Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Filled up the slingshot premimum shell gas went to the dealer to get the seat recall checked had oil change they added Techon was driving for about an horydur no problems running or starting after that had a hard brake big foot hit brake and accelerator at same time engine stalled and I couldn't get it started again turns over will not run. Fires a little but won't sustain

·
Registered
589 Posts
Filled up the slingshot premimum shell gas went to the dealer to get the seat recall checked had oil change they added Techon was driving for about an horydur no problems running or starting after that had a hard brake big foot hit brake and accelerator at same time engine stalled and I couldn't get it started again turns over will not run. Fires a little but won't sustain
Sounds like the injectors are flooded or the fuel pump fuse is blown. I would check the fuses first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fuse is OK pushed (what I think is) the bleed valve on the fuel manifold and fuel squirted out so then I turned on the key assuming the fuel pump would run but there was no pressure in fuel manifold (nothing squirted out when bleed valve pressed) asuming the problem is at the fuel pump. I don't know what you mean by flooded injectors how do I fix that? Anyone familiar with the fuel pump? From the parts diagram it Appears to have a float switch at the bottom. Could it be stuck?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fuse is OK pushed (what I think is) the bleed valve on the fuel manifold and fuel squirted out so then I turned on the key assuming the fuel pump would run but there was no pressure in fuel manifold (nothing squirted out when bleed valve pressed) asuming the problem is at the fuel pump. I don't know what you mean by flooded injectors how do I fix that? Anyone familiar with the fuel pump? From the parts diagram it Appears to have a float switch at the bottom. Could it be stuck?
Update: checked diagnostic code, 3-168 over voltage then 4-168 under voltage. Have read about voltage regulator issues on ranger and rzr. any thoughts experience?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: checked diagnostic code, 3-168 over voltage then 4-168 under voltage. Have read about voltage regulator issues on ranger and rzr. any thoughts experience?
Found this in service manual:
"When the key switch is turned to "ON", the ECU activates the fuel pump, which pressurizes the system for start-up.
The ECU switches off the pump preventing the continued delivery of fuel in these instances:
• If the key switch is not promptly turned to the "start" position.
• If the engine fails to start.
If the engine is stopped with the key switch "on" (as in the case of an accident).
In these situations, the “check engine” light will go on, but will turn off after 4 cranking revolutions if system function is OK. Once the engine is running, the fuel pump remain on"

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Found this in service manual:
"When the key switch is turned to "ON", the ECU activates the fuel pump, which pressurizes the system for start-up.
The ECU switches off the pump preventing the continued delivery of fuel in these instances:
• If the key switch is not promptly turned to the "start" position.
• If the engine fails to start.
If the engine is stopped with the key switch "on" (as in the case of an accident).
In these situations, the “check engine” light will go on, but will turn off after 4 cranking revolutions if system function is OK. Once the engine is running, the fuel pump remain on"
Good find. Did it resolve your problem?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good find. Did it resolve your problem?
No. My SS is at the shop. Tried to start many times after the stall. No luck. Seems like the ECU hasn't decided to turn the fuel pump back on. If I had found this before towing it to dealer, I might have tried to reset the ECU though I don't know how.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
To reset the ECU, just pull the battery cover and disconnect the battery. This will cause the ECU memory to run down and wipe itself since it's not getting any trickle voltage to maintain the settings. You can then reconnect the battery, start the engine and drive. The ECU will relearn how you drive and rest itself accordingly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
To reset the ECU, just pull the battery cover and disconnect the battery. This will cause the ECU memory to run down and wipe itself since it's not getting any trickle voltage to maintain the settings. You can then reconnect the battery, start the engine and drive. The ECU will relearn how you drive and rest itself accordingly.
Thanks for the info. Too late for me. Already had it towed to the dealer... The dealer told me I had a dead battery and replaced for $300+. The "dead" battery was still cranking the engine so I don't think so. Update post revised. So the battery change didn't work After all. Dealer called and said they have to remove my stinger top to get to the fuel pump. I asked and they told me they had checked the ECU and fuel pump relay outputs. The saga continues...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info. Too late for me. Already had it towed to the dealer... The dealer told me I had a dead battery and replaced for $300+. The "dead" battery was still cranking the engine so I don't think so. Update post revised. So the battery change didn't work After all. Dealer called and said they have to remove my stinger top to get to the fuel pump. I asked and they told me they had checked the ECU and fuel pump relay outputs. The saga continues...
After replaced battery they found blown fuel pump fuse. Replaced fuse blew again. Ultimate resolution was to run fuel pump backwards using reverse polarity directly to the pump. No clue as to why the pump was seized in normal rotation. Could be Techron added during oil change? Not likely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts