Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my drill weekend I was driving my 2019 S model when I was almost T-boned by an Yukon SUV driving at 50 through a red light at about 50mph on his phone. The driver a half a block behind had it on dashcam and I wish I had downloaded it as it is no longer there. I saw something fast in the corner of my eye and slid sideways to impact with my front right tire. The wheel was still attached enough to drive it out of the intersection.
I thought I was lucky (not to be killed but also thought it was just the hood and wheel but a small part of the frame got kinked.

My issue is the Polaris dealer I towed it to (4 different companies to find someone who would) has had the parts backordered for the frame and hood for 3 mos and I am not sure how long I will be walking.... Any idea about parts support? How long is the longest anyone has waited for parts? I am told there are 3 others ahead of me at the same shop.
The repair yard at the Polaris dealer reminds me of the the discarded toys in Rudolf the Red nosed reindeer.

Before giving the just get a new one advice..... The Insurance in CA is going up on these vehicles and is is hard to find anyone who will insure them at any reasonable rate so I decided to repair the 2019 S rather than get into a new vehicle that I might not be able to afford the insurance on... Then again I might not find an insurer with my salvage title if I ever do get it back.

Lastly a shout out to Sam Owens and his videos as having done my own upgrades and maintenance has bonded me to this vehicle to where it pains me to see it in the bone yard.

·
Administrator
3,089 Posts
Parts support is pretty abysmal, even under warranty with connections to Polaris. It's not just Slingshots, it's pretty much anything Polaris makes.

The background is many of the parts are made in China and trapped offshore due to the currant U.S. government policies, making the previously "not great" parts support become "far worse." Most vehicle manufacturers are facing similar supply problems, so realize everyone is in a somewhat similar situation. Maybe get a used scooter on the cheap? The Honda PCX150 is really good.

Glad you're okay, that's a pretty harrowing situation. The good thing is the Slingshot has a very crash-safe frame for the type of vehicle it is, somewhere between a car and a motorcycle.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Parts support is pretty abysmal, even under warranty with connections to Polaris. It's not just Slingshots, it's pretty much anything Polaris makes.

The background is many of the parts are made in China and trapped offshore due to the currant U.S. government policies, making the previously "not great" parts support become "far worse." Most vehicle manufacturers are facing similar supply problems, so realize everyone is in a somewhat similar situation.

Glad you're okay, that's a pretty harrowing situation. The good thing is the Slingshot has a very crash-safe frame for the type of vehicle it is, somewhere between a car and a motorcycle.
With the above editing, I agree!

Bill

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I think the part you need is this part -
# 8 SUPPORT, WELD, FRONT, BLACK E-C pn 1022141-329 $839.99 on this diagram -
It looks like it is held on with just a few bolts, but will require removing the parts attached to your old one.
As always, when ordering parts, always search multiple parts sources as price and shipping can sometimes vary a lot.
In your case, it looks like labor will be the most expensive portion of the repair, so DIY may be the best option, assuming the part is available. I'm at a medical appt, and will try to post service info later, if I can find it.
Good luck!
I started to try to copy the relevant sections from my 2015 Service Manual, but soon realized copying all of the relevant info was a much larger project than I had realized. If you want to attempt the repair yourself, I recommend getting a 2018 Slingshot Service Manual. You can order a paper copy from Polaris or buy a PDF version on EBay. PM me if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will be over $10,000 in labor and is not a job I am at all capable of doing. As the frame is kinked the main parts I am waiting for is the frame and the hood along with the hood underlay? The job will be twice the work of building a new slingshot in that they will have to dismantle the vehicle carefully from the old frame and then assemble it on a new frame. I just hope it is able to run and not leak oil at the end of it all but I spent too much time under her to want to go for a new one. I don't envy them the right angle frame brace job.....

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
It will be over $10,000 in labor and is not a job I am at all capable of doing. As the frame is kinked the main parts I am waiting for is the frame and the hood along with the hood underlay? The job will be twice the work of building a new slingshot in that they will have to dismantle the vehicle carefully from the old frame and then assemble it on a new frame. I just hope it is able to run and not leak oil at the end of it all but I spent too much time under her to want to go for a new one. I don't envy them the right angle frame brace job.....
Broken frame and they did NOT total the Slingshot???

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Wow! Based on the one pic of damage, I had only expected damage to the front frame box aka the Front Weld Support. Hopefully, parts will be readily available. Hope you get back on the road soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They did total the vehicle due to the broken frame. However I have spent enough time under her to want to keep the vehicle and the cost of insurance for a new one in CA is through the roof. With a salvage title I can only get and need liability insurance.

That said my main reason for posting it to hear what the longest wait any readers have had on parts???

·
Registered
155 Posts
With parts you re looking AT OVER $20,000. IS IT WORTH IT. YOU MIGHT FIND ONE FOR SALE.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Bruce, if it's not too late to reconsider your decision to have it fixed after being totaled, please do (rethink it that is). Not sure what insurance company you have, but I know for sure that Allstate will not insure any "salvage" titled vehicle. I was not even allowed to demand a check for the ACV of my totaled trike minus their salvage value that they expected to get at the salvage auction. I would have loved to had a check for $42,000 MINUS $7,500 for a net payment to me of $34,500 then get it fixed for under $10K, But having a salvage title, diminished value come time to sell it and not being able to keep my insurance quickly had me change those thoughts of going on a 3 week cruise on their dime.

·
Registered
6 Posts

The background is many of the parts are made in China and trapped offshore due to the currant U.S. government policies, making the previously "not great" parts support become "far worse." Most vehicle manufacturers are facing similar supply problems, so realize everyone is in a somewhat similar situation. Maybe get a used scooter on the cheap? The Honda PCX150 is really good.

Hello, were you get your windshield

1 - 20 of 25 Posts