Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 48 states (that we know of) where the Polaris Slingshot is still classified as a "motorcycle." So many people are taking their deposits back, but I'm wondering why people are worried. Granted, if you live in Texas or Indiana, I could understand taking yourself off the waiting list. By why are people thinking so negatively? We knew Polaris was breaking out something special, and we knew nothing like it had yet been developed. This was going to be a battle from the start.

Polaris is stepping into new territory, as it has been for the past couple of months, with the acquisition of Indian Motorcycles (and the reintroduction of the Indian Scout), new off-road vehicles (including the Ranger Crew 900-6, Polaris ACE 570 SP and RZR 170 EFI), the acquisition of ATV accessories brand Pro-Armor (news as of yesterday), a brand-new partnership with Costco, and a defense contract with the US Army. Polaris has a proven track record of success and innovation.
I have faith that Polaris will continue to impress.
Yes, there is a speed bump on the road that Polaris has to figure out how to get over; but Polaris has shown us time and again that they can handle it. More than handle, I'd say.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
When did you put your deposit down? People here aren't negative about the wait as much as they are the lies, ommissions, and broken promises. As much as Polaris has earned the credit for the good things you've listed, they've also earned most of the negativity you've heard from many people here.....And Polaris should own that and get better. Here's my positive spin, the longer I wait, the less my payment will be. GREY!!!

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
How long did it take for Campagna to make the T- Rex to be approved....a few Years...
We are lucky....
I'm not sure exactly how long it took.....I'm not sure how the companies compare.....I'm not sure if they lied, miscommunicated, or like Polaris refused to communicate. I just don't know.....What I do know however, is that I don't like being lied to. I don't like being ignored. And I don't care what a different company did in contrast. It's not meant to be "negative." It's the truth and I'm just saying it like it is. I love this new product and I love that it's American. Despite what I don't like I'm willing to put up with way too much just to own the SS. Sound positive? Not meant to be, just the truth. Saying it like I see it.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I was irritated at the continuing delays and the lack of clarity from Polaris knowing things to be contrary to what was being publicly stated.
Then the news about Texas and"saddles." Federal law trumps State law, so how can a vehicle built to meet the US government's definition of a motorcycle, be summarily redefined as not being a motorcycle because Texas wants a "saddle." Interestingly enough, while Texas' definition of motorcycle calls for a "saddle," ALL of the other references I have found in Texas law about motorcycles uses the term "seat."
At least the problem in Indiana seems to be that the State can't figure out how to maximize licensing revenue. Texas seems to just be screwing around both with Polaris and with its residents.
While I definitely feel the Slingshot is the best reverse trike with more safety features than have ever been offered or are offered on any existing reverse trike, regardless of cost, I just don't know how much more I can stand getting jerked around.

·
Registered
792 Posts
What Polaris has done successfully with the slingshot, is to resurrect a true simple small and lightweight roadster like they had back in the 1960s. This is a picture of a Triumph TR-3 from 1962. Noticed two things, it's extremely low seat height and door that swoops low to maximize the view of the road which intensifies the riding experience. These cars also had a loud gutsy exhaust note, just like the Slingshot will have. They didn't have a lot of horsepower, but they were still fast and fun because they were super lightweight. The only way for Polaris, or any other company, to successfully pull this off, would be to have it classified as a motorcycle. Automobiles have way too many restrictions, safety features, safety requirements, government regulations, etc. This will be a true enthusiasts driving machine. I'm fired up as delivery gets ever so close. Also, I couldn't help but notice that the Triumph is...............you're ready for this................. RED! True class & heritage run deep.

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
The SS is like the BB gun I wanted so bad as a kid. My dad promised it so many times and missed so many dates, for so long and my mom gave so many BS excuses for those broken promises that I got anticipation fatigue. Even though I eventually got it, the thrill was gone. It would have been better if my dad had just said 'someday I'll get you one when I can'.

Shit, this was supposed to be Positive Spin. I'm sure the SS will be cool whenever I get it. It just won't be quite as cool as it would have back in Oct.

Does that mean I'm still a spoiled brat...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts