Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
This is getting old. The amount of time that my Slingshot has been down and unusable is ridiculous. When you talk to Polaris you get nowhere. Anyone out there thinking of a Class Action Suit?
GAWD, here we go with talking lawsuits again, sheesh, really?? :(

Two years, 15,000 miles, rain and shine, our SlingShot has never been non-drive-able, it has never let us down on the road, and it has spent a total of three weeks in the shop, simply because we chose to drop it off one weekend and pick it up the following weekend due to the distance to the dealer. Considering the vehicle is a brand new concept, we believe that the Grasshopper has served us admirably while Polaris, along with our dealer, have been doing their best to keep it that way. We didn't even extend the warranty because we simply cannot imagine anything going wrong to the point of justifying that cost.

All grins and no complaints here! :D

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
GAWD, here we go with talking lawsuits again, sheesh, really?? :(

Two years, 15,000 miles, rain and shine, our SlingShot has never been non-drive-able, it has never let us down on the road, and it has spent a total of three weeks in the shop, simply because we chose to drop it off one weekend and pick it up the following weekend due to the distance to the dealer. Considering the vehicle is a brand new concept, we believe that the Grasshopper has served us admirably while Polaris, along with our dealer, have been doing their best to keep it that way. We didn't even extend the warranty because we simply cannot imagine anything going wrong to the point of justifying that cost.

All grins and no complaints here! :D

Bill and Justina
I was in your boat but at 34,000 miles my fuse block melted for no reason and was in the shop for 51 days. Now I took it down for my recall work and they can't get the ASP light to turn off. So I assume it's going to be in the shop for another week or so. I felt like you did when I was having no problems but now I'm at the point where I'm thinking about trading but my wife says why trade up to a new one and you'll end up with new problems.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I was in your boat but at 34,000 miles my fuse block melted for no reason and was in the shop for 51 days. Now I took it down for my recall work and they can't get the ASP light to turn off. So I assume it's going to be in the shop for another week or so. I felt like you did when I was having no problems but now I'm at the point where I'm thinking about trading but my wife says why trade up to a new one and you'll end up with new problems.
Keep in mind that the SlingShot is a concept vehicle, as it is being tested everybody, Polaris, their dealers, and mostly ourselves, all are on a learning curve. The fuse block melted for no reason? No, JerriEric, there had to be a reason? As for your ASP light, when the problem is finally diagnosed, it will benefit all SlingShot owners in the future if this problem ever happens with them! ;)

If Polaris had waited until they had worked out all the bug-a-boos, we probably still would be waiting for it and would have been missing out on all the fun that we already have been having! :)

Added note, You got 34,000 miles on yours before having any "major issues?" At that rate we can still look forward to another two years of trouble free riding, where, in the mean time, most of these issues will be resolved.

Thanks for the encouraging news, JerriEric, now I think I am going to go riding!!! :D

Bill

·
Registered
989 Posts
Put your Sling in nuetral and roll it back and forth on a smooth surface such as your garage/driveway or a good parking lot, and listen for a crunching / grinding sound.
Will do, thanks

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Concept vehicle? It's going on the fourth year of production. I think you've been drinking too much of the Polaris Kool-Aid. I know when the BRP Can-Am Spyder came out I think my daughter has had one recall since she bought it new in 2008 when they first came out. It's called doing all the R&D to death before you release a product.

·
Super Moderator
2,883 Posts
I got a knock sensor that went out at 15,000 miles. It was in the shop when the Polaris warranty expired, 6-week backorder, minimum. FOR A GM KNOCK SENSOR!

Fuel Powersports bought me one and stuck it in. I offered to pay for it, the service manager said "No."

FUEL has gone to bat for me on a lot of other issues, Cedar Creek Motorsports made parking available for others and myself at festivals, and the vendors here on SlingshotForums have been nothing short of awesome. Often it's forming a good relationship that saves one's bacon--and who doesn't love bacon???

prophetpork[1].jpg

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Can-Am Spyder came out I think my daughter has had one recall since she bought it new in 2008 when they first came out.
Hee hee, it is really funny that you bring up the Spyder, I have a co-worker that keeps two of them, when you ask him why he owns two of them the response that you will get is, "It is so that I will still have one to ride while the other is in the shop getting repaired!" :)

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2,883 Posts
Spyder, I have a co-worker that keeps two of them, when you ask him why he owns two of them the response that you will get is, "It is so that I still have one to ride while the other is in the shop getting repaired!" :)

Bill
Same reason we have two Slingshots and a motorcycle...

·
Registered
139 Posts
My vote goes to the ball joints. They may be considered a wear item, but I have seen what happens when a ball joint separates and It can cause an accident. I don't know how bad it got for other people before they reported a problem, but my rig has 1-2 mm of travel on the uppers with only 6k miles on it. For an unservicible joint, that's unacceptable. Your average full sized vehicle gets a LOT more miles on it before they need to be replaced or experience this much wear.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Are there any noticeable symptom's of wear that a novice should be aware of?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
looks like the tires cupping a little bit but the right tire was almost down to the wear bars and the left tire had plenty of tread left. Other than that I didn't see if I could shake the wheel while it was jacked up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In addition to what @JerriEric said, you can easily figure out if your uppers are loose by opening the hood, placing a finger against the upper control arm and the spindle assembly and pull out/away on the top of the wheel repeatedly. If you feel the spindle move as you're pulling away, it's a safe bet that you have excessive wear on your uppers (this only requires about 40some pounds of force, so if you're limpwristing it, you won't feel or see anything). If you have someone help you do the pulling, you can probably see the movement. I haven't noticed any unusual tire wear yet, but it's only got 6200 miles on it and I don't do much driving that's in a straight line thanks to living in the boonies in WA. Lots of hills and curvy, bumpy roads between home and work which probably helps cause premature wear, but still, not acceptable IMHO. There should be zirk fittings on these things!! It's the automotive industry grabbing you by the huevos.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts