Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Will You Wear A Helmet?

• Always!

Votes: 94 42.5%
  • Never

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • Only at the track or while driving agressively

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • Depends on the weather, who I'm with and if I'm out just enjoying a nice cruise

Votes: 74 33.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the patent photos we have seen it doesn't look like the Slingshot will have a cage over the driver and passenger. So the question is, will you wear a helmet or not?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Helmets look cool, so why not. Time to bust out the Picotte replica, unless of course something leaner and meaner has arrived...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Will your state law require it? If so then yes 100% of the time. If it is not required, then I will adjust to when and where I am canyon craving.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would have to agree BMWDAD, if its the law, its the law. Just cruising and enjoying the day, NO. Aggressive driving or at the track a must in my book. I would hope the belts and the roll bars over the seats would do the job to keep your head intact.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is mandatory in Oregon, but it will come off as soon as I cross the Idaho border.....
Not necessarily. See Oregon Revised Statute 814.290. It provides an exemption from the helmet requirement if you are within an "enclosed cab". "Enclosed cab" is undefined in oregon law and there are no NHTSA specifications on what defines enclosed cab either. Since you would sit "in" and not "on" the Slingshot, an argument could be made that you would be exempt. It could be considered a cab, though "enclosed" .... well, that's thin. It would be up to the discretion of individual police officers and subsequently the courts if you were issued a citation. If I do end up purchasing a Slingshot, I do intend to test my theory and my argument. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only protection a helmet is going to provide is from flying debris. If you roll a Slingshot and the hoops fail, you are likely dead.... with or without a helmet. Personally, I think wearing a helmet in one of these defeats much of the purpose of the vehicle. If part of the fun is the open air feeling, the helmet is just going to detract from that. Would be better to have a low slung open top sports car if the open air vibe is what you are after. An open face helmet returns the "open air" feeling for the most part but then exposes you to the greatest risk once again: debris. I'd much rather have a taller rigid-framed polycarbonate windshield and ditch the helmet. Ditching the helmet without a taller windshield (the stock one looks low enough to expose you too much) in something this low to the ground is likely asking for eventually catching a rock to the forehead. That happening at highway speeds would be big trouble. I caught a bumble bee to the forehead at about 75 mph (no helmet faceshield) on a motorcycle once. I almost crashed. I cannot imagine taking a rock at that speed... especially since a rock flung off a tire from a vehicle in front of you is going to have it's own velocity so the speed at which that thing whacks you in the face could potentially be upwards of 100 mph.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll be wearing a helmet personally. First because I don't want to catch something in the face. Second because the Army would rip me a new one if I got hurt in any manner while using it without wearing one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Helmets are mandatory at all times for every person on every bike here in North Carolina. In some areas, the NC Helmet Law is in effect for those who ride Mopeds/Scooters and Bicycles.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Couldn't agree more, Robert (or is it Bob?).

It's legally a motorcycle in CA and thus helmet required, but I'm going to see if I get cited if I don't use one around town.

Hmm, how about a helmet w/faceshield but of open mesh construction to allow airflow.

The only protection a helmet is going to provide is from flying debris. If you roll a Slingshot and the hoops fail, you are likely dead.... with or without a helmet. Personally, I think wearing a helmet in one of these defeats much of the purpose of the vehicle. If part of the fun is the open air feeling, the helmet is just going to detract from that. Would be better to have a low slung open top sports car if the open air vibe is what you are after. An open face helmet returns the "open air" feeling for the most part but then exposes you to the greatest risk once again: debris. I'd much rather have a taller rigid-framed polycarbonate windshield and ditch the helmet. ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would love it if it wasn't required. Do you think there is a chance, even though classified a motorcycle in a State with a helmet law that it wouldn't be required for this? Or maybe not enforced? Perhaps I could get away with a bicycle helmet? Would prefer not to need it but would use it if driving aggressively or in cold weather. I've only worn a helmet once with the RZR and that was in the winter because it was better than freezing my head off. But I don't get real crazy with it either.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts