Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Is your steering wheel / front end alignment straight?

• Both are straight and in alignment

Votes: 18 42.9%
  • Steering wheel is not straight but my SL seems to be aligned

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • Steering wheel is straight but my wheels appears to OUT of alignment

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Steering wheel is not straight and wheels are out of alignment

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the day I picked my SL up the steering wheel is sitting about at 10:30 AM then I drive straight. I can't really tell if its out of alignment or the steering wheel is just cockeyed. Anyone else have this problem and if so have you gotten it resolved??

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Dont know if it is the same for the SS but If the steering wheel is goofy and no one will fix it I will do it myself

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

*Disclaimer - This product is meant for entertainment purposes only. Your mileage may vary. Do not try this at home. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. For off-road use only. Slippery when wet. Batteries not included. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle, heavy equipment, cherokee, wrangler, or any jeep vehicle. May be too intense for some viewers and children under 30 years of age. Please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Studies have shown viewing these videos causes increased cancer risks in laboratory test people. I am not a professional, I have no training, I'm not even particularly good at horse whispering. Don't believe everything that you know. Please keep your hands in the vehicle at all times. Do not tap on glass. Do not eat anything that has been on the floor for more than 3 days. Keep your hands to yourself. Not to be taken internally. Reproduction strictly prohibited. Driver does not carry cash. Objects in jeep mirrors may be farther than they appear.*

Reactions: Hollywood

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
My steering is nice and neutral, though the wheel is cocked slightly to the left so the left spoke is about 8 o'clock. Certainly not enough to bother even me, ole mr anal.

·
Registered
903 Posts
My steering wheel was pointing to the left at about 10 o'clock. It bothered me because the right hand grip on the wheel blocked the tach. So, I took it apart, made a puller, yanked the wheel off, and straightened it out. Sorry, I have a picture diary on my phone, but have no idea on how to post pictures. PM me, and give me an email address or cell phone, and I'll gladly send them to you.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
My steering wheel was pointing to the left at about 10 o'clock. It bothered me because the right hand grip on the wheel blocked the tach. So, I took it apart, made a puller, yanked the wheel off, and straightened it out. Sorry, I have a picture diary on my phone, but have no idea on how to post pictures. PM me, and give me an email address or cell phone, and I'll gladly send them to you.
At the bottom of the text box is a button that says "upload a file" . That is how you up load files, like pictures of taking apart a steering wheel .

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Ok. Here's the pictures from ConnMa and the stering wheel issue. I'll retype the text he sent me as well.

Pic 1 show the wheel being off center. Next view is with the hoen assembly off. Remove the nut (15/16 socket) and you'll need a steering wheel puller (he made this one himself). After wheel is removed, you'll see this yellow tape. Notice the arrow on the yellow tape. It's lined up to an arrow molded on the black plastic. The yellow assembly with the wires spins around freely. The molded in arrow is fixed.. When removing the horn, you don't necessarily pop the button off. Pry up on the 3 wings with something flat and wide to avoid marking up the wheel. Once the 3 prongs are out, grab the assembly and gently fold it up and pull it out. The whole thing is just pressed into soft rubber. No fear of breaking anything if you go slow. It wasn't hard to do. Whole job with making the puller and all was about an hour. If you have a puller, half hour tops. Any questions, just post them. Thanks

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
The vehicle can still track straight moving down the road if this is caused by an alignment issue. If mine is off, I'm going to start with the alignment, then worry about the steering wheel.

·
Registered
903 Posts
My alignment is fine, just a crooked wheel. It should be noted that once you rotate the wheel to the straight position, the arrows no longer line up. I think those arrows are just for the assembly process, and the whole unit was installed rotated to the left. Can't see anything those arrows do, since the ring assembly with the wires spins freely 360* around. However, I have the service manager at my dealership asking the Gods at Polaris.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
My alignment is fine, just a crooked wheel. It should be noted that once you rotate the wheel to the straight position, the arrows no longer line up. I think those arrows are just for the assembly process, and the whole unit was installed rotated to the left. Can't see anything those arrows do, since the ring assembly with the wires spins freely 360* around. However, I have the service manager at my dealership asking the Gods at Polaris.
Good to know.....Do your turn signals still self cancel as they should?.....With equal turning of the steering wheel?

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Good to know.....Do your turn signals still self cancel as they should?.....With equal turning of the steering wheel?
Mine do. It's really starting to look like a batch of wheels were installed cocked to the left!

I'm going to have laser alignment in a week or so. That will be a definitive answer.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Good question!! Yes they do. First thing I checked. But that whole thing is more a mechanical trip, than an electronic trip. I did notice driving it that unless the wheels are in the straight position, the signal arm will not stay in the blinking position. If I start a turn to either side first, then try to initiate the turn signal, it will not stay. I'm not crazy about that but I'll get use to it I'm sure. This was before I straightened the wheel. It acts the same now straight, as it did before.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts