Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so you all know that my SS got totalled. (If you don't, see the thread here The Batmobile is Totalled | Polaris Slingshot Forum).

Now I've got to deal with insurance. Where do I get a 3rd party valuation of the SS so that I know what insurance should be paying me? I've checked Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds but they have nothing. Best I can do is find what they are selling for on Cycles.com.

I don't want to get screwed by insurance, especially since most of us early adopters in Texas had to pay above MSRP just to get one.

·
Registered
186 Posts
How big of a loan did you get? Did you get gap insurance? I financed all but 1000 down, and until just now I never thought about book value for the reason of insurance. If you financed everything and have gap insurance at least the loan will be covered. I would try to contact some other members that have been in an accident.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the same - $1000 down, financed rest. I'm reading my policy and can't tell if it has Gap or not. Regardless, they are supposed to pay the cash value and I'm trying to find out what that is. Everything is still selling for over MSRP here. So I'm wondering where they get their values.

Could you possibly have looked for it under autos? Found this for you on NADA Guide
2015 Polaris Slingshot Special Notes, Prices, & Specs
Average retail for a base is $19,605 - hope this helps
Thanks. Yeas I saw that too. But it's for 2015, not 2016. And the 2016's were $1200 more new.

·
I may not be right but I can sound like it
4,534 Posts
I did the same - $1000 down, financed rest. I'm reading my policy and can't tell if it has Gap or not. Regardless, they are supposed to pay the cash value and I'm trying to find out what that is. Everything is still selling for over MSRP here. So I'm wondering where they get their values.

Thanks. Yeas I saw that too. But it's for 2015, not 2016. And the 2016's were $1200 more new.
Insurance companies are always such a delight to work with:wtf::woot: Wish you the best of luck but if you don't have gap insurance chances are pretty good your gonna get stuck for some of your hard earned cash:(

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Also look and see what they are going for on EBay and other places
one the web. I going with a friend from La Porte to Fairfax, VA to pick up a 2015 Orange Slingshot. Low miles and the seller was asking $23,000.00 ... for business reasons he needed to sell --- it was paid for.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I checked and I don't have gap insurance - that's why I was trying to figure out what the "cash value" was. And thank's for the ebay idea - I searched it and printed out all the current listings. I did the same on Cycles.com so hopefully that will help my argument that the cash value is higher than the MSRP.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still waiting on insurance. The adjuster already gave me the "cars are worth less the moment they drive off the lot" speech. Of course he has already confirmed that he can't come up with a value on it. Closest I could find was a 2015 Base with 2K miles on it for $23,500. And yet I am STILL waiting for him to give me an offer. It's been 2 weeks (tomorrow) and I've already had to make another payment on a totaled car.

If anyone has other ideas about where to get a real "cash value", I'm looking.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My insurance is Allstate. But the other party (at fault) is Texas Farm Bureau Insurance. BTW, his car was totaled too (2012 Mustang).

·
Registered
686 Posts
Texas Farm Bureau is stringing you along!!! They are dragging their heals on purpose so that you'll get nervous and hopefully panic.
Then they'll come in with a really low ball figure thinking you'll take it just to get the claim closed and get a check from them. Don't play their game....call them constantly, demanding action and a fair value on your SS. Also call a lawyer in your area!! A good lawyer will at least give you guidance on how to proceed on your own, and offer his services if things have to go that route. You have already done some research and it seems like you've come up with fair market value for a used SS in the same condition as yours. Prices for good used SS's seem to be consistent across the states, so you should have no problem getting a few more examples for your case. Good luck, and keep us posted!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts

I think the gap insurance is part of your finance package.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,160 Posts
I would get 2 or 3 letters from local dealers stating the used value. Get the quoted prices on a new one as well, you already know the value will have to be lower than a new one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts