Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh.... They have one more SL in stock... MSRP +tax +license.... no freight or set up fees! Great dealership.

Owen Motorsports in Charleston, Illinois.

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
congrats to Wingshot! Painter the wait is worth it! They are awsome! Picked mine up yesterday!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What was the mfg date and how did the paint and edges look?
December. Did not notice many of the problems discussed here before. But paint edges still are a little rough. I did not notice any RPM problems, no bubbles around gauges, no discoloration or rusting in the headers, etc.

Frame welds look great (Frame is a real work of art) and the fit was not bad at all. Clearcoat is a little soft and you could tell it was hand painted and not computerized machine. Hood latches work great if you let it drop the last eight or 9 inches. If you don't do that they don't latch at all.

I'm sure after wingshot gets it home and looks it over he'll have many more comments to make about this particular machine. Overall the 2 SLs they had were the same in build.

·
Registered
186 Posts
December. Did not notice many of the problems discussed here before. But paint edges still are a little rough. I did not notice any RPM problems, no bubbles around gauges, no discoloration or rusting in the headers, etc.

Frame welds look great (Frame is a real work of art) and the fit was not bad at all. Clearcoat is a little soft and you could tell it was hand painted and not computerized machine. Hood latches work great if you let it drop the last eight or 9 inches. If you don't do that they don't latch at all.

I'm sure after wingshot gets it home and looks it over he'll have many more comments to make about this particular machine. Overall the 2 SLs they had were the same in build.
Thanks!! I was especially interested to hear what a professional painter thought of the paint and finish. Maybe they've cleaned it up a little since it's a December build?

What can be done about the soft clearcoat? The ones I've seen were the same and it didn't take much to leave a mark in the clearcoat.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
THANKS GUYS !
I had a great day, Painter is a cool guy and a great help getting the SS loaded up, thanks again Jim!
The dealership is very friendly and made us both feel like part of the team, met the owner(and his wife),GM,salesman and mechanics.
I just spent 2 days driving up from SW Florida to pick up the SS and when I got to the house tonight was too tired to even look it over close. I will check it out tomorrow and give my findings.
It was too cold to ride today, but couldnt resist a ride around the dealer grounds before loading into the trailer.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks!! I was especially interested to hear what a professional painter thought of the paint and finish. Maybe they've cleaned it up a little since it's a December build?

What can be done about the soft clearcoat? The ones I've seen were the same and it didn't take much to leave a mark in the clearcoat.
No where near a 'professional' paint job! I'm just saying it was better then some were describing in earlier posts. Maybe they are getting a little better at it. I did notice some slight bubbling in the clearcoat especially on the edges and a couple of actual runs hanging off the edges. Believe me, a little extra time cleaning up the edges before paint would've made all the difference in the world.

Most all of the paint problems that I Saw could be easily wet sanded and buffed to make it look 100% better. But the soft clearcoat is a different story. Correct that one would need to:
1. Remove the black hood inserts (which doesn't look too hard)
2. Wet sand with 800 grit paper to scuff
3. Re-clear over, color sand with 1500 then 2000 grit wet and buff.
4. Replace the black inserts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Both of the red SLs were produced this month and both had the same problem but not in the specific same place. It seems that the panels are not prepped correctly on the edges and that whoever is painting them is pretty inexperienced.

There is no buffing after clear coat and you can sure tell that what ever was sprayed on was left there to stay. It Polaris had a fully automated system they could get by with this. But these paint jobs are not automated - at least not yet.

Painting by hand can give you some excellent results but it takes work after the clearcoat is complete which is not being done because it was slow production tremendously. So far from the two I am saying, if you're looking for a professional paint job you're not going to find it. but if you're the average person and not looking real close it does look pretty good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts