Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only reason I can think of is they got a closeout deal.

That will likely make the depreciation on the first SS's even worse what with all the fixes/improvements on the first year model.

OTOH maybe supply will be tight enough to take the sting out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought my 2010 Spyder RT S SE5 (first year RT) for $21000 delivered, and sold it in 2013, just after the introduction of the new 1330 mill, for $19,000 (to a dealer!). The same RT today, lists for almost $27000. Getting in at the Premier level will offer significant anti-deprectiation insurance.

Next year, not so much. JMHO

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sounds like you were really lucky; I've seen RT S's go for $12k on ebay though not sure how SE would affect that.

What do you mean by Premier level?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Depreciation? Not because of the power plant. The 2.4 is a GREAT motor, in fact it is becoming the 2.5 Ecotech. It is not like it is some motor by Peugeot or someone. A well known and used plant by GM is a huge plus. They made over 4 million Ecotec LE5's, I am sure they will make as many LE6's....

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you are worried about depreciation this may not be the vehicle for you. It will drop like a rock once production catches up with demand. You have to look at it as early adopter fun or it makes no sense.

I would get over worrying about fuel mileage also.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
How is depreciation with RZRs?

I figure the price is cheap enough that even if depreciation is huge it doesn't have very far to fall. Now, if you were talking BMW 7 series money and depreciation then that would sting.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Toys depreciate at an alarming rate. Honda released their custom line of motorcycles in 2010. I bought a used one in late 2011 (with 120 miles on it) and paid 30% less than MSRP and it included $500 in upgrades. Fast forward three years and it's worth about 60% of what I paid or less than half the new cost.

I suspect the SS will hold up okay for awhile like bobnaquin says above...supply and demand. After a few years, I bet the prices drop hard. Especially when you know the previous owner drove the hell out it. No buyer is going to believe the whole "this belonged to a little old lady" story.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The engine should be a non issue. Even Corvair fans are not having any problems getting parts.

As far as resale value, I always buy my toys based on keeping them for life. (Theirs or mine :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't think they will lose value to much. Specially the first couple years. By the third year maybe you will see Polaris make some changes. Some of us first time buyers may op for the upgrades if there worth it. And then you might see some first year vehicles start going into the used market.

As for the engine. I think they made a sound choice. That might even be one of the upgrades
in a few years, who knows!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts

That will likely make the depreciation on the first SS's even worse what with all the fixes/improvements on the first year model.

that and to keep the price down

·
Registered
10 Posts
Depreciation is a fact, the next motor will probably be DI so expect better mpg and more power. Just part of progress. They will probably improve some things based on field data also

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
And as with anything expect to pay more for each successive model year helping to keep depreciation in check. RZR depreciation has been very good, much better than any two wheeled vehicle I have ever owned because the total number of possible buyers is so much larger and used models in excellent shape are few and far between. Yes, having to get an MC license will limit the SS resale market a bit but because it is such a unique vehicle (in a class of its own) it is going to take years before used supply outstrips demand.

My take is that first gen SS buyers will be helped further in this regard once initial engine supply dries up. Any replacement mill is going to add significant dollars to the price tag. Future buyers will pay more to get into the game that much is a given. Like others here, I have owned too many toys to count and depreciation never enters into the equation. It is the price of having fun.

Go to an amusement park for the day? Spend thousands on a cruise? Take the family to Hawaii for a week? How much can you sell the used up tickets, hotel stays and flights for? Nothing. What you have are memories and they all come at a price. Like all my other toys I think the SS is going to provide some pretty darn good memories as well but at the end of that road is at least some sort of resale value whatever that may be.

JD

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discontinued? Chevy's, Buick's, Cadillac, (and maybe more models oversees) are still full speed ahead with the 2.4L.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I read where it was just a upgrade in there motor line . There's nothing wrong with the motor but as time goes by, they come up with new ways to do things . The new line of 4.3 (4.5) or what ever will have a bump of 10-20 hp (so they say ) and a little better mpg . The 4.3 's we are getting are good to go and more than proven.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not sure what other engine they could have gone with, this one is tried an proven millions over. Parts are very easy to get there are lots of aftermarket items for this motor. Depreciation will of course rely on supply and demand and that is yet to be seen. The mark will be strong for a while until the supply catches up, in fact expect to see some used ones for more than a new one is.
All in all it is about buying for the sheer fun of it and don't worry about the "depreciation".

·
Registered
620 Posts
u can count on eating a few grand as soon as it leaves the lot . Price 26k or so all in / next spring I hate it --maybe 20k out of it ,it's a toy . But I'm betting I like it and can drive/ride the money out of it .

·
Registered
674 Posts

Think they still use the 2.4 in a lot of the world

1 - 20 of 27 Posts