Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I've been calling around to a few local dealerships and none seem to know when they will be getting the slingshot. They said it has been held up by the MTO. Has anyone heard anything different?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries. Just hope they don't hold it up too long. I want to take one for a test drive and hopefully buy one, but if they hold them up too long winter will be here before I get a chance.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Hi there

I've been calling around to a few local dealerships and none seem to know when they will be getting the slingshot. They said it has been held up by the MTO. Has anyone heard anything different?
Maybe same as Quebec...dealers says Mid October...but nothing official!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
839 Posts
If I remember correctly that was a problem with Ontario allowing trikes to the province. Is that true?
T Rex had a little problem getting them into Ontario in the past as I recall
True for the T-Rex...but Polaris have more power than Campagna in North America...so it's a good news for Campagna because if they accept the SS...no reason to refuse the T-Rex!!!

Wait to see what will happen!...

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
True for the T-Rex...but Polaris have more power than Campagna in North America...so it's a good news for Campagna because if they accept the SS...no reason to refuse the T-Rex!!!

Wait to see what will happen!...
Is it only going to be the SS in Ontario or The SL as well?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think the only way Polaris is going to be able to sell the SS in Ontario will be to file and win a NAFTA challenge .Ontario has all kinds of laws that don't line up with other provinces or the U.S. and they constitute a restraint of trade .
If Polaris is serious about selling here , this will probably be the only way .Civil servants and politicians in Ontario do not see the world the same way as the rest of us .

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the only way Polaris is going to be able to sell the SS in Ontario will be to file and win a NAFTA challenge .Ontario has all kinds of laws that don't line up with other provinces or the U.S. and they constitute a restraint of trade .
If Polaris is serious about selling here , this will probably be the only way .Civil servants and politicians in Ontario do not see the world the same way as the rest of us .
We're screwed, guys. :mad:

1. What is a motor tricycle?
  • Three-wheeled motorcycles are commonly referred to as “motor tricycles”. A three-wheeled motorcycle may have either two rear wheels or two front wheels, or may be a two-wheeled motorcycle with a sidecar.
  • The federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) defines a motor tricycle as a motorcycle that:
    • is designed to travel on three wheels in contact with the ground,
    • has seating on which all occupants must sit astride,
    • has no more than four designated seating positions,
    • has a GVWR of 1,000 kg or less; and
    • does not have a structure partially or fully enclosing the driver and passenger, other than that part of the vehicle forward of the driver's torso and the seat backrest.
The T-Rex vehicle has 3 wheels? Can it be registered as a motor tricycle?
  • The Ministry is adopting the federal definition of a motor tricycle.
  • Federally, the T-Rex is classified under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) as a three-wheeled vehicle, not a motor tricycle like the Spyder.
  • The province of Ontario has not adopted the federal three-wheeled vehicle definition nor developed regulations in support of this Three-wheeled vehicle class. Three-wheeled vehicles have been registered in Ontario in the past but must meet provincial safety and equipment requirements for passenger vehicles in order to be eligible for operation on Ontario’s roads.
  • The T-Rex does not meet provincial safety and equipment requirements for passenger vehicles.
  • The typical difference between a motor tricycle and a three-wheeled vehicle is that the motor tricycle has steering handlebars and the occupants sit astride while a three-wheeled vehicle has a steering wheel and the occupants sit in conventional seats.

F**k Ontario. Can anyone from Polaris tell us if there's any chance of the Slingshot being legal here?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
We're screwed, guys. :mad:

1. What is a motor tricycle?
  • Three-wheeled motorcycles are commonly referred to as “motor tricycles”. A three-wheeled motorcycle may have either two rear wheels or two front wheels, or may be a two-wheeled motorcycle with a sidecar.
  • The federal Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) defines a motor tricycle as a motorcycle that:
    • is designed to travel on three wheels in contact with the ground,
    • has seating on which all occupants must sit astride,
    • has no more than four designated seating positions,
    • has a GVWR of 1,000 kg or less; and
    • does not have a structure partially or fully enclosing the driver and passenger, other than that part of the vehicle forward of the driver's torso and the seat backrest.
The T-Rex vehicle has 3 wheels? Can it be registered as a motor tricycle?
  • The Ministry is adopting the federal definition of a motor tricycle.
  • Federally, the T-Rex is classified under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (MVSA) as a three-wheeled vehicle, not a motor tricycle like the Spyder.
  • The province of Ontario has not adopted the federal three-wheeled vehicle definition nor developed regulations in support of this Three-wheeled vehicle class. Three-wheeled vehicles have been registered in Ontario in the past but must meet provincial safety and equipment requirements for passenger vehicles in order to be eligible for operation on Ontario’s roads.
  • The T-Rex does not meet provincial safety and equipment requirements for passenger vehicles.
  • The typical difference between a motor tricycle and a three-wheeled vehicle is that the motor tricycle has steering handlebars and the occupants sit astride while a three-wheeled vehicle has a steering wheel and the occupants sit in conventional seats.

F**k Ontario. Can anyone from Polaris tell us if there's any chance of the Slingshot being legal here?
I've been wondering if there has been an official response from the MTO yet. Have they cited these as valid reasons for restricting sale?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scorpion TEXAS.jpg
Ontario is the only Canadian jurisdiction in which a "sit in" motorcycle or trike is not currently permitted. You can buy these trikes elsewhere in Canada (i.e. Campagna is the QUEBEC based manufacturer of the T-Rex - which you can legally purchase/register/insure in QC & elsewhere). We don't want 3 wheelers to be approved as "three wheel motor vehicles"... otherwise they become subject to many of the same pieces of legislation that govern passenger car/truck manufacturing... collapsible steering columns, air bags, seat belts, windshield, wipers & much more. Manufactures would have to make modifications which would drive up design & build cost, end users purchase cost & taxes would go up, likely our insurance rates would be higher, & ultimately the riders enjoyment would be reduced (pay more & essentially get less).

You can pass through Ontario (drive in Ontario) by virtue of reciprocity among the provinces & States of the USA. You can buy these trikes outside of Ontario & they can be driven here provided they are properly licensed & insured in their respective home jurisdiction ... have heard rumors of a T-Rex or two that are "rented" from owners in Quebec (rented vs. leased is significant) by Ontario residents.

If you want the current legislation to change - get familiar with the parts of the various legislation (CANADA & Ontario - have links for you), take a brief moment to write a letter to your MP, MPP & the current minister of MTO specifically)

But why purchase a Polaris Slingshot to begin with? It's essentially a 3 wheel design of the unpopular & unsuccessful Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky - it just has one less one wheel (engine, trans, drive shafts & suspension components - check for yourselves). If you watch the videos very closely, you can see the front wheels lift on hard cornering (they aren't going to point this out, you'll have to do your homework).

Speaking of homework...

Polaris Slingshot - cool & novel for sure, but it's essentially a 3 wheeled car & not really great on the performance scale... it's dependent on it's not so light weight (lighter than a car). It's rather unattractive too... albeit just simply cool by virtue of being a 3 wheeler. Credit where credit is due - this machine is what grabbed my interest in 3 wheelers (since done my homework).

Campagna T-Rex - not as ugly, a great machine as far as trikes go - who knows what powerplant you'll get (they are inconsistent). It's also known to have a flimsy chassis& prone to tip/spin out (as does the Slingshot). Campagna chose to use Kawasaki bits to fabricate instruments/controls inside & out (handlebar mounted motorcycle directional switches, gauges & lamps - not only looks tacky, but isn't ergonomic).

Scorpion P6 - K... not sure what to tell ya here - just that you'll have to drive one to appreciate it. We've a relationship & a non disclosure agreement with Scorpion... so we can tell you that the P6 is just the beginning. If you're considering a 3 wheeler, you'd be wise to compare the P6 to the competition (Scorpion is the fastest & most nimble of the lot).

BTW - you can buy or build any vehicle you so please in Ontario for off road or track use... the Scorpion P6 offers the most affordable & authentic F1 driving/race experience.

Respectfully - Hesperian

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
He's baaaasack......Did you miss me EZ? I think you are bored again.
Please stop saying the slingshot is ugly, I saw your picture
View attachment 5500 Ontario is the only Canadian jurisdiction in which a "sit in" motorcycle or trike is not permitted. You can buy these trikes elsewhere in Canada (i.e. Campagna is the QUEBEC based manufacturer of the T-Rex - which you can legally purchase/register/insure in QC & elsewhere). We don't want 3 wheelers to be approved as "three wheel motor vehicles"... otherwise they become subject to many of the same pieces of legislation that govern passenger car/truck manufacturing... collapsible steering columns, air bags, seat belts, windshield, wipers & much more. Manufactures would have to make modifications which would drive up design & build cost, end users purchase cost & taxes would go up, likely our insurance rates would be higher, & ultimately the riders enjoyment would be reduced (pay more & essentially get less).

You can pass through Ontario (drive in Ontario) by virtue of reciprocity among the provinces & States of the USA. You can buy these trikes outside of Ontario & they can be driven here provided they are properly licensed & insured in their respective home jurisdiction ... have heard rumors of a T-Rex or two that are "rented" from owners in Quebec (rented vs. leased is significant) by Ontario residents.

If you want the current legislation to change - get familiar with the parts of the various legislation (CANADA & Ontario - have links for you), take a brief moment to write a letter to your MP, MPP & the current minister of MTO specifically)

But why purchase a Polaris Slingshot to begin with? It's essentially a 3 wheel design of the unpopular & unsuccessful Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky - it just has one less one wheel (engine, trans, drive shafts & suspension components - check for yourselves). If you watch the videos very closely, you can see the front wheels lift on hard cornering (they aren't going to point this out, you'll have to do your homework).

Speaking of homework...

Polaris Slingshot - cool & novel for sure, but it's essentially a 3 wheeled car & not really great on the performance scale... it's dependent on it's not so light weight (lighter than a car). It's very really ugly too!

Campagna T-Rex - not as ugly, a great machine as far as trikes go - who knows what powerplant you'll get (they are inconsistent). It's known to have a flimsy chassis & also prone to tip or spin out. Used the left over Kawasaki bits to fabricate instruments/controls inside & out (handlebar mounted motorcycle directional switches, gauges & lamps - not only looks tacky, but isn't ergonomic).

Scorpion P6 - K... not sure what to tell ya here - just that you'll have to drive one to appreciate it. We have a "relationship" & a non disclosure agreement with Scorpion... the P6 is just the beginning. We suggest keeping an eye on these folks, especially before you choose to buy anything the competition has to offer (although they don't really - Scorpion is on top). PM me for more details... have your CC ready!

BTW - you can buy or build any vehicle you so please in Ontario (i.e. a trike) for strictly off road/track use.... so it might be interesting to note the Scorpion P6 offers the most affordable & authentic F1 driving/race experience.

Respectfully - Hesperian

·
Registered
47 Posts
Howdy all, has anyone taken a drive into Ontario or one of the other provinces where it is not currently legal to register a SS in and tested the reciprocity and/or reaction/action of the provincial/local police? I'm still a few weeks away from switching over to a Quebec address at which point I'll be able to register/plate the SS which so far has been sitting garaged since picking it up. Will be located up around Morin Heights and will need to make occasional runs back to Ottawa so hoping to be able to take the SS one some of those trips and have them be worry free if you know what I mean. Thanks all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Howdy all, has anyone taken a drive into Ontario or one of the other provinces where it is not currently legal to register a SS in and tested the reciprocity and/or reaction/action of the provincial/local police? I'm still a few weeks away from switching over to a Quebec address at which point I'll be able to register/plate the SS which so far has been sitting garaged since picking it up. Will be located up around Morin Heights and will need to make occasional runs back to Ottawa so hoping to be able to take the SS one some of those trips and have them be worry free if you know what I mean. Thanks all
I've been waiting for Ontario to green light the Slingshot but have an address in Quebec......... I want to ride & support local dealership (Ontario) but soon our Gov. will recess for summer & that will diminish the 2015 riding season. Quebec purchase seems like the only way to ride for now.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Chilly, thanks for the info, was wondering if anyone has actually taken their SS into Ontario and if so, if they experienced any hiccups. The law can be interpreted a few ways and I'm hoping that the other provinces extend full reciprocity to the SS. I'm still a few weeks from me trying it myself

1 - 20 of 39 Posts