Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Why even compare to a car?

7K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  ray nellis 
#1 ·
Okay, I’m trying to understand the various posts on the internet that compare the Slingshot to a Miata, for example, just based upon price.

Shouldn’t the Slingshot be compared to the Can-Am Spyder (about 20k) and the Harley trike (around 40k)?

Help me understand why if you are considering a Miata you would even be looking at the Slingshot?

For me, I’m considering a Slingshot but have no interest in a Miata.

I just don’t see how this is “apples to apples”. The ONLY thing “similar” is a particular price point.

Just a bit confused on the logic and rationale on this comparison (car vs. Slingshot).

Thoughts?

#2 ·
I think it's because of the "car like controls" and the corner carving performance that they have been promoting in the teaser videos. To me the Slingshot directly targets the Spyder, but on the other hand I don't really consider the Spyder to be a canyon carver or track day vehicle. To be honest, I wouldn't really want to go fast on a Spyder at all. The Miata is the next closest thing since it is an open top vehicle with a low price point and a blast at the track. While the Slingshot isn't a car, I think it will have the performance Miata and the freedom feel of a motorcycle. And that is a wonderful thing :cool:

#3 · (Edited)
The Miata is the closest vehicle in terms of:
1. Side by side seating
2. Steering wheel
3. Open top
4. Small / light weight
5. Quick handling
6. Perceived price

I don't see many people purchasing the slingshot to replace a motorcycle experience.

The Spyder, to me, is a compromise of both motorcycles and cars. Not as nimble as a motorcycle or car and no more protection/safety than a motorcycle.

EDIT: Fixed it.

#5 ·
The Miata is the closest vehicle in terms of:
1. Side by side seating
2. Steering wheel
3. Open top
4. Small / light weight
5. Quick handling
6. Perceived price

I don't see many people purchasing the slingshot to replace a motorcycle.

The Spyder, to me, is a compromise of both motorcycles and cars. Not as nimble as a motorcycle or car and no more protection/safety than a motorcycle.
If the hype is real I plan replacing my motorcycle with it

#4 ·
1. looks, slingshot just might have passed me by (too old)

2. safety- I was always a sports car guy, not a motorcycle guy

3. refinement- miata has had development of 25 years, not a new comer, and reliable

4. yes the miata would not be as much fun, but I am a tourer, except on the race track, where there is lots and lots of miatas, plus there are miata clubs, and guys my age

5. lastly price- there are compromises with both vehicles but the miata has less issues, and yes the miata would not be as much fun, but I am a tourer, except on the race track, where there is lots and lots of miatas,

6. so I will give the slingshot a real hard look, read lots about it, (reviews), take a test drive, but you always need a plan B which is the new nd miata

#6 ·
Still do not see how you can compare. They are going to be two completely different experiences/rides. If you are expecting the Slingshot to be like a car, you might be in for a surprise.

It's like comparing a powerboat to a sailboat at the same price point. Two completely different things and experiences.

EDIT: And +1 with steeley610. May sell/trade the Triumph Bonneville if I purchase a Slingshot.

#7 ·
Me being one of the people that is contemplating a car versus the Slingshot, I don't think it's as much a comparison of the vehicles themselves, but a comparison of which toy to add to my garage and what's the most bang for the buck. Now this is me personally: If this thing comes in at let's say 18k, I'll be on board. If it comes in at 25k+ there are just way too many sweet used cars at that price point. YMMV

#8 ·
This.

It's the "toy" factor. While the Miata can't compare to the experience of the Slingshot, it is about as close of a "toy" as one can get for the money. Now an Ariel Atom is probably most similar but for $50k it won't compete for the same money in your pocket.

At $20k-$28k for a toy purchase there are few things that will fight for your hard earned cash based on the 6 factors I listed above.

You are right - it is kinda like comparing a powerboat and a sailboat for the same money. But comparing a motorcycle to a slingshot is like comparing a jetski to a powerboat.

I have no doubt that some will trade motorcycles for the Slingshot but those individuals will be comfortable with the fact that the experience will be drastically different from a motorcycle. I love the motorcycle "experience" and there is no way to duplicate it with something like the Slingshot, Miata, Atom, etc.

I have raced carts which have even less structure than the Slingshot yet they still don't compare to a motorcycle experience. Handlebars, hand clutch, hand throttle, hand brakes, sitting on and not in, leaning to turn - all create a dramatically different environment than cars, Slingshots, and carts which is why folks tend to compare the Slingshot to existing cars in the same price range. Just my $.02

#9 ·
I currently have a summer car, motorcycle, and a Jeep for the winter. I am thinking about selling my summer car and motorcycle - and replacing them with a slingshot if the hype is real. I'm hoping I can use it as a summer commuter and a fun vehicle that will give me the same thrill factor as riding the bike.

Personally, I would take a slingshot over a Miata for the looks and riding experience alone.. I like driving something a little different and unique. But nothing against the Miata - it's proven to be a fun, reliable vehicle.

#10 ·
Sore back, aching wrists and hands falling asleep is why I stopped riding bikes - but I sure do miss the experience. The Slingshot is like a whole new concept for me, to legally be able to operate a small overpowered vehicle on the road, and just be able to flog the crap out of it without the aches and pain I experienced with bikes. I don't see the Slingshot as a replacement for bikes, but rather a new fun solution for a connected-to-the-road adrenaline rush. To be able to have something like this at an affordable price point (for me) would truly be exciting for me, and would come at a perfect time for me to properly kick off a modern day mid-life crisis. :)

#11 ·
When I get on one of my bikes to go for a ride, I always wear helmet, jacket, kevlar-reinforced jeans, gloves and boots. In the humidity we have around Houston, TX, this can result in a sweaty, clammy ride. I rarely ride during the day and it's a PITA to put all that gear on for a short errand. The Slingshot will offer more fun than my cage and a higher degree of protection than I would have on a bike w/o having to put on all the gear. The only thing that would appeal to me more would be an enclosed Slingshot-like vehicle w/AC to make Texas Summers a problem-of-the past.

#27 ·
When I get on one of my bikes to go for a ride, I always wear helmet, jacket, kevlar-reinforced jeans, gloves and boots.
I'm with you. I'm sure VA summers aren't as bad as TX, but it still sucks. I find myself leaving the bike at home because I don't want to arrive at my destination covered in sweat. Sure the SS still requires a helmet. However, I don't see the need to wear the road rash gear. It has the potential to be far more of a grab and go ride. Upon arrival you jump out, throw the helmet behind the seat, and you're done.

It's also a vehicle I can ride a buddy in. That's a big advantage over a motorcycle. In the SS, I can pick up a friend and go out. Can't do that on a motorcycle; at least I won't. After all who really wants to ride b'otch?

#13 ·
I agree with most folks who compare the SS to a Miata as its probably the closes you can get to it. And while the Aerial Atom might be slick the price is way out there. BUT there is an alternative if looking for that style of 4 wheeler. http://exomotive.com/exocet/ With this conversion you'd still be spending some bucks and labor getting it done. This may have been mentioned before too.
Still when its all been said and done the SS has a great WOW factor at a reasonable price

#14 ·
I currently own a Miata, as well as a Polaris Snowmobile and Polaris ATV in addition to my day-to-day vehicle, and have owned several motorcycles (Ducatis, Harleys, etc) While I agree the Miata may be closest to the Slingshot in terms of features (open top, small, lightweight, fun per dollar), I'm hoping the Slingshot is a completely new experience. I've been in the market for sometime to find a new "fun" vehicle and I chose the Miata just a few months ago. Ever since the SS was shown this past week, each time I drive the Miata I'm like "hmmm would the Slingshot be more fun than this?". At this point I have to say..........I'm thinking it may be??, only a test drive and time will tell. Looking forward to that first test drive!!!! I have to admit I think I have watched that Promo Video about a hundred times, and each time I'm like "DAMN THAT IS AWESOME!"

#16 ·
I'm thrilled Polaris came out with the Slingshot and I hope and pray the bureaucrats keep far far away from it... but I don't see it as anything but it's own class of vehicle.

You can compare the seating/driving to a car but you can do the same with a truck. The handling of a trike will quickly convince anyone who drives it that it's not a car just like the handling of a truck will do the same.

But.... I'm guessing but faily sure that someone who owns a Slingshot most likely would never own a Miata. In that aspect they compare.

Here's another comparison..... Can a Slingshot take the place of a Honda Goldwing? I bet that it can. I'm guessing again, but I bet that someone who owns a Slingshot won't keep a touring bike in the garage beside.

What do you all think?

#17 ·
My mc trike will be going up for sale once I decide to pull the trigger on getting a SS. Not because I don't like riding it but due to finances and related expenses of owning both. My Miata actually belongs to the wife so that's not going anywhere for sure.

#18 ·
I think the slingshot is like no other vehicle that's been available for the average Joe. I'm trading one of my Harleys in on the slingshot. As I am getting up in age I have been considering trading my Harleys for a Harley trike or a Boss Hoss trike. But, I do not particularly care for the handling of a one wheel in front trike, going around corners. I am hoping the slingshot can give me a, take the world away, let 'er rip feeling, on a safer platform. I'm not sure I will ever sell my other Harley, But riding two-up as I do most of the time, Is becoming more and more difficult. But I still love the smell of burning rubber, hard straight-line acceleration And feeling the G forces as you carve through a corner. I'm not willing to give that up, But I am looking for a different platform to do it on

#28 ·
my feelings also, if you convert a bike to a trike, overall it will cost you 30k plus , it will have the tendency to lift in the mtn. curves. you're still sitting on top of the unit not in the unit. conversions weren't designed to be a trike. SS was designed from conception to production to be a trike using electronics to do the job that none of the major brand m/c can do.

#20 ·
A friend of mine just impulsed and bought a used Porsche Boxster that someone was selling out in front of their house. He owned a Miata and now he needs to sell it. I considered buying it since you can't beat buying from a friend that you trust. But I decided against it, not exciting enough, and some people have the perception that Miata's are more for women. Notice how I phrased that, not saying I feel that way and not trying to piss anybody off but I've heard people with that perception so it's out there. The Slingshot is totally different, exciting and filled with Testosterone!!! It fits what I'm looking for at this stage in life (older) and having retired from riding motorcycles. I love driving my open cockpit RZR on the street but I risk a ticket each time I do that. ;-) So this gives me an outlet to improve that situation. I also like that it's a manual shifter since that makes a machine like this feel more a part of you, but I normally pick an auto transmission due to the terrible traffic around here. So this is a toy to have fun with when the weather permits and the time is right. I expect I'll be trailering it out to twisty road territory and away from the local traffic jams, like I used to do with my motorcycles. I get to relive those roads and experiences but in a totally new way. The timing of the Slingshot is perfect for me!

#21 ·
I have been considering a new toy for several months and have been leaning towards a C5 Corvette Z06. You can purchase a low mileage Z06 for under $20k all day long. The Slingshot is very appealing, but lacks the ability to carry luggage, which kills it as a serious cross country traveler.
So to me it's more of a weekend toy to go play on a back road somewhere, not a true mode of transportation vehicle.

#22 ·
I have been considering a new toy for several months and have been leaning towards a C5 Corvette Z06. You can purchase a low mileage Z06 for under $20k all day long. The Slingshot is very appealing, but lacks the ability to carry luggage, which kills it as a serious cross country traveler.
So to me it's more of a weekend toy to go play on a windy road somewhere, not a true mode of transportation vehicle.
sounds like a Corvette will more fits your style and what you're wanting for a toy. there's nothing wrong with that buy what makes you smile

#25 ·
Slingshot is a hybrid of Motorcycle and Car.

realy it can compete with either to some extent. and physicaly slingshot is more like a car then it is a motorcycle! Miata is a good comparison because it's the defacto cheap convertible sports car.

#26 ·
I have to agree with some of the others, I REALLY want an Atom but just can't spend that kind of money on a toy. My other thought was an Exocet - absolutly fantastic design, will be fun and fast for sure. It will handle like it is on rails as well. However, I am just not sure I want to have to build it. I have far less time than money these days. Getting a Slingshot and just enjoying it sounds like a damn good deal to me. I live in the MidAtlantic, easy day trips for me include Summit Point Raceway in WV, Blue Ridge Parkway, and PA Amish country among many other amazing roads and tracks.

I sold my Electra Glide, and now selling my old Impala. I should be able to pick up a Slingshot by April just in time for next season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.