Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking the reason I got a SL is because the guy that had a hold on it decided to cancel due to the fact he couldn't get insurance. I just happened to be there talking to the salesman on that day. I put a payment on the SL. How many of you would have gotten the SL if it were available. I understand the adding and saving money thing, however, all the adding and changing on past bikes I have been involved with always seemed to create more problems then money saved. I would have ordered the gray one on the first round if the red wasn't available. I love all sport cars whatever color but red is my choice anyway.

upload_2014-11-11_11-13-14.jpeg

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I was thinking the reason I got a SL is because the guy that had a hold on it decided to cancel due to the fact he couldn't get insurance. I just happened to be there talking to the salesman on that day. I put a payment on the SL. How many of you would have gotten the SL if it were available. I understand the adding and saving money thing, however, all the adding and changing on past bikes I have been involved with always seemed to create more problems then money saved. I would have ordered the gray one on the first round if the red wasn't available. I love all sport cars whatever color but red is my choice anyway.

View attachment 2148
I agree Hogg, I done quite a few mods on different bikes, nothing drastic but they enhanced my experience. Seems like no matter how careful you are the job never comes out looking like it came from the factory like that.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
It sounds to me like everyone here (myself included) bought the base model as a preference. I don't think anyone got stuck with it per se.......I could be wrong.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Interestingly I have toyed with the idea of switching (getting stuck with) the SL if my dealer only gets two SLs to begin with. I wanted the grey from the beginning but not because of the color but for the lighter weight.

I would have stripped all the parts off the SL so I decided against it and now I am contemplating just that so I don't have to wait until maybe January for my Base to show up. Still on the fence and my dealer may not even let me.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
Sorry Hogg, saying stuck with it wasn't meant to have a negative connotation. Not even a little. I also realize that it was my way of describing it, not yours.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You asked so I suppose you want to know. To me, the red seats of the SL were a turn-off...not saying you shouldn't like them...they just weren't working for me. Initially, I placed a deposit on a red SL in spite of the seats but had a nightmare about it that night. Early the next morning, I changed my order to a base model and then, upgraded it to an SL through options. I ended up spending $600 more on the titanium SL than the red SL but will have the cast pull-off wheels/tires as backup and it's worth $600 to me to not have to deal with the red seats should I decide to do something creative to the color scheme later in life or not.

I already have a grey Morgan Three Wheeler and it attracts entirely too much attention, as is...I didn't want anything that was going to draw any more attention than necessary especially from the LEOs. I suspect my SS will live a tortured life of hell or at least I can hope so.

BTW, my SL options (except the forged wheels) have been sitting at my dealership for a month and a half now.

Z

·
Registered
542 Posts
SS or SL Slingshot? Easy choice was the SL because it was Red. If Polaris had colored the SS red then that's what I would of gotten. I do like the informant option with the reverse camera. The bigger wheels don't really matter either way.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I do like the informant option with the reverse camera.
Carbon_One, You might want an informant riding with you....BUT....
some of the things i plan on doing with the Slingshot....i think an informant will NOT be welcome in it:eek::rolleyes:;)
Yes, I know it was a typo, but it was a funny typo, LOL
But I am getting the infotainment system in my GREY one.
Info, YES, Entertainment, YES, low down, tattletail, informant, NO!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Two primary reasons for me. The grey is about the color of our roads and I wanted a color that other drivers would see. Secondly, my wife liked the SL wheels.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Darn spell check. o_O Won't be doing nothing fancy with the Boss riding shotgun. :bored: Solo might be a different game.:cool:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Everyone knows that red is the fastest color. Also....... you know what they say about big feet (wheels) don't ya ????? :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Does the SL sit higher off the road by about 1/2 to 3/4 in because of the tire/wheel size?Just thinking out loud.
they sit the same height, on the SL the rims are bigger but the tires are shorter, on the SS the rims are smaller and the tires are taller making them the same total height

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Does the SL sit higher off the road by about 1/2 to 3/4 in because of the tire/wheel size?Just thinking out loud.
The 17" tires are 50 series vs. the 45 series 18" of the SL. They are both 35 series in the rear. This would make the SL a little more raked (sloped lower in front to higher in back) but it would be unnoticeable unless the two were side by side and you were looking for it.

I haven't read anywhere that the base and the SL have different suspension tuning so the front of both will be about the same height and the SL will be a little higher in the back.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think the red looks better by far, and it would certainly be nice to have some of the upgrades, but one big thing I'm counting on, even if it is slight, is a softer ride in the base over the SL due to the bigger sidewalls on the tires. Aside from that, I like the price of the base, and there were 13 on the waiting list for the SL. For the base? None.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I think the red looks better by far, and it would certainly be nice to have some of the upgrades, but one big thing I'm counting on, even if it is slight, is a softer ride in the base over the SL due to the bigger sidewalls on the tires. Aside from that, I like the price of the base, and there were 13 on the waiting list for the SL. For the base? None.
Wow, and I figured SL stood for Slingshot Limited. But word in my inner circles says they are outselling(/preordering) the faster gray ones 7 to 1!

Reactions: Mike Mtl
1 - 20 of 32 Posts