Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to hear stories of why? If you have some free time, I am interested in your why? It can be a long or short story. Maybe there is a thread already on with attention to this. If there is, maybe some can direct me too it or we can hear from the newbies. I will read all stories even if are they made it up.馃檪

Registered
Here ya go:

Purchased May 9, 2015

Added note: I was the first to go through the DMV three-wheel course in Medford Oregon with a SlingShot so to get my motorcycle endorsement.THAT was a challenge since the course was designed for much smaller tricycles. Today no motorcycle endorsement is required for the SlingShot in Oregon.

Bill

Registered
2017 polaris slingshot sl in navy blue
I always thought they were cool looking and it has gotten to the point to where i don鈥檛 want to ride my Harley anymore so i jumped in and bought a 2017 sl the end of October. It is a blast to ride. I can usually ride for about an hour and a half and i have to get off to stretch my legs as I鈥檓 6ft4. We rode for 3 1/2 hours last weekend non stop and could have easily gone longer but ran out of time. I鈥檓 looking forward to lots of seat time this summer

Registered
I always thought they were cool looking and it has gotten to the point to where i don鈥檛 want to ride my Harley anymore so i jumped in and bought a 2017 sl the end of October. It is a blast to ride. I can usually ride for about an hour and a half and i have to get off to stretch my legs as I鈥檓 6ft4. We rode for 3 1/2 hours last weekend non stop and could have easily gone longer but ran out of time. I鈥檓 looking forward to lots of seat time this summer
Getting older and no comfortable riding motorcycle any more.My wife was very adamant about getting a sling shot.Go figure if your wife gives you green light for a new toy you don't give her time to change her mind.Plus they have a great following with rallies which we enjoy as we do with our Mustang Group.

Registered
2017 polaris slingshot sl in navy blue
Getting older and no comfortable riding motorcycle any more.My wife was very adamant about getting a sling shot.Go figure if your wife gives you green light for a new toy you don't give her time to change her mind.Plus they have a great following with rallies which we enjoy as we do with our Mustang Group.
Absolutely. When i talked to my wife about one she was all for it. We still have the Harley for now but she wants to make sure we like the slingshot more than the Harley before i sell it. So far i like it way more,this thing is so much fun cruising around and hitting the curves.I鈥檝e added a hitch over the winter and plan on pulling it some this year.

Registered
I did not start riding until I was 50 yo --- Spent 21 years on a Gold Wing (about 250,000 miles) and all of our friends had given up two wheels long before I did. Some went to Gold Wing trikes, others just quit riding. (Don't tell my wife, but it was about time for me to give up 2 wheels --- Gold Wing is a BIG bike and I'm not a very big guy & age was starting to play a factor. In early Oct 2014 a GW friend took a check in to the Honda dealer and said build me a new trike, and the sales manager had just got back for the fall Polaris dealer show....and said "Joe look at this" when he found out the price was much less than a Gold Wing trike --- he said I want the First one off the Truck. He got the second on which was the red top of the line in Dec 2014 ---- Joe sent me pictures of the Slingshot and my comment was I WANT ONE. Problem could buy them in Indiana. I actually made the deal for mine at the Chicago Bike Show Feb 2015----mine was the FIRST Slingshot titled in Indiana. Could not buy in Indiana but I, working with the people at the DMV figured out that in fact we could title them. I cause quite a stir in the Slingshot community on this forum when I showed up with an Indiana Title. That was 25 Feb 2015 and you could not buy in Indiana until late June 2015. Had my local Honda dealer sell my Wing and never looked back. Now with a little over 107,000 miles in the seat I smile every time I get in for a short ride or a long one. Hope to meet some new folk at SSITS 2022 in Maggie Valley, NC Check out www.SlingshotRoadster.com
That all for now....usually 10 words or less.

Registered
My wife had her own motorcycle, but was starting to get anxious in heavy traffic. She was going to buy a convertible, like a Miata and then saw a SS on the road..... One week later, there was a 2019 SLR in our driveway. I still have my Goldwing, but she sold her Kawasaki Vulcan and enjoys the SS!
I know the feeling, after i fractured my back and not riding my bike for two years i just did no have the confidence anymore,I tried and it just wasn't there.I had a Honda cruiser and two yamaha scooters, sold all three really quick,we are not looking back and are really looking for warmer weather.We will be tacking SS to Myrtle Beach for the month of may and we know this will be a blast as there will be two Bike weeks there that month.

Registered
After having my 3rd major motorcycle accident last September which broke my back a 2nd time, I have decided to give up motorcycles. But, the call of wind in my face is still there, so I think a Slingshot can fill that niche in my life.
Have you bought a Slingshot yet? Have you spent any time in the seat? driven one? Lots of us out in the 'wild' would be willing to take you out. I've let lots of guys drive mine. I'm in La Porte, IN.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After having my 3rd major motorcycle accident last September which broke my back a 2nd time, I have decided to give up motorcycles. But, the call of wind in my face is still there, so I think a Slingshot can fill that niche in my life.
Sorry to hear about the accidents. Definitely one of my fears. Just wasn鈥檛 fun for me any more. I don鈥檛 think you will be disappointed with the SS.

Registered
Have you bought a Slingshot yet? Have you spent any time in the seat? driven one? Lots of us out in the 'wild' would be willing to take you out. I've let lots of guys drive mine. I'm in La Porte, IN.
I have one on layaway, I was able to take it out for a test ride a little over a week ago when it was almost 70 degrees

Registered
I know the feeling, after i fractured my back and not riding my bike for two years i just did no have the confidence anymore,I tried and it just wasn't there.I had a Honda cruiser and two yamaha scooters, sold all three really quick,we are not looking back and are really looking for warmer weather.We will be tacking SS to Myrtle Beach for the month of may and we know this will be a blast as there will be two Bike weeks there that month.
It鈥檚 a nice easy ride to Myrtle from Dallas, NC. You can take all the back roads and still get there in a reasonable amount of time.

Registered
I work way too much...put only 200 miles on my SXS in the last 2 years. Even less on my Harley. The Slinger allows me to have fun at least while going to work!

I traded in my Harley when I found my Slingshot at a nearby dealer. I did this without talking to my wife and she was pissed! I didn't think she cared that much!

I had to call the shop and redo the deal without my trade. I was then going to sell my SXS. She said we are keeping everything so knock it off and move on! She is definitely a keeper!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I work way too much...put only 200 miles on my SXS in the last 2 years. Even less on my Harley. The Slinger allows me to have fun at least while going to work!

I traded in my Harley when I found my Slingshot at a nearby dealer. I did this without talking to my wife and she was pissed! I didn't think she cared that much!

I had to call the shop and redo the deal without my trade. I was then going to sell my SXS. She said we are keeping everything so knock it off and move on! She is definitely a keeper! View attachment 187055

View attachment 187053

View attachment 187054
A Keeper for sure! Nice.

Registered
I like to hear stories of why? If you have some free time, I am interested in your why? It can be a long or short story. Maybe there is a thread already on with attention to this. If there is, maybe some can direct me too it or we can hear from the newbies. I will read all stories even if are they made it up.馃檪
Not fun to ride the V45 any more, but needed to be as open as possible.

Registered
To answer your question, driving a Slingshot is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Registered
I already own a Corvette, A big 4 wheel drive truck and a Harley. We just got out of Covid lockdown and Told my wife I would like to buy us another toy to reward ourselves for not killing each other......She said "OK"

1 - 20 of 44 Posts