Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found my personal, too cold to ride, temperature. 20 degrees fahrenheit. I am in Michigan logged over 1400 miles in the last month. Plenty of cold days. The snowmobile suit kept me comfy and happy. Yesterday I was in a rush to get to work. I didn't check the temperature . 2 miles down the expressway I was feeling the cold creeping in. It was 16-17 degrees F.
I told myself and others that I drive it regardless of temperature, for the joy. I don't drive it in the cold to look tough or get attention. I can tell you that for me the joy slips away at 20 degrees F.
What is your threshold, and would heated gear elimate any temp. concerns?

·
Registered
791 Posts
It's zero in KC today so, needless to say, she remains inside. So far mid 30's is my cold point. I don't own any battery heated clothing though....yet.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I wouldn't even get off a plane in that kind of weather .

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I drove mine home from the dealer last night, and it was 15 degrees out. I only went ten miles, so it wasn't too terribly bad, but I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it.
You are driving to and from work in the cold, I have to ask you, what tires are you running? It was pretty obvious right off that the stock tires are woefully inadequate in the cold.

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
I was suprised how well the SS does compared to a regular bike. We brought ours back from TN and it was in the 40's and was not too uncomfortable with just regular winter coats and gloves, nothing special.

I have taken it out for some short drives in the 30's but that is really getting too cold unless you have really good gear and heated gear. But my threshhold on my bikes was more in the lower 60s without special gear!

I think the SS give very good protection overall. I am more concerned witht he summer heat than the cold in the winter. If it is really cold I don't want to be out in it anyway!

·
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drove mine home from the dealer last night, and it was 15 degrees out. I only went ten miles, so it wasn't too terribly bad, but I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it.
You are driving to and from work in the cold, I have to ask you, what tires are you running? It was pretty obvious right off that the stock tires are woefully inadequate in the cold.
Stock tires, they warm up quick enough. I did notice the tires don't like under 20 either. Yesterday was the first time the front slipped out (cheek pucker):)while turning a corner. That was in the beginning of my ride. I haven't had any other road holding problems with the stock tires.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I drove mine in 35 degree temps for about 35 miles and that was enough, but I was dressed for it. Definitely not for work or some other activity. It will stay in the garage now until sustained 40+ degree days.

·
Registered
434 Posts
You people are crazy!!!
I would say the minimum temp for me is 60, and the max temp would be 85 or 90.
Any colder and it is not enjoyable, and any hotter and your sweating and who has fun when their sweating, unless it is because of sex.;)

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
I wear windproof, waterproof, insulated gear here in Oregon during late Fall, Winter, and early Spring. It rarely gets below 30 and I can manage it for a couple of hours pretty comfortably in that gear. It sounds like the SS will be far superior to any of my bikes for cold weather. That said, here in Oregon there likely won't be a threshold for me.

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I brought mine home, it was 28° to 30° sprinkling and snowing intermittently.....and an hour and a half drive! It was well worth it, but it took me all day under the electric blanket on high, to thaw out....seriously!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I've got the Gerbing Heated Jacket and Gloves, works awesome and with the Slingshot, just throw on some flannel lined jeans and I'm good to go.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
I've got the Gerbing Heated Jacket and Gloves, works awesome and with the Slingshot, just throw on some flannel lined jeans and I'm good to go.
I installed the Gerbing stuff too. I did 1 hour this morning in 26 degrees and it was very comfortable. I actually prefered to be in the SS riding than walking in to the building - everything the same except no helmet and no heat. It was actually quite comfortable and ran the gloves on max and the jacket on maybe 25-30% power.

I would imagine that it would be good to near 0 with heated pants and socks.

Without the heated gear I did a 35 minute morning run at 32 and that was probably my limit.

Interestingly, anything over 50 now feels warm. I even ran without gloves for a while when it was 55.

·
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Riding around in these things in that kind of cold is just a desperate attempt for attention.
:)
I don't know where you live. I work outside in "that kind of cold" all day. With snowmobile gear on, and temps above 20 I can enjoy my new toy in complete comfort. I personally don't like standing out, getting watched, being photographed. I hope these become as prevalent as mustangs. I just love driving it.

Do I stop for photos and talk to people about it? Yes, when they call it out. " Is that the new Slingshot"? I usually have them sit in it and their friends can take pictures of them. Or the SS without me in it. I'm a people person and would want someone to let me check out something I was interested in. Do unto others.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts