Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

721 - 728 of 729 Posts

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
All I know is the wheel scared me, but I still had a dumb grin all over my face! Just didn't let my daughter get in lol

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
I will apologize to Polaris once the RPM/Idle issues and radio is fixed, but not before... haha
I'm not apologizing for anything, because I'm an a$$hole. :D Not to Polaris and not to the drunk driver.

If ol' Irish does come back here, he'll never live this one down. He can have his day in court, but it's pretty cut and dry. He was driving the SS and he was more than double the legal limit. I suppose it could be a case of mistaken identity? :rolleyes: I doubt it. There's not much you can say to justify that. Since he's a fire fighter (Captain or other) he likely has a CDL which means he was 4 times over the legal limit at the federal standard. He'll likely lose his livelihood as a firefighter and that sucks for him but he can't say he didn't have it coming. Glad he didn't kill anyone.

I'm surprised he had the nerve to lie to all of us. If I was him, I'd have been too ashamed to show my face around here. The guy obviously has no ethics.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Firefighter! Jag dork! After the first failure and then his BS claim opposite end no less everyone had a legit reason to be scared. I was not enjoying the possibility mine could have a much higher percentage failure with 2 in the tank! Even PM 'ed the JAG to find out the latest. What goes around comes around! Really was no way we could know he was lying. Wouldn't want to take any orders from that dip shit. No integrity and I know what the job consists of. I'm really glad to hear from all you cool SS owners. Experiences, knowledge, suggestions,help, humor,comments it's all good. Hope to run into some of you sometime.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
There's a lot of talk on this, here's a sample:

"my $.02 never liked the SL wheels. Always thought they looked fragile."

"When you buy a set of aftermarket rims, how do you assess their strength? All you are able to see is their Sexy surface. What of their tensile strength? In addition, what does the manufacturer (probably China) do to test the strength of the spokes? I assume they all try to make the rims as light as possible, which could contribute to weakness. Any help with these issues, folks??"

"I suggest that James Talbert and Irishfireman file a complaint with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration."

"I don't care about the repercussions with second recall!"

"I would rather they kill the SS ,than get someone killed in it."

"If ol' Irish does come back here, he'll never live this one down."

"Firefighter! Jag dork! After the first failure and then his BS claim opposite end no less...."

In addition, there was a lot of talk about owners parking the Slingshot out of fear for themselves "and the children" dying, and about suing Polaris, all of which I don't want to include because it's so over-the-top bat-$h!t crazy. At least a hundred pages were posted where Polaris was "the evil, greedy, corporation, out to kill us all!" But in all reality, you're more likely to be attacked by zombies and forced to join their ranks than be killed by a wheel failure on a vehicle that sits five inches off the ground. Vehicles get flats, lugs break and wheels come off, all sorts of things happen in the reality TV show we call "Life."

In an unexpected plot twist, an Irishman became the fall guy instead of Polaris, because he had a pint or two in him. I have news for you folks unaccustomed to the real world: HE'S IRISH! THAT'S MANDATORY!

The Irishman's rear wheel may have hit a curb and the aluminum subsequently failed, or it may have happened in the other order, it doesn't matter for the most part. The tubular frame is well-constructed and highly impact resistant, much like a race car. The shop manual details the layout and accident photos show how well it holds up under stress and protects the occupants. As it turns out, the frame is more resilient than the occupants.

People in general need to understand this is a concept vehicle that, after years of being killed off by accountants, lawyers, and grumpy old men, finally hit the market. It's a rare case in history when John Q. Public gets to drive a concept vehicle, and in this instance the price-tag is well under two million dollars.

Are things perfect? No, not even close. We just took our Slingshot in for a laundry-list of issues, and we expect it won't be back for a while, which is really unfortunate given how much fun it is. This isn't the first trip to the shop, or the second, not even the third, and to be honest the lost time on weekends and during trips has become annoying--and to think the rev hang is still there and radio stations aren't...

We knew there would be some issues with the vehicle before we bought it, there's too much outside-the-box thinking for it all to work perfectly, which Polaris must have also anticipated given how the warranty reads--thankfully we bought additional coverage and the dealer has been great about fast and reliable service. Being on the cutting edge comes with a price, and as far as safety is concerned if it's that important to a person they're most likely better off buying a Volvo than three wheels stuck to bathtub with a jet engine strapped on.

By the way, there are a few guys out there at triple the weight of the average race car driver who've sandwiched themselves and a turbocharging system in a Slingshot, pushed the horsepower output to its theoretical limit, and are carving canyon roads without issue. If you want to be part of that crowd you can't cry like a baby that someone else's wheel came apart, that's just childish.

Like with motorcyclists, we, Slingshot owners, have formed a community, which thanks to the time and effort of some behind the scenes people allows us to stay connected through this forum. If the majority of members conspire to threaten the people that make the products we enjoy, or each other, the community will decline. On the other hand, if we do our best to support our common passion, the community will thrive and the products will improve. It's not my place to tell people how to behave like adults, although doing so is a good choice if one doesn't want their toys taken away.

--Hedgehog

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
At the time the first one broke, the ss was only a couple months old and had just had a vehicle wide stop ride, issued for safety recalls. Certainly, there were unfounded cries for blood, but calling people "bat shit crazy" for being concerned about their family and owns safety, lacks perspective.

721 - 728 of 729 Posts