Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of people are reading that the SS hub size is 67.1 from the forum.

I wanted to correct this in a easy to find thread:

This is a vid I made from a 67.1 ring on the bare front hub of my SS. As you can see, there is a LOT of free play:

By my measurement, the front hubs are a hair smaller than the rear, front being a bit over 65.9 and rear being 66.1 flat:

image.jpeg

These Re the rings I am using all around, it fits very snug on the rear hub, still a hair of play on the fronts:

image.jpeg

These are all the 67.1 rings I got thinking hubs where 67.1 and trying different models to get rid of wheel vibration...

image.jpeg

Just FYI

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Great thread @iNewton and very needed as a lot of owners are changing wheels/tires

Stock for simple clarification:

Rear offset =. +45
Front offset=. +42
Bolt pattern=. 5 x 114.3
Hub size=. 66.1 mm

SL diameter front=. 18". Tire size= 225/45/R18
SL diameter rear=. 20". Tire size= 255/35/R20

Base diameter rear= 18". Tire size=. 265/35/R18
Base diameter front= 17". Tire size=. 205/50/R17

A link to a good chart to see what wheel/tire combos will work is:

Tire Size Calculator - Compare Two Sizes

Your welcome!

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
Great thread @iNewton and very needed as a lot of owners are changing wheels/tires

Rear offset =. +45
Front offset=. +42
Bolt pattern=. 5 x 144.3
Hub size=. 66.1 mm

Your welcome!
That is a great site...Thank you

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
If anyone is considering new wheels/tires I would strongly suggest bookmarking this thread to save time in the future as hours and hours are spent on this type of selection!

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
I saved all the data to a Word document and filed it in my Slingshot file folder.
Links to websites will work in a word file.

·
Hold my beer and watch this!
1,319 Posts
The hubcentric rings are helpful if you use:

1: wheel bolts (MB, VW, BMW etc)

2: have small face area lug nuts (tuner lugs or non shouldered lugs)

3: a wheel that was single weight balanced

Beyond those minor issues I have never needed them, even on tracked vehicles. They are nice insurance though if you have others mounting your wheels. The factory base wheels don't have the correct center bore and we're great. No balance issues or vibrations.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts

Rear offset =. +45
Front offset=. +42
Bolt pattern=. 5 x 144.3
Hub size=. 66.1 mm

Your welcome!
A correction: the bolt pattern is 5 x 114.3 not 144.3

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
If you made the mistake, it is worth noting that you don't need to panic.

I made the same mistake way back in the day and I have zero issues with vibration.

I'm not running to order the correct size and swap out the old ones. IMHO, it would only make sense if you were feeling issues.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
If it's the same bolt pattern and offset, you'll be fine. if there's any vibrations, or you want to make sure the wheel is centered, you'll need to have hubcentric rings that adapt the wheel size down to the hub size. You should be able to find these on ebay

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
So what happens if I get wheels with a bore of 74.1? Spacers or it just won't work?
A wheel with a larger bore size will work fine without a hubcentric ring. After all, the wheel is centered by the studs. However, IMHO, I think it's a good idea to use the rings (available in aluminum or polycarbonate). The rings help minimize any chance of vibration. There's LOTS of information & opinions on the internet. Do a little reading & form your own conclusion. I say they're inexpensive & definitely won't hurt, so why not use them?! Also available on Amazon...

·
Registered
154 Posts
this is the description of the wheels..

20x10 5x114.3 5x120 40 Offset 74.1 Hub

The bolt pattern confuses me, works on both 114.3 and 120?

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
The 5 x 114.3 is the same as the old standard measurement of the Chrysler wheels of 5 x 4 1/2 I have no idea what that second size of 5 x 120 is other than them saying that wheel is available in both of those lug patterns.The stock rear offset is 45 not 40. Some people say that's close enough, but I'm too anal about those things and would want it to be exact, but that's just me.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
this is the description of the wheels..

20x10 5x114.3 5x120 40 Offset 74.1 Hub

The bolt pattern confuses me, works on both 114.3 and 120?
Probably just means those two bolt patterns are available. So you know, 5x114.3(mm) is the same as 5x4.5(inch) - you will see same wheel sometimes, listed with either format.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Sometimes, depending on the wheel, they can be machined down 2 or 3 mm which would get it closer to the +45 rear offset.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts