Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ordered a windshield for my base model from Polaris. They said it would be there in three days.... 14 days later I finally got it. I opened it up and I'm surprised with the mounting hardware... It's looks kinda crappy to me, and the photocopied vague instruction have me slightly confused as I cant fully read them... Has anyone installed one of these and used their own hardware? If so, How did it come out and what did u use instead? Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's the ripper series from Polaris... Part number 2881751 no support bracket cause the dealer said I would not need it... I don't care for the huge and unnecessary gaps it's has when I test fitted it.... What good is a windshield if it it had an 1 1/2 gap under the it in towards the center?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The gap is designed to allow airflow under the windshield, something most of us appreciate in areas with hot weather (don't know OP's location). Polaris considers that gap to be a selling point.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in CT and plan on riding well into fall but I feel like there is plenty of air flow for me already lol that's why I bought a windscreen to cut down on the..... well... wind. I know some will beat me up and call me soft but Id like lest of a blast when on the highway is all.... I could possibly use some form fitting weather stripping I have at the body shop to close it up a bit we'll see

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I personally have had a F4 Customs tinted 5+ windshield on my Slingshot. I have 30,000 miles on the windshield since April 2015 and love it. I'm in Northern Indiana / same weather as you have...
Love it. Have also added Baker 'Air Wings' for bringing in the cool
and keep out the cold.

EjSS55.jpg

EjSS51.jpg

I ride when ever there is NO snow on the ground
12 months a year.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
We are not familiar with how the Ripper series windshield mounts, but, we would suspect that the mounting hardware would be similar to the stock windshield we removed from our 2015 SSSL? Though, the 2015 stock windshield did mold to the body, actually creating rub marks in two places. We replaced the stock windshield with a Madstad, which has the gap underneath. The results:

15 degrees F to 105 degrees F, rain and shine.

1) The airflow underneath the windshield smooths out the turbulence within the cabin, making it a much more comfortable ride.
2) The airflow coming underneath quickly disperses where there is little to no blasting of air.
3)The airflow underneath moderates any temperature extremes within the cabin.
4) The hood directs most air and rain up higher onto the windshield where very little water makes its way underneath the windshield. Also, what rain that does sneak underneath mostly accumulates on the backside of the windshield and is then dispersed off to the sides.We have driven our SlingShot in street wear while riding in the rain and stayed mostly dry, (as long as we are moving. ;))

Our suggestion is if you have not ridden behind any windshield yet on the SlingShot do not be quick to condemn one that has a gap underneath,we were surprised and you just may be also. We suggest that you at least try the one that you received, if like our 2015 windshield, it can be quickly removed again so you can install another.

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I just mounted the same shield ripper series on my sling last night. It rode pretty good did not make my full face shake around to bad, like all the others I have owned. But it was a pain to fit on the sides because it hit the hood when closed. So I had to do some trimming to make it fit. I will go drive it tonight to see how it drives with the final mounting. This windshield was designed for people that were full face helmets since all others shields shake helmets so bad with negative air pressure. The madstad was the worst at shaking your helmet of all I have owned.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
This windshield was designed for people that were full face helmets since all others shields shake helmets so bad with negative air pressure. The madstad was the worst at shaking your helmet of all I have owned.
This is interesting that you experienced this for ours is quite different. With the stock 2015 windshield, with my Shoei modular helmet, you are absolutely correct where I had to wear ear plugs and my helmet was getting beaten so badly that even shorter rides at highway speeds could become uncomfortable. After installing the Madstad windshield the buffeting on our helmets is now negligible and we no longer wear ear plugs. I am 5'10", have the 9" Madstad set about in the middle of it's adjustment range which allows me just to see over the top going down straight and level highway.

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yes the madstad made this booming sound on the left side of my helmet that was unbearably. With no helmet u didn't notice it at all. And I wear a nice shoei quest helmet to. Getting ready to buy a Schuberth helmet for quietness, and see if it likes the sling better. I will let u guys know how this shield works this weekend, it will be the true test. I just bought the clear one and its about the same height as the stock Stock shield and not bad for my height at 5"8. Not bad price Cycle springs sells them for $300 shipped to my door, super nice guys.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
It is very easy to install and the new ones don't use the center brace. They use two push pins (that you drill) in the center portion of the shield that is hidden just below the hood line.
  1. Place the windshield on the machine.
  2. Tighten the bolts that go on the far sides of each side. (1 on each side)
  3. Mark the center holes (2) and drill them with the correct bit size noted in the instructions.
  4. Push the two center push pins in to secure.

10 min job.

Also, having that gap on the bottom is really nice. It will cut down on some cockpit buffeting and will allow just a little better airflow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I installed the windshield the other day and have taken it out so far on a cooler day (yesterday) and a warmer day and some rain (today) it's actually better than I thought it would be. The gap in the bottom isn't too bad on air flow however it lets quite a bit of rain in and then because there isn't enough air to move it, it pools up then drips down directly into the cubby hole in the dash where my phone was hiding.... Ugh... Luckily I have a waterproof case on it but it could have been a harsh lesson learned. For my personal height the wind hits me directly on the hair line on my forehead and after a while does become annoying... So in conclusion it's not bad for the price however I'll most likely be upgrading to a taller one with no gap next year.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
This weekend riding with mine. I have the same conclusion ass u. This is the smoothest cabin airflow out of all I have owened. But wind hits me right in the hair line. I think I want to look through shield now after owning this one. I want a taller shield with no buffeting because I wear ear plugs a buffeting hurts my ears. This shield has zero buffeting with me at 5"8 Plus the shield is optically clear to look through I want this for my next taller shield. I as just looking at the new f4 plus 5. I would like to know does this shield have buffeting in the cab. I heard the new was has no distortion. Because I know the old ones were vary bad on some. The f3 I rode in before was terrible made u sick. I want to know would don at f4 cut out vent on one for me like the ripper has at the bottom to bring air in and prevent the buffeting in the cab. The vents really work on the bottom. Their is no booming in cab

·
Registered
51 Posts
You guys have made some interesting points, I too am experiencing the "booming" sound on the left ear, I"m looking to purchase a new windscreen to help fix the problem. Madstad is my current thinking, but It looks like I might still have the issue. Would you guys suggest the Polaris Ripper Screen instead?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I had the original Polaris Blade windshield and once I added my Twist Dynamics Top, I started getting a lot of noise/wind in my left ear. I assume a passenger would also experience the same in his/her right ear. Once I switched to the MadStad windshield, the wind and noise disappeared.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
With our original stock windshield, which fit tight all the way across the bottom, it was discovered after installing our Madstad windshield that it was the turbulence and buffeting created within the cockpit by the stock windshield which was was causing most of our "discomfort." Allowing the air to flow underneath the windshield practically eliminating this turbulence and buffeting. Initially, it was nice to be able to adjust the Madstad, but once we found that "sweet spot" we have not adjusted it since. Now, I would be interested in comparing the MadStad to the newer "ripper" windshield, which also allows air to pass underneath?

With that in mind, we have an original, never installed, stock windshield and hardware for a 2015 SS, (that fits more tightly across the bottom), which we would be willing to trade for your "Ripper" windshield?

(Maybe where some folks believe that Polaris should provide for free to upgrade all Slingshots with the newer "heat management system", maybe they should also provide a new "ripper" windshield for everybody? :rolleyes: )

Bill

·
Registered
276 Posts
maybe that was what I was feeling was a buffering effect in the cab. With the twist and tilt it eliminates that also and does make driving more enjoyable

Reactions: DKF Texas
1 - 20 of 27 Posts