1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right. I posted the question.
Who is thinking about selling. I know a few guys have come forward

I'm that guy right now
I have a 2015 SSSL which I purchased in April and now in November I'm almost at the point of selling.
Why?
I do like the SS but does not really fit the way I live as much as I thought it would
I pretty much DD the SS all summer and learned its weakness and its flaws
I think the deciding factor was buying my son a Honda S2000 for $10K and using it for a week
The Honda gives me
9/10ths of the SS open air feeling
6/10ths wow factor (Hands down the SS has head turning power over almost everything)
2X the comfort (SS blazing hot on day of 90 or above)
5X handling (3+ turns lock to lock for the SS is crazy)
2X storage
50% more power (VTEC yo)
easy on/off roof (push of a button for the Honda)
at half the price ($10K for a pretty well sorted Honda, but now my wife wants a F-Type)

I really purchased the SS for my wife but now she says sell it.
Will probably store it for the winter and put her up for sale in the spring

My SSSL is pretty much stock except for Alpha CAI, the Cycle Springs foot well liners, and taller windshield (still have stock)

Love to hear other peoples opinions
I'm not hating on the SS, but more of a realization that it might not be for me and how I live.

Anyone have a sense on what a SSSL with 3K miles is worth?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would do as you suggest keep the wife for the winter and then see what she's worth, usually not as much as you think, I have trouble get rid of mine. They tend to put on weight over the winter diminishing resale value

·
Registered
194 Posts
No thoughts of selling our SS. No idea what you can sell your SS for. I got it because my wife didn't want to be sitting behind me on a motorcycle and actually encouraged me to buy the SS because of the side by side sitting arrangement. We are both in our 50's with no children and the SS has brought us closer because we both love working on he SS together and taking long rides on the weekends. We live in South Texas so we have almost the whole year to ride We have experienced zero problems with our SS and can live with some of the limitations the SS has but we are happy with it. We bought it this June 2015 so I think most of the bugs were worked out by Polaris when we purchased it. Here is a pic of our SS. We love our SS!
12042902_924863020932881_8671103247199912545_n.jpg

·
2,333 Posts
Saw this one as short term from the beginning .....

Last test drive causing doubts | Polaris Slingshot Forum

Like any newest toy there will be a healthy used market after the first season as those who had to have it but are moving on to the next newest thing, purchased without knowing exactly what it was, or expected it to be something else look to unload.

I would put it up for sale now, come Spring there will be enough available that you may lose some $$$. There are plenty of Southern state riders who would travel for a good deal on a clean used unit during winter.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately June and July here near St.Louis were two of the wettest months of the year. I believe we had only one rain free weekend mid April through mid July and, of course, by the end of July it was pretty hot.

Orangeman is correct. I had my doubts early on, but thought I would overcome them. Just has not worked out that way, so time to make room for something I will get more use out of. Thanks for the advice on selling now. looking into it.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
I'm thinking of selling mine. Too many reasons to list, but he's the top few:
1. Having too much fun and not enough free time to do boring things at home
2. S/S goes too fast and gets there so quick, I have to find longer ways to get to places so I'm not there early.
3. Too many sexy girls are all over this thing; it's getting difficult saying no to their wishes. I'm sure if this continues, I'll have to cave into their desires
4. It takes too long to get gas. Just when you're ready to leave, someone has to ask you all about it and wants to see the engine. No sooner do you close the hood and get inside, someone else asks the same questions and it starts all over again.
5. $800 super speeder tickets don't turn me on

Come to think of it, was was the question? Oh, I thought you asked WHY I BOUGHT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE> Please, can someone delete this posting? ;););););)

·
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
2,221 Posts
SUPER SPEEDER!!!:D

Reactions: BlackDeath

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you have ever thought about selling your SS then you were never really an SS owners. Being forced to sell it is one thing as we all know that sometimes things happen but just to sell it for NO reason is crazy. The SS is the best things since chicken grease. The SS owners that I have met have all been extremely great people and all the help the forum has to offer. I mean were can you find a community like this? F.Y.I. Honda doesn't have one. If you must sell then so be it. You will be missed and FORGOTTEN. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I bought mine with full intentions of reselling it only a few months later.

I followed the reports from the spy photos to the first tests over a year and a half ago, and although I don't usually run out and buy new fancy toys like this, something about the looks of this thing made me really want to get one.

I figured with demand high and dealers not having them in stock, if I could buy one, I could drive it for two months over the late summer and early fall and put it up for sale and lose very little to no money. Of course thats changed somewhat with many dealers now having units in stock on their floors... No need to wait for one, so why buy someones used unit when for the same price or only a little more you can get a brand new one.....

Problem with my plan is I didn't know how much I would really enjoy this thing. I truely enjoy owning and driving this thing. It IS a attention getter. It IS fun to drive. And it is something you don't rarely see on the road. 99 percent of the time you will be the only one anywhere you go thats in a SS.

Its like having bought a Bugatti or latest and greatest Ferrari as far as the attention go, but having only paid what a toyota camry costs!

Sure its not practical at all. It has more problems than the average american car from the 1970's..... There is no top or side windows to keep you dry in the rain.... Minimal storage... No heat or A/C.... cramped cockpit.... crappy gas mileage....

My best friend, when I told him I was buying one, he drove with me to pick mine up, And the whole way there he kept telling me I was stupid to spend 20+ grand on this thing when I could just get a Miata for 10 grand that would be the " same thing, half the cost " .............. Well....... True, if I just wanted a two seater convertible, he is right a Miata would be much more refined and offer a top and a/c and a trunk and better safety and so much more, But a Miata is just a car, its not a slingshot! pull into a gas station in a miata and no one will even look at you. Its just another car. The slingshot is special.

Funny thing is, I have let my friend drive my SS a few times and he did a total reversal on his opinion and thinks the thing is cool as hell and loves it.

Anyways, I like my SS. I bought mine used back in august with 3,000 miles on it for 21 grand out the door. I had thought I would use it till about now and list it and sell it and recoup at least 20 grand out of it. And feel like I totally could if I wanted to. But I really like this thing and I am far from bored with it yet. I plan to keep it till next year and drive it some next year. Maybe by late summer when its blazing hot out and Im sweating my ass off in it I will finally decide to sell it, but I am not ready now. I know I will lose more money the longer I wait till I sell it, but unless people flood the market and start low balling themselves, I think the price will stay reasonably high on these.

To the original poster, If you just wanted a convertible car, then go ahead and sell it. Ask 21 grand for it, and be prepared to take a few hundred less if needed. Thats a fair price that would attract a buyer. Just remember, what you have now is unique and special and you will not find a convertible car that does the same thing for that kind of money.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Gyroron
I think people think I hate the SS. That is not true. I really like the SS, but simply just do not love it. There are some other cars I would like to investigate.
My thought is pass it on and let someone else get even more enjoyment out of it and a reduced price.
The price you stated is about where I was at. I think the first offer of $20K will take it.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Not 4 Sale

"We Love Our SlingShot"
for me, i love tinkering with it
for us, we love cruising in it
for us, we love meeting people at the Events
for us, you can not buy this much fun for 20G's

i am personally thankful that i have lived long enough
for someone to build a affordable vehicle like this

.................................................. tom n carol

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
Sorry to see it not work for you Chirowolf, we never got a chance to meet and ride. I think for me going to all the ride events and having a winter home make it fun for me. When you attend an event and meet all these forum guys and gals it makes you part of a family not just an owner. Driving one is a lot of fun but put 5 or 6 of us together and its a fun filled day.

·
Registered
555 Posts
No thoughts of selling our SS. No idea what you can sell your SS for. I got it because my wife didn't want to be sitting behind me on a motorcycle and actually encouraged me to buy the SS because of the side by side sitting arrangement. We are both in our 50's with no children and the SS has brought us closer because we both love working on he SS together and taking long rides on the weekends. We live in South Texas so we have almost the whole year to ride We have experienced zero problems with our SS and can live with some of the limitations the SS has but we are happy with it. We bought it this June 2015 so I think most of the bugs were worked out by Polaris when we purchased it. Here is a pic of our SS. We love our SS! View attachment 33111
Your ride looks great! How do you like fender free? Looks more angry roadster than batmobile. Very nice.

Oops. Looked again with my glasses on this time. Fenders are intact. Great pic though.

Sent from my brain using an iPad

·
out of POSER Status-Almost in the BIG BOY clique'
1,478 Posts
Maybe Im confused? But can you really compare a car to a SS (trike)? Of course a car is going to have, perform and do more, it's what it's intended for. The SS is a toy (considered an AUTOCYCLE here to register, motorcycle/car thingy:D..It's a different kind of adrenaline, fun! Anyone of us can get in a car to get to A to B & I honestly hate driving as I drive over 100+ miles a day and Sports cars just don't do anything for me personally. Going in I knew what I was getting and thought of all the Pro's & Cons. I have limited saddle time cause of weather here and this place is "FORCING ME" TO MOD it NOW!;) Being a HD guy and having plenty of toys growing up this is a good investment for me and the wife to finally get away / cruise (all bikes were solo) plus I can take one of my kids to do errands in a safer way. I know opinions are like asses, but sounds like your selling yourself on what not to like compared to a vehicle, but again like you say just doesn't fit your life style? We can find flaws in almost any & everything if we wanted to. I guess you like it or Hate it, again each there own. I think the SS is Unique, I'll be honest not loving the Ass end look, but changes are coming to fix that. ;)

Good luck

·
out of POSER Status-Almost in the BIG BOY clique'
1,478 Posts
In fact, the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!!
Headline Breaking News:

Clinton man, going by the name BONES was just arrested when he was pulled over in his Polaris Slingshot for Driving nude.
According to witnesses he wanted to prove you can have just as much fun driving the SS nude as clothed:p:D

·
Registered
738 Posts
I bought my SS used from a dealer who sold it to a 68 (actually he was in his 70s) or so year old guy. He bought it sight unseen and realized he didn't like it because it didn't ride like his Porsche Cheyene. Go figure. I got it at a big discount t with only 130 miles. When I got it, I thought, I'll keep it for a year or two and sell it. And I wasn't going to put any money into mods. Well, I just parked it into storage for the winter and have no intention of selling it anytime soon. Oh and that no mod promise went right out the window pretty quickly too. I also have a Harley Super Glide and a Pontiac Solstice GXP convertible. They unfortunately were very lonely this past year. Now don't get me wrong, I love them both but the SS is a horse of a different breed. The GXP is a head turner and is fast as hell, but I don't know how you compare it to the Slingshot.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts