Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Which Slingshot motor do you prefer?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has probably been asked before.

As of 2020, there are two 'factory' motors in the Slingshot. The GM 2.3L 4 and the in-house designed and build Polaris 2.0L 4.

I am curious about how the two compare and your thoughts on the 'better' motor.

Regards,
Joe T.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
This is a highly subjective topic. When the Slingshot was first introduced, the 2.4L GM Ecotec engine was a very important factor for many owners since parts were pretty much available anywhere. The 2.4L Ecotec has a long service history and a pretty good reputation for bullet-proof reliability. Those were important factors in my purchase decision. I have a 2015 Base model Slingshot (later called the S model) and added a Hahn Stage 2 Turbo kit once my factory 2-year warranty expired. I now have over 62000 miles (with over 25000 miles with the turbo).
The new 2.0L Polaris engine is a totally new engine and, IIRC, is also Polaris' first 4-cylinder in-house-designed engine. As such, its reliability and suitability for boosted performance are unknowns when compared to the same factors for the GM 2.4L engine.
Remember that the Slingshot is built and sold as a unique motorcycle. As such, it is common for motorcycle engines to be higher-revving that conventional car engines such as the GM 2.4L engine. The 2.4L Ecotec motor is rated at 173 HP @ 6200 rpm and 166 Ft Lbs Torque @ 4700 rpm and redlines at 6500 rpm, IIRC. The new 2.0L Slingshot motor is available in 2 versions, with the R model engine rated at 203 HP @ 8250 rpm and 144 Ft Lbs Torque @ 6500 rpm with a redline of 8500 rpm, IIRC. The detuned motor in the S & SL models is rated at 178 HP @ 8500 rpm (redline) with 144 Ft Lbs Torque @ 5500 rpm. While the new 2.0L motor is rated at higher HP than the old 2.4L motor, the 2.0L motor also produces far less Torque in either version than the old 2.4L. The 2.0L Slingshots are still geared to produce acceleration numbers similar to or exceeding those for the old 2.4L-equipped models.
Performance enhancements for the 2.4L motor is pretty much limited to adding a turbo or supercharger which generally boost HP to higher levels than is currently available in the 2.0L motor. I am unaware of any TC or SC kits being available yet for the 2.0L motors, although I assume the aftermarket suppliers are developing them. At the same time, now that the S model is available with a manual or AutoDrive transmission at the detuned power levels, a Performance Tune is available for under $1000, IIRC, that restores the higher level outputs of the R model motor, offering a significantly cheaper route to more performance that also lacks the higher levels of risk for motor damage that comes from adding a TC or SC to a motor that may or may not have been meant to be boosted. The 2.4L motor risks engine damage when performance is raised above 300 HP w/o rebuilding with strengthened internal parts such as piston rods, etc. Long-term reliability of the Polaris 2.0L motor is also an unknown at this time, especially as power is increased, but I have read posts where the 2.0L motor has been tuned to performance levels higher then the stock 203HP/144 Ft Lbs Torque numbers. Once TC or SC kits start appearing, experience from the initial adopters will allow us to start getting an idea as to how well the 2.0L motor will hopefully hold up under higher performance conditions.
The AutoDrive software has been reworked for 2021 and now produces smoother performance.The new software can be reflashed in the 2020 models and Polaris has added a Paddle Shifter option that fits the 2020 as well as the 2021 models. If the paddle Shifters work anywhere as smoothly as Paddle shifters in regular sporty cars, the AutoDrive may really prove itself to be an excellent choice. The improved AutoDrive in the 2021 model has received glowing praise in at least one review I've read.
The 2.0L motor needs to driven more like a high-revving motorcycle engine to match the performance levels of the 2.4L motor and I feel the higher-revving 2.0L motor will provide a more enhanced motorcycle experience compared tot he lower-revving 2.4L motor, but that is a highly subjective feel/opinion.
Just my 2 cents, well more like 4 cents! :unsure: :D
p.s. - I didn't make a choice in the poll since I feel both engines have their advantages and disadvantages.

·
Vendor
647 Posts

As of 2020, there are two 'factory' motors in the Slingshot. The GM 2.3L 4 and the in-house designed and build Polaris 2.0L 4.

Regards,
Joe T.
Like @BKL mentioned, the GM engine is a 2.4L Ecotec ;)

As for which one is preferred, we have a ton of time behind the wheel of the 2.4L, we know it well, can make more power than the rear tire can handle with it and still be reliable. The new 2.0L though is a lot of fun and is going to make good power when boosted, I like them both, just in different ways.

Dave

·
Registered
53 Posts

Regards,
Joe T.
I'm a new Slingshot owner. The new 2.0 is fine and I have the performance tune. 203HP..I have the 5 year extended warranty so I'm not messing with it like a turbo so I guess I will see how long it will last. You can spin the rear wheel just by stomping on the pedal so I dont see any need for more power.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
As the owner of a Ecotech, I like that it's proven and I can get parts at autozone.
I agree where the Polaris engine is still relatively untried, and not having an over-abundance of confidence in Polaris when marketing a new product having experienced our 2015 and the large number of recalls and other issues. With that being said, I have not heard many complaints yet about the Polaris engine, so hopefully my fears are unfounded. Otherwise, our personal situation would be also influenced by being able to purchase generic or GM parts locally for the Ecotech, where our nearest dealer is a 400 mile round trip and parts for the Polaris engine certainly would be more costly.

And since it was mentioned in this thread, I am compelled to agree with Mike Bodzas concerning either engine, "You can spin the rear wheel just by stomping on the pedal so I dont see any need for more power."

Bill

·
Registered
2020 R Autodrive
94 Posts
203 Hp gets me to the speed limit quickly. I have been driving since I was 14 that's 61 years on the road with not even a warning for speeding. I fear that will not last with this Slingshot it just looks fast and likes to go fast. Will Polaris parts cost more then GM parts I bet so but my dealer is 8 miles down the road and as long as HoleshotMike is the shop manager I know it will be fixed right. I screw up more then I fix so I am not getting under the hood. merry Christmas you all. Don

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I would imagine Polaris tested that engine in several Slingshots for at least 1 year before releasing it to the public.

As far as thinking you have enough HP, just don't drive a boosted version! Part of the challenge of driving a boosted version is trying to accelerate quickly w/o spinning the rear wheel.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I would imagine Polaris tested that engine in several Slingshots for at least 1 year before releasing it to the public.
Hee hee, just like Polaris "proved" the SlingShot before it's initial release? :devilish:

That is not necessarily a criticism of Polaris, just the fact that some things newly released to the public still might need some time to wring out the unanticipated bugs. (Just reminiscing again BKL!) ;)

Bill

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Hee hee, just like Polaris "proved" the SlingShot before it's initial release? :devilish:

That is not necessarily a criticism of Polaris, just the fact that some things newly released to the public still might need some time to wring out the unanticipated bugs. (Just reminiscing again BKL!) ;)

Bill
I'm sure Polaris ran the Slingshot through many hoops before releasing the Slingshot back in 2015, but, unfortunately, things can get missed despite the best testing.
I must admit when I first looked at the Slingshot's headlight wiring after the first time my lights went out during a night ride, I was shocked to see that the circuit was extremely close to the circuit's rated current load. A typical circuit will typically be designed to use a fuse /breaker with around a 30% cushion, meaning a 7 Amp circuit will usually use a 10A fuse/breaker or a 20A circuit would use a fuse/breake rated higher than it's designed 20A circuit load. Since the Slingshot's headlights used 2 x 55W and 2 x 60W bulbs for a total load of 240W which is a larger load than I would expect to see (14-15A) on a circuit protected by a 20A fuse/breaker. That was why Polaris fix was to separate the circuit into 2 circuits, redcuing the load on the circuit.I was surprised that 2 years of test-driving the Slingshot never revealed a problem. A similar situation existed regarding the reported story of how the Slingshot front suspension was changed after a Polaris executive reportedly experienced a wreck or near-wreck towards the end of testing/development which reportedly resulted in some changes to the front suspension settings. IIRC, this story was mentioned in postings about @Otters shim mod. Again, I'd think a comprehensive testing program would have discovered any sensitivity associated with the front suspension settings before an executive experienced it during a test ride.
So yes, things can get missed even with extensive testing and development.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Just to point out for continuing continuity of this thread, just about the only things that did not come under scrutiny of our earlier models were what? Yep, the GM engine and transmission! ;)

Now, to Polaris' credit, for those that have had the patience of sticking with their SlingShot through all of it's trials, tribulations, and recalls, I believe that Polaris now has a trustworthy and reliable vehicle today!

Bill

·
Registered
53 Posts

As far as thinking you have enough HP, just don't drive a boosted version! Part of the challenge of driving a boosted version is trying to accelerate quickly w/o spinning the rear wheel.
That is my point. Why would I need to put a turbo on it? I got the 203hp tune when I bought it. The only thing I would want to do is put an exhaust system on it with a little more "Bite" I found it odd that the tailpipe is in front of the passenger? Always thought the law was that the outlet of the exhaust system must behind any of the passenger compartments. only one company makes one for the 2020 and I don't care for it. Doesn't matter because its not available anyway. Maybe I might make my own one day. I have seen one on an older one where it comes through the front pod and just sticks out from the inside of the front right fender. I would like to take it one step further and run it down the right side. It would look like the old corvette side pipe set up but just on the right side. I would have to wait until the warranty expires and that's 5 years down the road since I got the extended warranty.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
That is my point. Why would I need to put a turbo on it? I got the 203hp tune when I bought it.
Hee hee, It makes no sense to me and I too do not understand adding power to the SlingShot, but be forewarned, you are preaching to the choir here my friend!

Bill

·
Registered
2020 R Autodrive
94 Posts
And there is always the testing of the new 2020 Autodrive which I waited over 6 weeks to get straighten out while my brand new SS R sit at the dealers. I was one of the first and I do believe the first to get the new software loaded in to my ride. I can say it was worth the wait and Polaris and my dealer treated me right. Seams like everything we buy to drive now days have recalls. Don't remember any of those back in the 50s. But then they probably just let us drive them back then and if it was a real problem you just had to buy a different car. Don

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
That is my point. Why would I need to put a turbo on it? I got the 203hp tune when I bought it. The only thing I would want to do is put an exhaust system on it with a little more "Bite" I found it odd that the tailpipe is in front of the passenger? Always thought the law was that the outlet of the exhaust system must behind any of the passenger compartments. only one company makes one for the 2020 and I don't care for it. Doesn't matter because its not available anyway. Maybe I might make my own one day. I have seen one on an older one where it comes through the front pod and just sticks out from the inside of the front right fender. I would like to take it one step further and run it down the right side. It would look like the old corvette side pipe set up but just on the right side. I would have to wait until the warranty expires and that's 5 years down the road since I got the extended warranty.
ZZpPerformance.com is reported to be developing a side exhaust that exits the body behind the right wheel and then extends along the body. I don't know if they're developing it for 1st or 2nd Gen Slingshots or both, but availability is expected sometime around Spring 2021.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a new Slingshot owner. The new 2.0 is fine and I have the performance tune. 203HP..I have the 5 year extended warranty so I'm not messing with it like a turbo so I guess I will see how long it will last. You can spin the rear wheel just by stomping on the pedal so I dont see any need for more power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first reply to the forum. It’s a little confusing so I hope I get it right!
I have a 2017 SL 2.4L that I did some add-on’s too. It came with a cold air intake and I installed a header, Slingmods Ceramic coated exhaust system and having the ECM redone. It has an amazing amount of power and will light off the rear wheel. The acceleration is a E ticket ride 😁 !!! For as lite as the SS is this is more then enough power. The 2.4L is a well proven engine and and been around for a long time but I can’t comment on the 2.0L other than I have family members who go to the desert with Polaris Razor’s and Polaris engine’s have performed well. Being a retired mechanic I have always been partial to Chevy!😎
Larry

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
143 Posts
It kind of reminds me of an old saying, "I can never get these shoes on until I've walked in them for awhile.".

IOWs - If no one tries new things, there will never be new things.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts