Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would guess that bringing an open cockpit vehicle to market in September will likely mean a limited run. This will allow a spring release of a 2016 model which will be the "second" model year. It's hard to sell motorcycles after Labor Day anywhere snow falls, imagine buying a Slingshot in October and winterizing it 3 weeks later.

Of course those of us in Texas can drive one year round, you may end up doing a fly and drive as the dealers down here will be more likely to have them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
New Spyders are released in October, but deliveries don't happen until January or February. Further, recalling the intro of the original Spyder, there were very few built that year - more the next. Can Am wanted to see if the bike was a hit or a miss with the market. The good news is that the first ones were the least expensive too... : )

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my area of NC, you can possibly ride up Christmas and depending on the weather and your gear, you could sometimes ride in January (mostly not though) and return to weekly riding by the fourth week of February.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Gonna have to test out the warm weather gear of motorcycles - heated pants, jacket, gloves. Might be able to run 10 months out of the year in VA. Hell, it will theoretically run when it snows (3 wheeled stability) though I wouldn't want the back tire in the slush. Studded rear? :eek:

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I stopped by a local dealer today and the sales rep said they expected to get 3 in initially. this fits with what I received in an email from a different dealer. I had read a business article online that estimated Polaris would build 3,000 units in the first year. Given a total of around 1700 Polaris dealers and some dealers not meeting the space/accessory inventory requirements Polaris is estimated to have imposed (600 sf display space and at least$30K inventory for accessories), this sounds like a reasonable ballpark number. Personally, I think they should be able to sell more than 3 at each dealership. I'm just waiting to see one, sit in it, and hopefully have test drive before I possibly buy one.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My dealer here in Central Illinois said he would get about 3. And that it would only be the SL. I am first on the list with another one behind me. but more may have put money down by now. So someone is going to be left out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I am hearing limited run for first year to see how sales react and then going onto more of a mass production the next year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I stopped by a local dealer today and the sales rep said they expected to get 3 in initially. this fits with what I received in an email from a different dealer. I had read a business article online that estimated Polaris would build 3,000 units in the first year. Given a total of around 1700 Polaris dealers and some dealers not meeting the space/accessory inventory requirements Polaris is estimated to have imposed (600 sf display space and at least$30K inventory for accessories), this sounds like a reasonable ballpark number. Personally, I think they should be able to sell more than 3 at each dealership. I'm just waiting to see one, sit in it, and hopefully have test drive before I possibly buy one.
I was at the dealer meeting, they said they've signed up 350 dealers in NA right now for the first batch of deliveries

1 - 20 of 29 Posts