Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SS buddies, was there a thread regarding the difference between these 2 shock upgrade companies? If not what is your opinion on it? I bought a set of Bilstein (still waiting), wanted to read your input on the 2 options. Thanks!

·
Hold my beer and watch this!
1,319 Posts
Unless you can find someone who has had both and can give you an objective opinion you won't get a proper answer. Each person will base there answer on their personal opnion and on the money they spent.
Also JRi offers different options that Bilstein does not.
Bilstein makes a quality product and I'm sure you will be more than happy over what Polaris offered in the suspension category.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless you can find someone who has had both and can give you an objective opinion you won't get a proper answer. Each person will base there answer on their personal opnion and on the money they spent.
Also JRi offers different options that Bilstein does not.
Bilstein makes a quality product and I'm sure you will be more than happy over what Polaris offered in the suspension category.
Thanks....

·
1,319 Posts
The JRi non-adjustable and the Bilstein one-way adjustable both offer height as the only adjustment. Seems like the major difference is the spring rates.
JRi offers a double adjustable that allows you to adjust height and dampening. They also have an adjustable hydraulic kit that will allow you to adjust the ride height 2" and dampening.

·
Registered
939 Posts
To start off I know nothing about shocks other than what they do. But JRI says their shocks are dyno tested. And that means what? Price wise they are on upper end. Are they dyno tested against Bilstein, and all the other brands? Seems more questions than answers. I believe it really is all personal preference to a degree.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered the Bilstein one-way adjustable. What do you mean with spring rates? Excuse my ignorance...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To start off I know nothing about shocks other than what they do. But JRI says their shocks are dyno tested. And that means what? Price wise they are on upper end. Are they dyno tested against Bilstein, and all the other brands? Seems more questions than answers. I believe it really is all personal preference to a degree.
I'm with you. I'm looking forward to see and feel that ride difference people who have changed the oem ones rave about. Was just trying to understand if there's a big difference between the 2 brands.

·
1,319 Posts
Spring rate refers to the amount of weight that is needed to compress a spring one inch. If the rate of the spring is linear, it's rate is not affected by the load that is put on the spring. For example, say you have a 200 lb. per inch spring - it will compress 1” when a 200 lb. load is placed onto the spring.

Reactions: slayer

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spring rate refers to the amount of weight that is needed to compress a spring one inch. If the rate of the spring is linear, it's rate is not affected by the load that is put on the spring. For example, say you have a 200 lb. per inch spring - it will compress 1” when a 200 lb. load is placed onto the spring.
Understand, thanks!

·
2,333 Posts
A suspension dyno is simply a testing device that measures the shocks as built, or adjusted parameters..... used in this case to verify the shock was built to design specifications before it is shipped out .....

Grab a drink..or a few...and enjoy a long, boring video with more than you ever wanted to know about suspension dyno testing ....

·
Registered
939 Posts
Now translate that into what you need. As in there are 175,200,225,250,300,350 lbs. Spring rates. How do you know? Street rating? Track rating? And in between? Can get quite confusing. You can look at others, then have to determine things like weight of riders and typical load you carry. Some here have chosen as high as 300+ rating but they are bigger guys. Not a one fits all I guess is what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
If I'm not mistake, last year Henry from Alpha in conjunction with JRI, had their shocks at Maggie Valley and were doing a lot of sales. They would install the shocks onto your slingshot so you could test them out, and if you were not satisfied, they would remove them and reinstall your original ones back on and you would owe nothing. Most everyone who tried them bought them. Who knows who or what companies may be there offering this for 2016, but if they do, here's your chance to see how they feel

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
I ordered the Bilstein one-way adjustable. What do you mean with spring rates? Excuse my ignorance...
@slayer - I have the Bilstiens. I am extremely happy with them as @WrathhSS said unless you have had both it is hard to comment objectively. So that being said I am very pleased with the Bilsteins. They are 1 way adjustable meaning you can adjust the height. They come from the factory set 3/4" lower than stock. You can adjust them back to stock height easily. My suggestion is to make sure you take accurate measurements of the heights before you install the new shocks. This way you have a reference point to work from.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@slayer - I have the Bilstiens. I am extremely happy with them as @WrathhSS said unless you have had both it is hard to comment objectively. So that being said I am very pleased with the Bilsteins. They are 1 way adjustable meaning you can adjust the height. They come from the factory set 3/4" lower than stock. You can adjust them back to stock height easily. My suggestion is to make sure you take accurate measurements of the heights before you install the new shocks. This way you have a reference point to work from.
Thanks Macaws, can they be adjusted to the oem height? Would I need a laser alignment if I adjust them?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think the word "SHOCKS" has to do with the price:)...Seriously though, there was an expert post stating that the problem with the SS shocks was that they were linear and cheap ("probably cost $40 to $50 bucks each). Huge jump from $150 to $1000 or $1600. From Spyder experience I believe there is a good size market for a decent aftermarket shock set in the $500 range which offers nothing more than a better ride.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Thanks Macaws, can they be adjusted to the oem height? Would I need a laser alignment if I adjust them?
The way I understand it, as long as your ride height does not change more than 1", you don't have to have an alignment done. If you change more than the 1", you're supposed to get it aligned to prevent unusual tire wear. You can adjust the Bilsteins to your factory ride height easily without worrying about alignment issues. I just installed my new Bilsteins, and only had to make an adjustment to to one of the front shocks, and the rear shock. I did order the spanner wrench with the shocks, but you don't have to. Just be super careful with what ever tool you use so you don't damage the adjusting rings and make them look like crap.
You may want to consider having the laser alignment done sometime down the road anyways, as many of the forum members have had it done and say that it improved their Slings tracking and tire wear. (with or without additional suspension mods)
Hope this helps put your mind at ease about installing your new shocks!!!

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
It takes only a few minutes to adjust them back to stock height. You should not need an alignment if you stay stock. You will need a spanner wrench to adjust them. You can order that with the shocks. I can walk you thru how I adjusted mine.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts