Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the Polaris Slingshot proves to be a massive hit, will others take notice? And if so, who will it most likely be? BRP? Ariel? Campagna? What do you think might be created in this battle-for-the-top and who will prevail with an affordable competitor?

·
You could've had a V8
2,361 Posts
I think you are right Vantage, this could start a new category and launch a segment - think original iPhone. There were other phones (T-Rex, handmade English models by the dozen) but it will take someone making a huge splash to take the market.

I wouldn't be surprised to see KTM have an upspec model.

I would also love to see Tesla build an all-electric.

The only downside I see is if legislation is passed to close the "motorcycle" loophole. That would kill the whole thing before it got traction.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right Vantage, this could start a new category and launch a segment - think original iPhone. There were other phones (T-Rex, handmade English models by the dozen) but it will take someone making a huge splash to take the market.

I wouldn't be surprised to see KTM have an upspec model.

I would also love to see Tesla build an all-electric.

The only downside I see is if legislation is passed to close the "motorcycle" loophole. That would kill the whole thing before it got traction.
Don't forget about Elio and all of their promises.. and legislation won't happen as long as people fight it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Maybe, with the Elio just around the corner as well i'd expect many more trikes running around XD

the problem with trikes though is usually either. A UGLY! looking at your Corbin, and B EXPENSIVE! looking at you Trex and your more then a mustang GT price tag.

even at 20'000 the Slingshot will be expensive but not as crazy expensive as the Red and IMO a better deal then the Spyder. I would think if anyone Can AM would follow though, but a BMW or Honda trike would be sweet and plausable as well! maybe Suzuki sense they no longer sell cars in the USA it would be an option for Suzuki Powersports to start selling a car like machine :)

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
I certainly see BRP fighting back with their own version and I think Suzuki would also make sense, but they are too slow moving. Polaris already has the dealer network and economies of scale working for them. I think their timing and size is perfect for this launch.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think the new 3 wheel roadster could be a hot category for sometime. It wouldn't surprise me to see all of the Powersports companies get behind this. It seems there would be ALOT less liability then a side by side (remember the Yamaha Rhino lawsuits) and most of them already have the components to push something out to market rather quickly.

1. Honda
2. Can-Am/BRP
3. Yamaha
4. Suzuki
5. Arctic Cat

Making a vehicle that is fun to drive and street legal is a winning combination. It takes planning to go out riding atvs/utvs because there just aren't many places around us. Being able to jump in something that provides the same level of excitement and use it every day will be awesome.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the new 3 wheel roadster could be a hot category for sometime. It wouldn't surprise me to see all of the Powersports companies get behind this. It seems there would be ALOT less liability then a side by side (remember the Yamaha Rhino lawsuits) and most of them already have the components to push something out to market rather quickly.

1. Honda
2. Can-Am/BRP
3. Yamaha
4. Suzuki
5. Arctic Cat

Making a vehicle that is fun to drive and street legal is a winning combination. It takes planning to go out riding atvs/utvs because there just aren't many places around us. Being able to jump in something that provides the same level of excitement and use it every day will be awesome.
That's exactly what could happen, provided the Elio and Slingshot prove lower priced 3-wheelers are able to sell like crazy. The market has potential to explode in this area. Interesting thought about Honda though, they usually don't stray too far from heritage.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I certainly see BRP fighting back with their own version and I think Suzuki would also make sense, but they are too slow moving. Polaris already has the dealer network and economies of scale working for them. I think their timing and size is perfect for this launch.
Suzuki did have the GSX-4 concept a while back 1998 i believe. it was in the second gran turismo so this thing is old...
but still very sweet! lop off a back wheel, update the style and mechanics and Suzuki could be back in business!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Suzuki did have the GSX-4 concept a while back 1998 i believe. it was in the second gran turismo so this thing is old... http://images.gizmag.com/hero/4189_22060584701.jpg but still very sweet! lop off a back wheel, update the style and mechanics and Suzuki could be back in business!
For as old as that thing is, Suzuki did use a good but of exotic materials in it. I bet it would be a load of fun though.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Suzuki did have the GSX-4 concept a while back 1998 i believe. it was in the second gran turismo so this thing is old...
but still very sweet! lop off a back wheel, update the style and mechanics and Suzuki could be back in business!
That would be sweet, but Suzuki can't even figure out that they are missing the boat in the Side by Side market. So I have little faith that they will move on a modern roadster.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah they do neglect the ATV market. but they don't neglect their motorcycle lineup :D so there is some hope!
I can definitely accept a Slingshot-fighter with their third-generation Hayabusa's engine as the power source.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If the segment/market does explode, expect to see the following in a TV show lineup near you:

* American Cyclecar
* Orange County Cyclecars
* Cyclecar Build-off
* Pimp My Cyclecar
* Chasing Current Cyclecars
* 3WheelerDealers
* Chop Cut Cyclecars
* CycleCar Crazy
* Counting Cyclecars

. . . And of course a cooking spin-off . . . Two Even Fatter Ladies and a Third Wheel :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't forget about Elio and all of their promises.. and legislation won't happen as long as people fight it.
Elio is trying to close that loophole so that they can bring their product to market as a car.

The good news is that the Elio will never, ever, ever actually come out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
^ Why don't you think the Elio will never come out? I thought people had deposits down on those things?
You can put a deposit down on a pet unicorn - that doesn't mean it will ever exist.

The Elio will never come out because the company is run by people who are in way over their heads. Deadlines keep slipping, the only thing they're spending money on is marketing, and pretty soon we'll all be hearing that they've been taken over by their creditors.

I wish it was real. I really do. But, you need business acumen to get a car company rolling, not just a dream.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i dunno a huge chunck of their advertisement is by the various news networks. I've heard them mentioned multiple times on talk radio! of all places

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think this will make BRP/Cantam step up cause they are always chasing Polaris. I would think the other powersports companies will take notice and maybe do something.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts