Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have taken apart their base model to add accessories and stereos; Can you please help me understand exactly what these connectors are for or should do?

I know they plug into the SL infotainment head unit, but I am looking for more detailed info. Are there for the speaker? Is it simply the power and ground source? Is the small plug for the backup camera that is already ran to the back on the Titan model?

@RABTECH or anyone else. Can you help?

The other 2 wires/plugs are wired. Fog lights or accessory lights will be so easy to install, which is great!

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The first one is the power to the stereo unit. The big tan is constant hot. The middle wire is switched hot and the big black wire is ground. The other plug should have had a cap on it. I havent had time to tone it out yet to see where it goes.

And the second plug does not have anything to do with the infotainment system. It will still be unused after the install.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first one is the power to the stereo unit. The big tan is constant hot. The middle wire is switched hot and the big black wire is ground. The other plug should have had a cap on it. I havent had time to tone it out yet to see where it goes.

And the second plug does not have anything to do with the infotainment system. It will still be unused after the install.
Thanks rabtech. I figured you could answer these questions for me.

I am thinking the small plug (took the cap off for the pic) is for the backup camera. Please let me know if you figure out what it is for.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Thanks rabtech. I figured you could answer these questions for me.

I am thinking the small plug (took the cap off for the pic) is for the backup camera. Please let me know if you figure out what it is for.

Thanks again!
No. The backup camera is pluggeed direcly into the display unit. It is D on the back of the display unit. I believe it gets its power and data across the same cable. Here is a picture of the wire to the camera.

Here is a picture of the other cable that comes with the infotainment system that also plugs into the diaplay. There are only two plugs that plug into the diaplay. There are 4 places to plug into the display.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Here is a picture of the back of the display

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a picture of the back of the display

Very odd. I am either missing some wiring for the back-up camera. (I thought all base models already had this wiring ran?!) Or, I didn't look close enough to find it.

I find it odd that your wires are so nicely labeled and the pics I had above had no labels on the wiring.

I will have to look closer tomorrow I guess. I just really hope that the back-up camera line/wires are already ran from back to front.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
The backup cam plug is deep down in that hole in the dash im pretty sure. my cables were label from the factory. . You will only have the backup cam plug. Unless you have the infotainment system and have that harness pulled up there. What you up to anyway??

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The backup cam plug is deep down in that hole in the dash im pretty sure. my cables were label from the factory. . You will only have the backup cam plug. Unless you have the infotainment system and have that harness pulled up there. What you up to anyway??
I am trying to understand all the wiring that is currently laid out before making my final decisions on what to order for my cameras, monitor, and audio. Below is what I currently have in mind.

All the audio will be Kicker. BT amp, 2nd amp linked, and audio controller. Custom encloser with 6.5 inch in the front between the frame tube and 8 inch behind the seats in the covers.

These speakers will have LED in them, so I may be able to skip the LED interior light kit. See below.

I am going to fab a faceplate and throw the 7 inch monitor in it. I will hook this up on a toggle switch and have a camera mounted rear and forward. The monitor I am looking at lets you toggle between cameras.

Add up all that stuff and should be able to get it done for $1,000.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I am trying to understand all the wiring that is currently laid out before making my final decisions on what to order for my cameras, monitor, and audio. Below is what I currently have in mind.

All the audio will be Kicker. BT amp, 2nd amp linked, and audio controller. Custom encloser with 6.5 inch in the front between the frame tube and 8 inch behind the seats in the covers.

These speakers will have LED in them, so I may be able to skip the LED interior light kit. See below.

I am going to fab a faceplate and throw the 7 inch monitor in it. I will hook this up on a toggle switch and have a camera mounted rear and forward. The monitor I am looking at lets you toggle between cameras.

Add up all that stuff and should be able to get it done for $1,000.
I got ya. technically you will have the same style system I have. All we need is that three wire cord.. the power, switched power, and ground. I mounted my amps under the seats so I caught my amps ground on the seat bolts. And I went from battery to first amp across to other amp..
Putting an am/fm antenna isnt going to happen on mine. I just dont ever use it so I dont want the hole. If I ever want one ill put one on. I know its technically an open air motorcycle but I like my dead silence when I turn the key on. And with the factory head unit it just made that hiss. I used Kenwood for my head unit due to it having 4 volt preouts. I like having to turn my amps down. With more signal you can reduce the gain making the sound even clearer.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got ya. technically you will have the same style system I have. All we need is that three wire cord.. the power, switched power, and ground. I mounted my amps under the seats so I caught my amps ground on the seat bolts. And I went from battery to first amp across to other amp..
Putting an am/fm antenna isnt going to happen on mine. I just dont ever use it so I dont want the hole. If I ever want one ill put one on. I know its technically an open air motorcycle but I like my dead silence when I turn the key on. And with the factory head unit it just made that hiss. I used Kenwood for my head unit due to it having 4 volt preouts. I like having to turn my amps down. With more signal you can reduce the gain making the sound even clearer.
I don't want an FM antenna either. Too much work and I don't really care for the radio.

Are you not concerned about having a marine grade head unit? How will you try to keep it dry if for some reason you get caught in the rain or are trying to wash it?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I don't want an FM antenna either. Too much work and I don't really care for the radio.

Are you not concerned about having a marine grade head unit? How will you try to keep it dry if for some reason you get caught in the rain or are trying to wash it?
I will come up with some type of cover. I may put a marine detachable cover on it since it needs a tiny bit of filler on the sides. They make kits to put in boats. I don't worry to much about rain. But you never know what situation will come up when u are on the road. I know this pictire is a single din unit but they make them for double also. I used one on a trike I installed a while back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the sl and it says there are aux power ports between the seats and one on the dash but mine has only one in glove compartment. Anyone else have aux ports?

Attachments

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
I have the sl and it says there are aux power ports between the seats and one on the dash but mine has only one in glove compartment. Anyone else have aux ports?
I thought the same thing. Look above the cup holders. Up, it is facing down.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More wiring questions. I really wish there was more information in the manual, or I was better at understanding these things.

For Titan (base) model owners: If you pull off the black cap just in front on the 3rd brake light, you can fish the pre-wired back-up camera wire out of the small hole. It looks like below. Does anyone happen to know what each wire does?

The other end is hanging out behind the little "cubby" hole that is centered in the dash. It has me confused because it is labeled, but doesn't have the same wires as the other end. Anyone have an idea why this is?

I also found these two wires farther down hidden away. They both are not being used and are labeled INT POS and INT GND. I am guessing a accessory power source and ground. Anyone know what these might be for.

I know, I know.... lots of questions. I want to make sure I understand what wires I can tie into and use to make my accessories easier to install. I would prefer not to run new wires if there are already ones there to use.

As always, any insight is appreciated.

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
More wiring questions. I really wish there was more information in the manual, or I was better at understanding these things.

For Titan (base) model owners: If you pull off the black cap just in front on the 3rd brake light, you can fish the pre-wired back-up camera wire out of the small hole. It looks like below. Does anyone happen to know what each wire does?

The other end is hanging out behind the little "cubby" hole that is centered in the dash. It has me confused because it is labeled, but doesn't have the same wires as the other end. Anyone have an idea why this is?

I also found these two wires farther down hidden away. They both are not being used and are labeled INT POS and INT GND. I am guessing a accessory power source and ground. Anyone know what these might be for.

I know, I know.... lots of questions. I want to make sure I understand what wires I can tie into and use to make my accessories easier to install. I would prefer not to run new wires if there are already ones there to use.

As always, any insight is appreciated.
Since Polaris released an interior lights kit with the SS. I would assume that is the last 2 connectors. Positive and Ground

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since Polaris released an interior lights kit with the SS. I would assume that is the last 2 connectors. Positive and Ground
That is a good guess but if a remember correctly, the instructions for the light kit tell you to tie into the power and ground from the 12v plug in the glove compartment.

Reactions: Wolf
1 - 20 of 41 Posts