Volvo-ish turn signal stalk, a really, really good Aisin AR5 tranny that has proven to be reliable way beyond it's recommended peak torque rating and a bunch of other parts that all in all seem to work pretty good in harmony with each other.

But the real beauty of the SS, the true value is that they are an open canvas. Because they don't have to adhere to automobile standards and emissions the sky is the limit. Don't like your brakes? Plenty of options. Not enough power? Plenty of options. Don't like the steering wheel? Here are 40 other to choose from. Seats? What would you like?

Get what I am saying? It's a street legal go-cart and you can go ape-shit wild with these things and nobody including the government can stop you. ;-)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I personally can't believe that a reputable dealer would void warranty work over a changed steering wheel or lights as long as they were done properly and not a hack job.
The operative word is "reputable". IMO, proper dealer selection is a key to your enjoyment.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is the deal:

If you were to have an issue with the lighting system the dealer could theoretically say it was because a hack job was done and no bueno on warranty. As @Gooseman stated if done professionally and not a hack, doubtful that would be an issue. Any dealer worth his salt will say (as an example) "The rear brake light LED burning out had nothing to do with the headlights and it's warrantable".

If your steering angle sensor suddenly went haywire theoretically a dealer could say it's because you installed an aftermarket wheel and YOU screwed the sensor up (which can happen but you'll know right away after installing the new wheel). Mine went haywire after I installed my first wheel and dealer reset the angle sensor pro-Bono. It was a non-issue to them.

To get opinions about extended warranties, here is a good synopsis: Extended Warranty - A must.

And lastly, if you like the machine buy it. They are a hoot. You will not encounter one single issue that somebody here doesn't know about or cannot help you fix. If you change oil, have put on headers you know the difference between a crescent wrench and a torque wrench so rock on.

For some reason I see some people scared about these things and I am not sure why. Maybe it's because they look so different or they hear some complaints about problems. In all reality, the SS is a concept vehicle with a hodge-podge of parts. A Frankenstein if you will. It's got a Solstice motor, A-Frames, a Jeep clock-spring, a Volvo-ish turn signal stalk, a really, really good Aisin AR5 tranny that has proven to be reliable way beyond it's recommended peak torque rating and a bunch of other parts that all in all seem to work pretty good in harmony with each other.

But the real beauty of the SS, the true value is that they are an open canvas. Because they don't have to adhere to automobile standards and emissions the sky is the limit. Don't like your brakes? Plenty of options. Not enough power? Plenty of options. Don't like the steering wheel? Here are 40 other to choose from. Seats? What would you like?

Get what I am saying? It's a street legal go-cart and you can go ape-shit wild with these things and nobody including the government can stop you. ;-)
Thank you for your advice Blitz... I think the hold up when you say you don't know why people have concerns, is more on the lines of this concept vehicle is only a few years old. Hasn't been around as long as others, but I absolutely know that, that alone is no excuse not to get it. You guys have been awesome with your feedback and expertise. It is greatly appreciated.

- Mateo

·
Beware of Sling Ninja
232 Posts
"Would you recommend an individual with little to no experience mechanically invest in this machine?"

The simple fact that you read these forums, and can make a coherent post to ask questions... and you've previously done a header swap, probably puts you ahead of 70% of other Slingshot owners. You'll be just fine. ;)

·
Registered
651 Posts
@Mateo the Great One of the important things I noticed in your first post is your location. There seems to be a pretty active group of SS pilots in the DFW area. I'd bet the offer of beer and a wrench day would get most anything fixed.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
To me, the GM engine is a source of comfort and unlikely to be a problem unless you push it (too much) with boost. The biggest potential weak spot right now in my opinion is the swigarm/rear bearings, followed by the rear angle drive. Hopefully, the recall repairs should resolve problems with the swingarm. The rear angle drive, other than being noisy, hasn't seemed to be a significant problem for most owners.
If you're comfortable following a YouTube video, you should be able to handle any routine maintenance on your Slingshot.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
@Mateo the Great One of the important things I noticed in your first post is your location. There seems to be a pretty active group of SS pilots in the DFW area. I'd bet the offer of beer and a wrench day would get most anything fixed.
I was thinking the same thing - there is a huge contingent of SS owners in Texas. Hopefully in a year or less, there will be one more. :)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ask for the service and modification records and check with the servicing dealer before you finalize the deal. If all looks satisfactory, GO FOR IT !!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts