Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Wicked Webby DDM Rotrex Supercharger review

9K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  wickedwebby 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok all my Slingshot friends,

Just completed installing my DDM SC kit on my Trackhamr quadshot. A thanks my to Brother, Son, Wife and neighbor for the extra helping hands.
ALL I CAN SAY IS, WOW!!! Plenty of power. Have about 100 miles down the road toward the 500 mile fine tune-in (ECU learn).
The blow off valve sounds like a whale exhaling!!! Very cool.
Big shout out to Kevin (Kev here on the forum) @ allthingsslingshot.com for the great customer service and follow ups during/after my purchase.
This is going to be more of a review vs install guide because I won't even try and compete with Dave @ DDM's install guide. Dave is top notch by the way. Very attentive to emails and phone calls.
Follow the guide and you'll will be G2G. I just have a couple of pointers.
Also, a big thanks to Bob @ ODB/mefiburn.com for the quick turn around on my ECU tune.
I did my install over a week. A few hours a night here and there.
I also added the PLM 2.5 header, PLM exhaust, DDM coolant re-route and upgraded my coolant tank to my recipe.
Last shout out to Troy @ Trackhamr. Thanks for the quad kit that allows my Slingshot to put down the added power and utilize it in all in the twisties.

Couple install tips:

*2016.5 and newer: completely remove all the radiator shrouds, front, behind, lower and upper. I also removed my radiator. Dont mess with trimming them.

*Rather than grind off part of my OEM airbox bracket (my 2018 didnt even use it) per the directions. If needed. I just removed the whole thing.

*Take your time. 1 step at a time. Do not rush any thing. Nothing hard. Just be sure of your work.

*Make sure you mark your front clip brackets well. Then you do not need to mess with adjusting it during reassembly.

*Have at least 3 people to remove/install your hood.

*Do not tighten either 2 oil cooler line clamps at the oil cooler until the inter-cooler is completely in and installed. Do it from underneath your jacked up SS after the intercooler is bolted in.

*Double check that your oil lines are not getting pinched. One of my lines from the oil cooler to the top of the canister was getting slightly depressed by the hood bracket when closed. Was a quick and easy fix (hose re-routed).

*I chose to prime my SC with the fluid before putting the belt on. Even though, I still bled the oil system toward the end as directed. Be careful not to spill this crazy expensive proprietary blue goo. Goes for over $100 a quart! Oil system doesn't even use a full quart and only needs to be changed every 50,000 miles or 2 years.

*Follow the install guide regarding break-in, tune, and checking for SC system oil leaks and things rubbing.

I will attach a few pics.

Bottom line...

My Trackhamr quad shot now is as fast as it looks!!!
Love the reliability and power right off idle of a supercharger!

Webby

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks Cotton!

Honestly. Right now, I don't even feel the need to go down to the hotter pulleys.
[Closed course, of course, REVIEW BELOW]:
Actually, couldn't resist a young college looking buck challenging me to a short race yesterday.
I did ring it up to 4k rpm. Kid was driving a black/red newer 370z with turbo emblems on it (don't know if he really had a turbo).
Guy was eye balling my quad shot hard. This as he pulled up very slow to the right of me.
Guess my supercharged decals didnt dis-sway him. So he rolled his window down and started revving his sh!t. Thing, at least, had exhaust. It actually sounded good. I was wearing my half-shell helmet and mouthed to him, "Your gonna lose." He motioned bring it.
We hit it at the green. He had a better launch than me (I was excited and laid down too much rubber), got me by about a car length initially. I then reeled him in and passed him at around 3-4k, shifted into 2nd (still short shifting during this tune phase). Heard my loud a$$ whale spout pressure relief blow off valve sounding off. Both tires broke loose when I shifted. Dude was way behind me now. I let off it in 3rd. Dude decided to hang way back then. HAHAHA!!
Felt good educating some young buck. I know, a newer turbo 370z is prolly not the biggest fish to fry and brag about but it was fun! Not saying his turbo wouldnt have reeled me in at crazy triple digits.. Dont know.... But, honestly.. I didnt do my build to do all out track top speeds... Been there, done that, in me younger years with hopped up crotch rockets.
The power right off idle with my Quad shot Supercharger and the way it hooks up is WAY, WAY TOO FUN!
I am very, very, satisfied with my build.

WW

#7 ·
Isn't that cute :) Let me know when that's not enough power for you and you are ready for the big leagues...

Just messing with you! Nice write up. I'm loving my boosted quad and ready to get my boost controller in so I can crank up the power. Hopefully will have that in soon.

Your next step will be upgrading cams and replacing the pulley.

#12 ·
CAN'T WAIT TO JOIN YOU IN SOME QUAD RUNNING @ WOKKA even though Im only running 9 PSI stage 2 boost with my zzp turbo please be sure to get a good look at the way my rear quarter panels fair in my new TrakHamr conversion from behind when we meet , it may be the only time you get close enough to see them up close ! lmao now

#9 ·
#10 · (Edited)
wokka,

That is really cool to hear. I havent got on it real hard yet up to redline, as I am still letting the ECU do the fine tuning.
I did notice yesterday, while zipping up the gears. My TC system did allow some controlled tire spin but was slightly cutting my power even when shifting. I will try to all out run with the TC off once I clear the 500 mi mark.
Here is a video of it. My daughter's friend's perma grin is priceless!
Feels like my Quadshot will lift the front wheels with all the low end grunt if I had sticky enough skins (vs the stock tires).

Webby

#11 ·
Thank you so much for your DDMWorks supercharger order @wickedwebby I hope more realize soon our Price Match Guarantee, Plus 5% BACK ! can't be beat , and those points really do add up fast!

Also I'm so excited to be joining you with my own Trak Hamr install Sept 5 . As part of the retail sales and installations, transfer from TrakHamr to All Things Slingshot I will be participating in three of the last installs to be done there that weekend. Watch for some great photos to follow !

#14 ·
Not going to lie...I am half tempted to go from my Hahn Turbo kit to a SC...I think the one thing that the turbo kit is killing me on is the initial take off. I have been using Draggy to get some times and I can't seem to drop my 0-60 to under 4.4 seconds. I don't do a lot of high speed runs, so the instant power is starting to be more enticing.

#15 ·
Br4hm4,

I suspect your turbo set up would pass me once into the crazy fast triple digits. Though. from idle, slow speeds and hwy roll-ons.. This dang SC really shines! Also, 0-60 and quarter mile times mesh well with a SC setup.
Lots of instant tq and hp right off idle all across the rpm board. I know my SC's top end "kick" doesnt have the same kind of "kick in the teeth" your turbo does.
I wouldnt ditch your turbo setup just yet. Just know that each boost setup has its own place it really shines (As you can tell, I like turbos also. I just have burnt up too many motors in my day.
Getting greedy... Adding too much boost for too long).
I am getting ready to install the 100mm pulley, but I really dont feel like it needs it... But I already did all the required upgrades to use it safely with reliability. Upgraded to the metal coolant over flow tank, coolant re-route, full 2.5 in header and exhaust, race muffler with no cat. So, I figured.. Why not make the best out of these first 500 miles of ECU fine tuning???
I still dont think I would ever feel the need to launch mine with the TC off. I wasnt even on it the other day (lower rpms) and made a bit of a sloppy shift (slow, lazy with my clutch) into 3rd and my ass-end chirped and kicked out a foot or so from all the "right now" power in the lower rpms. Glad my TC was on.
Long and short.... Lots of fun even below crazy speeds with the SC set up.

Webby

#16 ·
I also suspect I am dealing with some minor boost issues. I am going to get my AFR/boost gauge installed and data log everything just to make sure I know what I am dealing with.

I've mostly avoided the SC because of the inefficiencies at higher altitudes. It always feels like the SC needs to have the pulley upgrade done to keep up with the turbos at around 6-7 lbs of boost. I may just have to turn the boost up since the 4 wheel kit is making the slingshot too predictable lol.

#18 ·
The BLESSING....
Quad kits make the SS handling more stable, safe and much more predictable...

The CURSE.....
Quad kits make the SS handling more stable, safe and much more predictable...

LOL!!!

Webby
True story...went on a 300 mile ride this past weekend in the mountains...and not once did the slingshot scare me...even when I was doubling the speed limit in turns...

#19 ·
I agree and will add,
After picking up my Trackhamr quad SS in Mi. I headed back to MN via superslab.
Simply was amazed that I could set my cruise at 90mph and seemlessly drive no handed and my SS would stay true as an arrow.
Like a high end sports car.
I didnt realize how squirely my stock SS was at highway speeds until going to the Trackhamr quad kit.

WW

#22 · (Edited)
Ok all,

Didnt think I'd do it. In all honesty.. Dont know why I did.. BUT.. Guess it is true.. There is no such thing as too much FUN! Or hp/tq!
Got my hotter pulley (100) and installed it yesterday.
Another big WOW! From me. Even my butt dyno could noticeably feel the extra boost. Still rips up the tread (which is hard to notice the increase as much). BUT. what is very noticeable is how much harder it hits right off idle rpms and now even in 5th you can very much notice the boost kicking in at the low rpms.. EVEN IN TOP GEAR!!!

When I decided on this kit. After talking to Dave at DDM at length. My intentions were to NOT do the additional power upgrades (also required to safely, reliably run a the smaller pulley) I just wanted the extra reliability (2.5 in header, exhaust, coolant re-route, upgraded metal coolant tank, also did the assault industries hood vent...etc....). So glad I did those upgrades and decided to switch out my 105mm.

Very fun addition to an already very fun kit!!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS LITTLE UPGRADE!!!
Super easy to change pulleys on the ROTREX DDM kit. Getting down in there (its a squeeze) to pull the SC belt tensioner was the most difficult part. 1st pic (105mm off), 2nd pic (100mm on).

Webby

#31 ·
I am on day 1498 of ownership...and I think I am done...unless I get the built block...I still have 2 mods at home I have to install this week.

Reactions: Kev and wickedwebby
#26 ·
LOL, why would the cruise be affected? Traction control, brakes (including parking) and speed are the only things that could prevent your cruise to come on. Speed as in, it has a minimum to hit. I haven't tested on the sling, but most vehicles are 25 - 30 mph.

If any of the sensors affecting the above list are erroring, it will prevent cruise.

#27 ·
Wokka,

Some guys with any type of boost have had cruise control issues (mainly with hills) where their boosted SS will accelerate too fast while the cruise is on regulating speeds. Causing the cruise system to think that you just gave it a throttle input. Thus, kicking off the cruise.
I've been good thus far.

WW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.