Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a film can hold on this windshield? I think it's polycarbonate. If not, would you recommend spray painting? If painting, would you be able to see through windshield?

And color finish, smoke color for base model, or red for SL? Or smoked on red? Thanks for your help.

1.JPG

2.JPG

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would ask any of your local tinting places. I'm sure they've done it before. Would be super easy with the shield off the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
This is a great question. I have always painted my street bike windshields and I believe it is the same material.

I wouldn't paint the SS shield because of two reasons.
1. It is pretty much permanent.
2. You will have a really hard time seeing through it

I am taking mine to a local tint place (when i get it) and will have them put on 20%. I think 30% will be too dark and will really hurt your night driving vision.

Here is an easy way to see the darkness difference....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a great question. I have always painted my street bike windshields and I believe it is the same material.

I wouldn't paint the SS shield because of two reasons.
1. It is pretty much permanent.
2. You will have a really hard time seeing through it

I am taking mine to a local tint place (when i get it) and will have them put on 20%. I think 30% will be too dark and will really hurt your night driving vision.

Here is an easy way to see the darkness difference....

Nice tint job on your cars.
As for paint being permanent, for tall folks ~ 6' your eyes will be able to see front hood & shouldn't be a problem. So you're saying "no visibility for paint", and bad idea for short dudes.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
@Swinglo and @Baron, if I remember correctly, you and @Big Dog live around the Chicagoland area. Any places you'd recommend out there?

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Nice tint job on your cars.
As for paint being permanent, for tall folks ~ 6' your eyes will be able to see front hood & shouldn't be a problem. So you're saying "no visibility for paint", and bad idea for short dudes.
Thanks, but those are not my cars. It is just a random YouTube video.

It is probably cheaper to tint and you can tear it off later down the road. They make some very dark tints that would look very close to black paint.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Does anyone know if a film can hold on this windshield? I think it's polycarbonate. If not, would you recommend spray painting? If painting, would you be able to see through windshield?

And color finish, smoke color for base model, or red for SL? Or smoked on red? Thanks for your help.

View attachment 3416
View attachment 3417
Use a rubber coating spray paint and spray the insite of the windshield probably 7 coast
And if you dont like it anymore its easy to take it of :) recommendation not for windshield because you cant see

·
Vendor
118 Posts
Ive never actually tried to see through this stuff but, I use VHT Niteshades on things i want tinted( Side markers, Tail lights etc). Might be a worth a shot on this. Its easy to wipe off if you cant see through it.

Reactions: Big Dog

·
Registered
103 Posts
W

View attachment 3416
View attachment 3417
Windo tint will work just fine. Don't use the static cling tint.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Does anyone here have a picture of their Slingshot with tint. I was considering doing the same. Would love to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I took mine off and up to the local tint folks. They said "don't do it". It will crack (soon) from the sun and you'll destroy the plexi trying to peel it off. They showed me an example of what it will look liked when they tinted the plastic windows inside the garage doors at their shop.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Tinting...MIDCO tint on Cicero Ave burbank IL?, Ztech in Naperville or Countryside, or Tint To U mobile tinting in Orland Park (they stopped doing the tint to you part) now only tint by them. They're all in similar neighborhood for prices. I think precision tint is out of business. All give lifetime warranties against fading bubbling etc, use the best tints on the market. Have personally used all of them with various darknesses of tint. And, would utilize any again. Customer service-wise, the guys at Tint to U were quite nice. Easy to work with. However, no issues with any mentioned. Don't get freaked out by MIDCOs small space if you use him. He does good work. Some places will try and nail you for a minimum fee. Shop them. See who you like. When I brought an SUV to one of them and only wanted the sides matched to the rest. It was like 50 bucks a window. They will not be using a lot of film. Should not cost that much. The mrs, didn't want to break any laws. So midco has the tester that the police use. The law is written, in illinois you can't tint past 30% or something, + or - 5%. He'll tint it right to the legal darkness +1% and will give letter for the judge if you actually get nailed for tint. Never had a problem even when it was illegal. Roll down window when being approached. Problem solved. Check those places out.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I took mine off and up to the local tint folks. They said "don't do it". It will crack (soon) from the sun and you'll destroy the plexi trying to peel it off. They showed me an example of what it will look liked when they tinted the plastic windows inside the garage doors at their shop.
Im surprised to hear this.

Ill have to check on this Saturday. Hopefully that person is just over cautious. We get a little bit of sun in AZ, so I wouldn't want it to look crappy 3 weeks later.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tinting...MIDCO tint on Cicero Ave burbank IL?, Ztech in Naperville or Countryside, or Tint To U mobile tinting in Orland Park (they stopped doing the tint to you part) now only tint by them. They're all in similar neighborhood for prices. I think precision tint is out of business. All give lifetime warranties against fading bubbling etc, use the best tints on the market. Have personally used all of them with various darknesses of tint. And, would utilize any again. Customer service-wise, the guys at Tint to U were quite nice. Easy to work with. However, no issues with any mentioned. Don't get freaked out by MIDCOs small space if you use him. He does good work. Some places will try and nail you for a minimum fee. Shop them. See who you like. When I brought an SUV to one of them and only wanted the sides matched to the rest. It was like 50 bucks a window. They will not be using a lot of film. Should not cost that much. The mrs, didn't want to break any laws. So midco has the tester that the police use. The law is written, in illinois you can't tint past 30% or something, + or - 5%. He'll tint it right to the legal darkness +1% and will give letter for the judge if you actually get nailed for tint. Never had a problem even when it was illegal. Roll down window when being approached. Problem solved. Check those places out.
Hey Thanks... they're not too far from me, I'll call them and see what they say about plastic windshields and I'll post the information and pics and the results once complete.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Micheals and Rex used to sell a very good transparent glass paint that gave you about 24 hours to remove before it became permanent .Rit dye will dye most plastics in a pretty uniform tint .Do not use your bathtub ..

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
It all comes down to weather or not you need to see thru that portion. Im 6'3" tall and i dont even come close looking thru any portion of it. I will use Krylon Fusion Flat Black spray paint and paint the inside of mine most likely. It sticks to plastic very good. And it flexes. Also if you get a scratch in the paint you can just spray that spot and it matches and blends back in. The outside is shiney and the paint on the other side looks perfect and flawless when u use it. It also stops the sun from glaring and it shades the dash.

But it will block my radar detector. So im waiting for a few rides before I paint mine.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
If you don't wanna tint it. Plastidip it. If you WTF did i just do? Peel it right off.
I have 4 cans of black plasti dip that I got at home depot. I wonder if it will hurt the acrylic plastic. That is a great idea. Someone else do it. Then peel it and let me know how u like it.

Reactions: TravAZ
1 - 20 of 27 Posts