Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
My friend and I built a trike on an 82 Harley FLH. Thought my wife would enjoy riding with me but she thought it sucked. When the Slingshot came out, she wasn't crazy about it because I spent two years on this project. It was difficult to find parts but I pimped it out with LEDs, custom paint, GPS, a lot of extras. I only got a fraction of what I invested but getting the 2018 GT LE was a great move. She still isn't crazy about it but it has regular seats, so she's okay with that. I chose the GT mainly because of the Slingshade because of the sun beating down on me in Vegas and it has most of the extras I wanted. I did look at the T-Rex and Vanderhall and talk about tight! Not to mention their high prices!

·
Registered
2021 Slingshot R
118 Posts
mostly age and the ss's are amazing looking. i am 6'6" and thought that i would never fit but i do. i might look like a monkey on a tricycle but that is ok. i tried the harley triglide aka an accident looking for place to happen, what a terrible motorcycle. my first year i did not ride that much due to my sidekick getting the corona. this year i have trips planned out for many miles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It was October of 1975 and I was atop Bearfoot pass in Montana on my FJR1300 in about 6 inches of snow. The bike was down and I was 75 years old just wrapping up another coast to coast October trip. I made it down to Cody Wyoming and made some promises to myself about transitioning to three wheels. Brought one of the first Slingshots and still have it 43,000 miles later including three coast to coast. I love it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
mostly age and the ss's are amazing looking. i am 6'6" and thought that i would never fit but i do. i might look like a monkey on a tricycle but that is ok. i tried the harley triglide aka an accident looking for place to happen, what a terrible motorcycle. my first year i did not ride that much due to my sidekick getting the corona. this year i have trips planned out for many miles.
accidents suck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It was October of 1975 and I was atop Bearfoot pass in Montana on my FJR1300 in about 6 inches of snow. The bike was down and I was 75 years old just wrapping up another coast to coast October trip. I made it down to Cody Wyoming and made some promises to myself about transitioning to three wheels. Brought one of the first Slingshots and still have it 43,000 miles later including three coast to coast. I love it.
I am amazed that you seasoned ladies and gents travel out as far as your do and as often as you do. My wife is not interested in traveling on a motorcycle or in a open air autocycle so it looks like I will have to find some some buddies to travel with or do it by myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
13 or so years ago I was hurt after returning to base from a mission. I look back and find it funny that 2 deployments, countless missions, and when I am safely back on base I get hurt. August of this year, issues got so bad I needed to give up my bike and go to three wheels. With my right arm not wanting to play nice and Slingshots now being available in an automatic, it is just safer for everyone involved. Can't dump a Slingshot like you can a bike plus I'm not as young as I use to be.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
13 or so years ago I was hurt after returning to base from a mission. I look back and find it funny that 2 deployments, countless missions, and when I am safely back on base I get hurt. August of this year, issues got so bad I needed to give up my bike and go to three wheels. With my right arm not wanting to play nice and Slingshots now being available in an automatic, it is just safer for everyone involved. Can't dump a Slingshot like you can a bike plus I'm not as young as I use to be.
Thank you the response and Thank you for your service!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like to hear stories of why? If you have some free time, I am interested in your why? It can be a long or short story. Maybe there is a thread already on with attention to this. If there is, maybe some can direct me too it or we can hear from the newbies. I will read all stories even if are they made it up.🙂
Rode motorcycle for 70 years but now Im 78 so I bought a slingshot cause I getting older.

·
Registered
2019 Slingshot
7 Posts
My ankles got bad so I gave my bike to a grandson, saw a Slingshot, took a test drive (only about a mile) and fell in lust with it! Yes, I said lust! I have not had it 2 years, yet, and have almost 10k miles on it. I have taken it from the Texas/Arkansas border to Virginia (to ride the hills and curves as well as visit family in KY) and when I park it, my daughter and son-in-law jump in it! I will be 74 in July, and have no desire to drive my car, anymore! I have told many that it is the most fun one can have in public!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
My ankles got bad so I gave my bike to a grandson, saw a Slingshot, took a test drive (only about a mile) and fell in lust with it! Yes, I said lust! I have not had it 2 years, yet, and have almost 10k miles on it. I have taken it from the Texas/Arkansas border to Virginia (to ride the hills and curves as well as visit family in KY) and when I park it, my daughter and son-in-law jump in it! I will be 74 in July, and have no desire to drive my car, anymore! I have told many that it is the most fun one can have in public!
Yes sir! I want to drive mine everywhere. I ask my wife, ”you need something from the store?” All the time. She’s like, “just go for a ride”.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like to hear stories of why? If you have some free time, I am interested in your why? It can be a long or short story. Maybe there is a thread already on with attention to this. If there is, maybe some can direct me too it or we can hear from the newbies. I will read all stories even if are they made it up.🙂
I saw my first slingshot in 2015 or 16 and had no clue what it was that had just passed me. After I figured out what it was I started looking at them online. They looked amazing and I knew I needed one. After a year or so I went to my local dealer to have a look. The salesman was a total jackass and that's putting in mildly. It was all he could do to answer my questions, a test drive was "3-4 weeks out" and he warned me about a $2K price increase for the next model year. So including delivery, dealer prep etc it would cost another $3-4K above what the one I was looking at cost. Since I got such a cold reception I said screw it and left. Come to find out, I had walked in the door 20 minutes before they closed.

After years of dreaming and drooling I decided I was going to buy a Can Am Spyder. I wasn't going back to that first dealer I visited. But I'd need a motorcycle endorsement and I couldn't even test drive one without an endorsement. So I started looking at the Slingshot again. The wife and I had retired and we decided we deserved a retirement gift. We went to another dealer, not as close to home as the first dealer, after making an appointment for a test drive. My test drive was in a 2020 with the auto drive. I hated the way it shifted but I loved everything else about the Slingshot. It was fun, exhilarating and I really like they way it looks. I ordered a 2020 R with the manual transmission that day!

I took delivery of the Slingshot in early September of 2020. Our first ride was to Mt. Rainier on a 93 degree day. I enjoyed every second of it. On the way we stopped at a local hamburger joint in a very small town and had lunch. We answered questions about the Slingshot from just about everybody there. And the rest as they say is history. Weather permitting I can jump in the Slingshot and just drive and who cares where I'm going. I have about 3500 miles on it and am waiting for the weather to dry out a little bit so I can ride some more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
View attachment 187060 View attachment 187061 View attachment 187062 View attachment 187063 My friend and I built a trike on an 82 Harley FLH. Thought my wife would enjoy riding with me but she thought it sucked. When the Slingshot came out, she wasn't crazy about it because I spent two years on this project. It was difficult to find parts but I pimped it out with LEDs, custom paint, GPS, a lot of extras. I only got a fraction of what I invested but getting the 2018 GT LE was a great move. She still isn't crazy about it but it has regular seats, so she's okay with that. I chose the GT mainly because of the Slingshade because of the sun beating down on me in Vegas and it has most of the extras I wanted. I did look at the T-Rex and Vanderhall and talk about tight! Not to mention their high prices! View attachment 187061 View attachment 187062 View attachment 187062
The SS GT is much better than the trike IMO.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I work way too much...put only 200 miles on my SXS in the last 2 years. Even less on my Harley. The Slinger allows me to have fun at least while going to work!

I traded in my Harley when I found my Slingshot at a nearby dealer. I did this without talking to my wife and she was pissed! I didn't think she cared that much!

I had to call the shop and redo the deal without my trade. I was then going to sell my SXS. She said we are keeping everything so knock it off and move on! She is definitely a keeper! View attachment 187055

View attachment 187053

View attachment 187054
Yeah I’m guessing you were like wife will be less made if I trade one toy for another , guessing you were shocked when she wanted to keep eveything we all need a wide like that lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
So buddy of mine had a older sling with a turbo one it drove it fell In love with it right away , my back kept hurting from my r6 and r1 so I bought my 2019 sl as left over in early 20 the. In 21 I traded both bikes I. For my 22 ( was gunna rent out my sl but never worked out cuz Covid was still bad etc , so I just traded both of my slings In for a 22 this time I did the hard top doing heated and cool seats color match speaker pods unfortunately all that in back order hopefully few more months I can get it. Im planing to build this one , hopefully slingshot don’t chance much next year the vented hood and big brakes called my name this year.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts