Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, lets get this clear. When I get mine I plan on getting performance winter tires for the SS and going on drives on Clear, Dry days. So no slush, dirty a$$ liquids flying into my helmet/SS/ Body.
I own a snowmobile so I got the right gear to take it out in the white stuff. The look on people's faces will be priceless and the SS should be fun also.

I wonder if the traction control will be capable to cope with some of the slippery condition I would meet on the roads. I don't think any of us will go nuts and commute during snow storms or sloppy days. The biggest problem will be when we drive on ice and packed snow in the residential areas.

So going out there a few times to have a blast sound like a good idea. Parking this thing all winter will get me going in circles till spring. I guess a few small drives to get it out of my system will be the best medicine. Lets not forget that the interior is waterproof and made by a great ATV/Side-by-side maker, so I'm not worried about the interior or even the exterior. If I get some scratches I can always wrap the SS :)

So, what you guys think?

·
Registered
160 Posts
All the vehicles I've had with traction control that had wide tires on the rear were useless in the snow. The traction control won't allow the rear wheel to spin; so the car would just sit in place with the engine revving. When you turn it off the vehicle will at least allow you to spin out of snow. The with the low ground clearance it will saddlebag easily. I personally would worry about the antis kid gravel and salt that is on te road. The small chips they use in anti skid cause almost as much spinning when it piles up on a low surface; not to mention the havoc it plays on the paint

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's my tire choice for in the white stuff
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 225/45R17 front
275/35R18 rear

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't planning on using the Kenda in the white stuff. Or even coming out after a dump of snow. Clear roads is all the SS is going to see.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I dislike running in the winter a lot, but with Polaris releasing the SS in November I guess I will just suck it up and enjoy. Maybe a snowmobile suit ?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think I'd bother changing the tire. If you're only going to drive it on clear roads you won't need it. There are usually several days during the winter where the roads are clear and dry....just stay away from the hard packed stuff that sometimes sticks around. I've had rear wheel drive sports cars that I could only drive in the winter on clear road days.....they were all completely useless and wouldn't hardly move at the slightest sight of slick roads.....of course I never put winter tires on them because I had no intention of driving them on bad roads.

Here's a thought....you said you have snowmobiles. I may be wrong but I'm guessing you have a snomobile trailer and often trailer your sleds to go riding? Why not trailer the SS south for a weekend or a weeks vacation and ride it in some warm weather? Maybe you're lucky and don't have to ever trailer your sleds to ride as far north as you are. My sleds always seen more miles on the trailer than they did on the snow.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Ship them to me in Florida. I would be very happy to keep your SS in Florida for the winter. No ice no snow. I would even send you pics ever so often. No charge winter storage. If you are interested email [email protected].

1 - 12 of 12 Posts