Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Forward it to Polaris. I know all need to make a buck but it should be approved by the manufacturer. At least it is put out to see. A normal Joe can figure out they are getting screwed. Some don't care.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When does making a profit turn into price gouging ??????

Answer: When you see that price tag. That must be the "Ebola Special" - people should stay away like it's the plague...

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That's called the CA resident standard surcharge matrix. Just amazing. I think its perfectly fine, and legal, for dealers to charge whatever they want but at least label the charges for what they really are.

Should be listed as:

Freight: $960
Handling: $250
Ben Dover: $2955

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will buy from a dealer that doesn't do this! Here is what a local ripoff sent:

"Thank you for your email. We are a Slingshot dealer but, we do not currently have one in stock. We have some on order and hope to receive a few sometime in July. We have sold 26 Slingshots so far. They are selling faster than we can get them. The Base model (gray) sells for $19,999.00 and the SL model (red) sells for $23,999.00. There is a $999.00 destination charge, $99.00 doc fee and $45.00 for registration. I can take a $1,000.00 deposit to reserve one for you. We also have some low interest financing available with approved credit. You can go to our website at www.tommysmotorsports.com and fill out the credit application there. Please let me know if you have any questions. "
Then you have Ashland KY that doesn't charge.

·
Registered
538 Posts
This is nothing compared to the recent pricing of the BMW I8 - there is a 2 year waiting list and dealers are sticking it up the asses of buyers while BMW sits there with a shity grin on its face! - check this out!

The car has a MSRP of $139K sheis 4 wheel drive - electric front axle and a small turbo gas engine for rear!

I8clean.jpg
I8 mechanics.jpg
i8sticker.jpg
Sticker I8.jpg

·
Registered
666 Posts
Anything over MSRP, too many honest dealers not charging extra for freight or setup.
There is no such thing as price gouging on any product that has a limited supply Polaris cannot tell dealers how much they can charge proven years ago in court when HD had long waits they can charge what the market will allow. Still goes on on cars like the Ford GT that is coming out and many others it is not cool but if you can get only so many as a dealer why would you not sell for all you can get before the market is flooded as it will be I think

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Market adjustments are pretty common and have been for a few years. You buy something with a premium attached to it, you are a chump.

2003 I tried to buy an SVT Cobra. Dealers were asking and getting $5000 to $6000 over sticker. I said no thank you and never looked back. Early the following year I bought one and not only did I not pay any premium, I got xplan pricing because I worked for a supplier and ended up a couple of thousand under sticker. Plus, the 2004's came with a fix that involved an updated cylinder head that was defective on the 2003's

Right now Dodge dealers are getting $9000 to $10,000 over sticker for Hellcats, and Ford dealers are getting $20,000 over sticker for Shelby GT350's. Plenty of chumps lining up to get their dose of bend over and liking it.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If the manufacturers really cared about their customers (end users, NOT their dealers), they would simply say that any mark-up beyond what is reasonable is against corporate policy. While they can't stop a dealer from doing it, they CAN stop shipping these limited supply vehicles to the dealers who have ignored the request to live with a msrp pricing. Once these dealers loose the ability to see the newest hottest model on the market, you'd be surprised to see how fast they straighten out their money grab from the consumer. JMHO

·
I may not be right but I can sound like it
4,534 Posts
There is no such thing as price gouging on any product that has a limited supply Polaris cannot tell dealers how much they can charge proven years ago in court when HD had long waits they can charge what the market will allow. Still goes on on cars like the Ford GT that is coming out and many others it is not cool but if you can get only so many as a dealer why would you not sell for all you can get before the market is flooded as it will be I think
Limited you just caused me to have a bad flashback. Late 80's (kinda fuzzy in that era) when the Harley "craze" began. You had to stand in long lines, could only pick a model scooter, take whatever color came, pay whatever they said price was, and still walked away happy. I learned then no such thing as price gouging in the motor vehicle arena. Supply and demand drives all pricing. It is either a buyers or sellers market.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You got it and you were happy to have the chance my dealer would get 10 bikes 8 would go in the pool they did not have a list just a bowl they drew names out of the n 2 went on the floor and were sold at what ever they could get or to special customers I was finally on the Spl list so I could buy anew 1 each year at list as long as I did not resell it just traded it back to them to sell to some other poor fool like I had been they knew I was going to spend lots of money with them on goodies so they were making out. I am lucky now that one of the places I bought parts ect is now a Indian dealer and also sell SS I just learned this they have also become a dealer for 1 of the turbo suppliers and have installed at least 1

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think that we should warn all people thinking about buying an SS to beware so they don't get taken advantage of. I also agree that Polaris should stop shipping to these greedy dealerships. This is getting out of control.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Most dealers/salespeople are pretty much whores. They will do anything for enough money.
When something is selling they dont need you and dont care if you buy or not, they sell to the next guy.
As soon as business slows down they love you again and do anything for your business.
Smart salespeople dont try to sell you 1 car, they try to make you a customer for life.
I would never shop at Burts.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think that we should warn all people thinking about buying an SS to beware so they don't get taken advantage of. I also agree that Polaris should stop shipping to these greedy dealerships. This is getting out of control.
Polaris has no price control over dealers just like all makers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts