Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

What will be the next recall item? Post your guess

7K views 55 replies 27 participants last post by  gamellott 
#1 ·
Ok, I will start. I believe the next recall item will be the hood latching mechanism. Why, because it has been a source of many peoples complaints and a safety issue. Many on this forum have changed over to after market (stronger) brackets and latches. I have not because I religiously lower my hood to approx. 1 foot than let it drop shut. Then I walk around and push each corner above where the latch is to make sure it has engaged. This last time out on the highway I noticed that my latch by the windshield on the driver side was moving about. I found a off ramp and checked it by pushing on it. But what seemed like it was closed turned out not to be so. It seems that the hood touches the windshield or ledge and not matter how hard I pushed down it did not click. Finally it did. The point is: I had properly closed the hood from the start and checked it by hand each time I ever open the hood. Since I pushed on it and it was hard down, I had no way of knowing that it was not engaged. I realize that the hood is reverse and so probably won't flip up while at highway speeds, however, it still lifts up as going down the highway. I believe this could be a serious safety issue and can't believe it has not been addressed by Polaris since many on the forum have reported similar problems. Now I can never be confident the hood is close just by pushing on it. What is my alternative? I would buy the aftermarket hood / latch systems but feel this is a design flaw and should be corrected by Polaris.

See less See more
#4 ·
Technically, Polaris maintains dropping the hood can damage the locking mechanism. I typically do drop mine, but on;y from about 6" or so and then I press above all 4 latch points. I bought some aftermarket hood brackets over 1 year ago, but still haven't gotten around to installing them.:D

#6 ·
This has been a persistent problem with our 2016.. It has to be closed from at least 6" and then I check all the close points. At times I will have to go back to the release mechanism on the front and activate it as if I am opening it just to get the windshield corners to engage and lock it down. I am still leery of it at high speeds as the fenders flap quite a bit so I know there is quite a bit of force being exerted on that hood..

#8 ·
I think the next thing to get recalled is the cheesy high/low beam shutters in the center lights. I have one that works good and one that bounces all over. When I go from high to low beam the one bounces or flutters and the oncoming guy things I am messing with him/her. Just hoping i dont get a hot head that wants to push the issue, what with practice I am down to about 15000 rounds.

LC

#11 ·
@Denver Bill did the magnet fix to the Titanium, works great! (No more flapping fenders.)

I think the next recall will be the turbo silver paint, as it totally underperforms... LOL

Maybe the steering rack, given the rate of failure and related steering issues. (The first recall was 2014/2015, many are still shipping with issues.)

#13 ·
The Alpha hood brackets cost $80 and after you properly align and adjust everything it's a non-issue evermore.

You can sit around and stew about the crappy latches, wait for Polaris to recall them (they won't) or fix the problem and be done with it.

Just pull your bootstraps up and solve the problem yourself. It's not much work to make them right.

#17 ·
Don't think so, I was drop and hope all brackets would close. The right back bracket would latch sometimes without an extra push. Got it back from the dealer yesterday and it closed perfectly without the drop. I just layed it in there. Looked to see what they might have done to resolve the issue and noticed they adjusted the front two bumpers significantly. Getting the hood to close properly is an art sometimes best left to the professionals.

#20 ·
how about a hood that won't open? 2016 ss delivered last night. dealer is about 75 mi away.
List your location and someone from the group is probably not to far away. The push down to unlock and pull up to open takes a minute
to get use to,

Welcome to the World of Slingshot Insanity......

#22 ·
Not always the dealer, Squirrel had one corner pop open on the freeway one day and couldn't get the hood to latch--or open! We tried different things until the latch release handle broke. :(
Had a similar issue last summer... no matter how hard I pushed on the release lever, it was a no go.

I used a long screwdriver and inserted it into the front, driver side latch and was easily able to activate the release spring and the hood popped open.

#23 ·
I think the next recall will be the loud angle drives and a fender brace to stop the flapping

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
#26 ·
Unfortunately, I doubt Polaris will do anything to address the right-angle drive noise. The marketing survey I completed around September 2015 specifically asked if I was willing to pay more for a quieter drive system. This tells me Polaris made the decision based on manufacturing cost, and unless they start seeing a significantly large number of failures to warrant a recall, will not do anything to correct the drive noise.
Try switching to Redline Heavy Shockproof - Red Line Synthetic Oil - ShockProof® Gear Oils - Heavy ShockProof®. Folks who've tried it generally seem to be happy with it.

#24 ·
I think the next thing to get recalled is the cheesy high/low beam shutters in the center lights. I have one that works good and one that bounces all over. When I go from high to low beam the one bounces or flutters and the oncoming guy things I am messing with him/her. Just hoping i dont get a hot head that wants to push the issue, what with practice I am down to about 15000 rounds.

LC
Time to stock up. I hate to get below 50,000 rounds, especially with the present administration.

#27 ·
Already did that. The good news is that my dealer has permission from polaris to take apart the drive and see what is wrong. I think they will find that it is out of spec for clearances.

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog
#34 ·
Yes, i agree but some mechanics are not great at diagnositcs unless they can hook it to the computer and even then they struggle. I would do the set up myself to be sure they get it right. My hood locks fine but I have to push down on the upper two corners to make sure both latch correctly. The bottom ones seem to work fine but I double check out of habit.

#39 ·
What were the symptoms of the bearing failures?

#36 ·
This is getting old. The amount of time that my Slingshot has been down and unusable is ridiculous. When you talk to Polaris you get nowhere. Anyone out there thinking of a Class Action Suit? My wife won't drive her Slingshot with these recalls which Polaris says are not stop ride recalls. Not sure what classifies as a stop ride. Not the possibility of the swing arm breaking or falling off? Not the possibility of burning up because of a faulty fuel line or connection? Motorcycles are inherently way more dangerous than cars but these guys are getting away with everything. Doesn't seem right to me.

#38 ·
My recalls have been done so I sympathies with you if yours are still outstanding. Meanwhile I drove it, the odds of serious failures are low based on the number of incidents reported. That being said I still inspected the various components the where subject to failure before and after a ride.

#45 ·
Will do, thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.