Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally am disappointed in the information coming from Polaris, or lack thereof. They revealed the product late last month but since then we can't even find out where we can see the Slingshot. I meant what's so difficult about keeping us informed about where prototypes will be appearing. I was hoping they would be a lot more organized with their social media publicity. I've made numerous calls to their corporate phone center but those folks are useless as far as information goes. Sorry, just needed to rant!!!

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Deep breath. Just breathe. Breathe. In through nose, out through mouth...

Ok, now I agree with you. There does seem like a lack of information about this machine coming from the parent. However, as big a deal as it is to you, me, and the 600+ (as of today) members on this forum - it may not be for the masses. All this publicity takes money and they seem very measured on where they spend it. Mind you they are launching a new Indian model among other things as well.

If they have a limited apply (which I think they do based on the powertrain they chose) then over hyping this thing could be very negative for them or, more importantly, not necessary . If they sell a years supply in a couple months then they probably don't need to do much social media/propaganda. Perhaps save it for when they really need to do it?

Otherwise, they need to amp up the info damn it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Saying that they are worried that they will sell too many is not very likely. Their best scenario is that they create such a demand that the price goes up.

I made a living in the manufacturing game, although on an entirely different product line. My guess is that they are having start up difficulties and won't be able to deliver the promised units in September or October. They have diverted their marketing resources to things that they can sell and deliver-maybe the new Indian. I have been watching the three wheeled world since 2007 and I have seen a lot of promises and not many vehicles. I am still taking even money bets that the Elio never goes into production.

On the other hand, I never saw a BRP ad for a Spyder for two years. By that time, I had worn out one and was on my second one. They sold all the units they could make by word of mouth. I believe the count is now 52,000 units. At least that is the number that just got recalled. So maybe Polaris is trying to mitigate their sure-to-be warranty problems by just keeping the units sold confined to lunatic fringe early adopters. That would be us.

And then again, I don't know one-tenth of one percent about anything.

·
Registered
642 Posts
UR2SLOW, the only place they've been ,(that I know of) has been at the dealer convention, and shown at Sturgis. the dlrs got to drive them not at Sturgis.
I've liked them on facebook and know they were at WDC, Brainerd's raceway and a few dealerships so far. My rub is I live 200 miles from the manufacturing plant and haven't seen one showing up in Iowa at all :p

·
Registered
210 Posts
"I just opened a Steak House and welcoming all my new customers.....but when they sat down and ordered, I told them the bull was just born and they will have to wait 6 months"
My dealer said he cannot get any information or flyers. He said he hopes to hear something in a couple of weeks.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Creating too much demand could have a near term disastrous effect. The engine in the SS is no longer in production. If they bought all of GMs left overs and thought that would last 2 years to provide them time to design/engineer another powertrain only to find out that they may sell out of the engines in less than a year - will cause major problems.

Imagine this - they go on sale and start deliveries and 9 months later they don't have any more. It's not like GM will crank out another 10,000 Ecotecs. People might have to wait 6-9 more months to see them at dealerships again. Mind you, any new power plant is going to be more expensive unless they find another engine out of production for nearly two years that some other car manufacturer has an abundance of because they tried to use it in vehicles that tanked in the market. So mid year the price goes up $2k-$4k?

Anyway, if you can sell out your initial run before the first delivery then why advertise? Why spend that money? As Bob said, BRP has sold 50,000+ Spyders and I don't think I have seen any advertising for them except in a few magazines.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Creating too much demand could have a near term disastrous effect. The engine in the SS is no longer in production. If they bought all of GMs left overs and thought that would last 2 years to provide them time to design/engineer another powertrain only to find out that they may sell out of the engines in less than a year - will cause major problems.

Imagine this - they go on sale and start deliveries and 9 months later they don't have any more. It's not like GM will crank out another 10,000 Ecotecs.
I understand it that GM has some sort of powersports or performance division and they've been gearing up to use an Ecotec engine in some application again, which is why the partnership with Polaris worked out so well. The last time a 2.4 Ecotec was produced was for the 2012 Malibu, so I think they can probably reconfigure to continue production since they never really wanted to put this motor to bed.

·
The Pack
5,180 Posts
Thanks Kip, that's cool information. I'm pretty sure most of us here expect next years model to be fitted with the 2.5. That's a nifty upgrade, but not enough to wait for me.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Creating too much demand could have a near term disastrous effect.
@Tango, you're spot on. I believe they are definitely dialing things back after being overwhelmed with SS pre-orders.

Polaris celebrates its 60 year anniversary with the Slingshot. They are headquarted in Minnesota, which is having one of the largest state fair's in the nation right now. Every car, truck, bike, trike, tractor, and skidsteer is on display. My wife and I went yesterday on the opening day to finally see the Slingshot, after being told one would be their, and.....nothing. Polaris was dwarfed by the other manufactures and had a very pathetic display of a couple quads and 4 sleds. The Minnesota State Fair's attendance is between 1.5 million to 2 million visitors.

Bottom line is they're not pushing any sales right now because they don't need to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UR2SLOW, the only place they've been ,(that I know of) has been at the dealer convention, and shown at Sturgis. the dlrs got to drive them not at Sturgis.
Polaris took a few up to the Woodward Dream Cruise in MI last weekend but didn't announce or publicize it at all. The local MI dealer was there and posted it on FB.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
"I just opened a Steak House and welcoming all my new customers.....but when they sat down and ordered, I told them the bull was just born and they will have to wait 6 months"
My dealer said he cannot get any information or flyers. He said he hopes to hear something in a couple of weeks.
Except the "steak house" is only taking reservations at this point. The doors have not even opened yet and the reservation list is already full. This process is no different than what happens with any new vehicle introduction. Spending any more marketing dollars on advertising, including flyers, would be pointless and frankly bad business. I agree with others that crazy early adopter nuts like me are all over this thing like stink on a pig. I am obviously not in the minority checking in with my dealer who already has a very long list beyond their initial allocation of units. I also don't believe in the conspiracy theories that Polaris is announcing this to dealers only to miss delivery. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and have confidence that they may have a bit more experience than their competitors in this particular market space.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Unlike the other Reverse Trike manufacturers and would-be manufacturers (Elio, Pursu, etc.), Polaris IS an established manufacturer with a track record of getting new products to market. I've wanted one of Pursu's leaning trikes (www.flytheroad.com) since I first saw them, but they continually slipped their target dates and I wonder if they will ever make it to market. It is possible that initial demand is greater than Polaris had expected and production is taking a little longer than expected. I think the general expectation is that Polaris wanted to ship the initial batch to all dealers at roughly the same time. This would provide some cushion if they discovered something that needed fixing fast. Any initial production problems would cause some delay in delivery, but hopefully not much. If the demand for the Slingshot was underestimated, I am sure Polaris and GM can easily workout a solution.
Of course, now that I have placed a deposit, I don't want to wait any longer than necessary, but I do feel a little more relaxed now that I have committed myself. We'll reassess the situation come late October when I will hopefully have my Slingshot.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Is this really that uncommon? Manufactures sometimes announce products that aren't available for months and the information becomes stale. I agree it's frustrating and Polaris is being tight lipped on the performance specs.

I'd love for more info to be available. Even better if the SS would arrive at dealers. I think Harley did this right with the project Rushmore bikes. As I recall, they announced them one day and started shipping them to dealers the next. Boy would that have been nice!

·
Registered
702 Posts
On the other hand, I never saw a BRP ad for a Spyder for two years. By that time, I had worn out one and was on my second one. They sold all the units they could make by word of mouth.
Right, the SS will attract crowds and interest wherever they go, no need to advertise.

The engine in the SS is no longer in production. If they bought all of GMs left overs and thought that would last 2 years to provide them time to design/engineer another powertrain only to find out that they may sell out of the engines in less than a year - will cause major problems.
Why do you say that when there are later versions of the Ecotec that will more or less drop right in?

And if there weren't, certainly Polaris wouldn't be dumb enough to have paint themselves into that corner.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Just because it's a crate motor doesn't mean it's in production. The factory was able to churn out a lot of units though the vehicles they were destined for tanked saleswise leaving a glut of inventory.

The plant that manufactured the 2.4 has been retooled to produce the 2.5L Ecotec.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts