Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think people need to stop comparing a Can am spyder to the Slingshot. Our shop in Foxboro MA just took Slingshot on, and I sell Can Am spyders used and it's a great product, but really a Spyder is like riding a snowmobile with tires, appeals to mostly older folks that don't want to ride a death-trap HD trike that couldn't be fun going around a corner if it's life depended on it. Most of the ones I sell are to folks that can't ride a motorcycle anymore because of MS, etc.

The slingshot is a balls-to-the wall roller coaster with a manual transmission and feels like a race car. I drove the Slingshot this past Tuesdsay in MN at the Polaris dealer meeting and it literally rips, and will most likely out-handle a spyder, straight line would be a good race, but fun factor and handling?

Forget about it, Slingshot wins, and wins with a grand slam. Plus your audience is far far broader with the Slingshot. Guys that drive sportscars will buy a slingshot, but they won't look twice at a Spyder, maybe not even know what one is. Sure, the Slingshot is a "motorcycle" but it's the car crowd that it will draw. Nothing compares to a Slingshot for the$$, Rich dads will buy them for their kids, the young professional crowd, etc. And it is definitely far from being ugly. It's menacing from the front actually breathtaking because it is so wide. Can am spyder looks goofy sitting next to a Slingshot. Just because they both have 3 wheels, that's about all they have in common

·
Registered
267 Posts
Chris .I think you hit it right on the nuts .I could not agree anymore with everything you have to say .I have always been a sports car kind of guy and I have will always have my Harley Davidson but this is a completely new beast for the stable. For me it's all about the fun and the wow factor. It's going to be fun and cant wait to pull into a Saturday morning Cars and Coffee next to all the exotic Italian cars and see the crowd this will gather at the beginning.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hopefully these car guys and two wheels guys won't be wrapped around a telephone pole within a few minutes after they take delivery thinking they can drive anything........ I know it took a few hundred miles to get used to the Spyder when I first got it years ago.

BTW.......... I see your photo and raise you this ..................
spyder chick.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chris .I think you hit it right on the nuts .I could not agree anymore with everything you have to say .I have always been a sports car kind of guy and I have will always have my Harley Davidson but this is a completely new beast for the stable. For me it's all about the fun and the wow factor. It's going to be fun and cant wait to pull into a Saturday morning Cars and Coffee next to all the exotic Italian cars and see the crowd this will gather at the beginning.
I couldn't agree more! We can't wait to storm the Cars and Coffee with our Slingshots here in Austin. People aren't going to know what hit them :smuggrin:

Hopefully these car guys and two wheels guys won't be wrapped around a telephone pole within a few minutes after they take delivery thinking they can drive anything........ I know it took a few hundred miles to get used to the Spyder when I first got it years ago.

BTW.......... I see your photo and raise you this .................. View attachment 277
The stability control will keep a lot of people in check. It works really well and the Slingshot is really balanced even with it off.

Now you need to one up us again and get a new picture with her in a Slingshot :snaphappy:

·
Registered
155 Posts
A couple things:

1. Chris, you hit it right on the head and I couldn't agree with you more.

2. Cars and Coffee is going to be so much fun! The Slingshot is going to get $120,000 worth of attention for a mere $20,000.

3. The Slingshot takes almost no getting used to. The driving mechanics are all virtually the same as those that you learned on your 15th year of life. The Driver Aids will keep you in check and even the most ham fisted driver will be able to keep it between the ditches.

4. That is the first time that a Can-Am Spyder has looked even remotely appealing to me.

·
Registered
843 Posts
We can't compare, two different driving style...sorry! The Spyder is like a bike...The SS more like a car...The only comparison is with the V13R!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I test rode the Syder RS and RT during a Can Am demo. They were very different from each other; let alone a motorcycle or car. As such, I think a direct comparison with an SS just isn't particular.

Maybe the better comparsion is which one will grab the buyers. I'm sure they'll be some car guys come over to the SS. However, seems like there is still a big market for those of us looking for a different experience. The Syder caught my attention because it was unique and offered a new riding experience. I decide not to get one, but still appreciate it for what it is.

I'm now interested in the SS for the same reason...it's something different. I say choose your ride and enjoy yourself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts