Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking a 7x12 with a v nose would work, with the SS backed in. But is the door opening on a 7' trailer wide enough? Maybe an 8.5x12?? I will be towing with a 2012 Nissan Frontier 4l 4x4, so need to keep the weight as little as possible.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
@lowlander wont work. For an enclosed trailer you need at least a 8x14 ft. and than just barley enough room for the wheels to clear the
door. I bought a 7 x 14 open utility trailer with a 6ft tail gate --- about a 1.5 in clearance on each side. pulled with a Ford Edge 6cyc. 2011,
Got a Trailering cover from Polaris which works great. I got the dual
axel and could have gone a little cheaper with a single and had it work.
EjSS141.jpg

When loading need to hook the trailer to the truck and
'jack up' the front to take some of the angle out of the tail
gate ramp. Most economical way to go. Northern Indiana to
Florida to Lake Charles, LA home to IN. Work great --- just used a lot of gas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@lowlander wont work. For an enclosed trailer you need at least a 8x14 ft. and than just barley enough room for the wheels to clear the
door. I bought a 7 x 14 open utility trailer with a 6ft tail gate --- about a 1.5 in clearance on each side. pulled with a Ford Edge 6cyc. 2011,
Got a Trailering cover from Polaris which works great. I got the dual
axel and could have gone a little cheaper with a single and had it work. View attachment 53426
When loading need to hook the trailer to the truck and
'jack up' the front to take some of the angle out of the tail
gate ramp. Most economical way to go. Northern Indiana to
Florida to Lake Charles, LA home to IN. Work great --- just used a lot of gas.
I have an open 7x14 trailer much like yours. But it doesn't have electric brakes. And when towing with the Frontier I want trailer brakes. I agree the 7' wide trailer will not likely have enough door opening width. Tomorrow I'll go to a trailer dealer and confirm that detail. Maybe a 8.5x12 v nose enclosed?? With SS backed in?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Twist top. Do you think the Polaris trailering cover will fit over it? For long hauls the roof structure will easily come off, so the cover will be fine. I'm thinking about overnight outdoor protection. One more question. No paint scuffing with the Polaris cover??

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I have a Twist top. Do you think the Polaris trailering cover will fit over it? For long hauls the roof structure will easily come off, so the cover will be fine. I'm thinking about overnight outdoor protection. One more question. No paint scuffing with the Polaris cover??
NO...I'm topless with a F4 Custom 5+ tinted windshield and just works. The trailing cover is great. Only issue was the 'buckle'
under the bike buffed up the lower black plastic. "minor"
I bought mine 'used' from a forum member.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
I have an open 7x14 trailer much like yours. But it doesn't have electric brakes. And when towing with the Frontier I want trailer brakes. I agree the 7' wide trailer will not likely have enough door opening width. Tomorrow I'll go to a trailer dealer and confirm that detail. Maybe a 8.5x12 v nose enclosed?? With SS backed in?
Will your unit pull the 8.5 enclosed? If the 12 ft is the total I don't think it will work. Had a v-nose at one point and the front ft ????

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 8.5x14 and it's perfect but you must have something to pull it with. Most 8.5 come as a car hauler unless you you get one special built as a utility trailer the weight is much less. Reid

·
Registered
543 Posts
Backing into or onto a trailer may put too much weight on the rear of the trailer and not putting enough tongue weight on the hitch. You want most weight over axles or just forward of them. Especially with a light weight tow vehicle.
Larry

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Backing into or onto a trailer may put too much weight on the rear of the trailer and not putting enough tongue weight on the hitch. You want most weight over axles or just forward of them. Especially with a light weight tow vehicle.
Larry
Great point! And that is exactly why I ask questions on this Forum. Get responses addressing issues I wasn't thinking about.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Great point! And that is exactly why I ask questions on this Forum. Get responses addressing issues I wasn't thinking about.
My dual axel with electric breaks was about $2,500.00 and than had to do the hitch and breaks on the Ford Edge. Overall for me was the right way to go. Can also use the trailer in my business --- tax write off. The only time my Slingshot will be on the trailer will be Dec/Jan
for a trip to warm Sunny Florida for a couple of weeks.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
Get radial tires over bias tires and if offered the hidden dove tail helps with loading angle.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Regardless of what style you get, make sure it has a net load capacity of 2000 lbs MINIMUM. The Slingshot stock is about 1700. The weight of the load plus the weight of the trailer is your total Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW). If you undersize the load, well.........

Adding an enclosure adds weight and lowers your net load capacity. The smaller the trailer, the more important this becomes.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
If you go too short with the trailer and have to back it in to fit you may be putting to much weight to the rear. This can cause the trailer to wag back and forth at highway speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
83 Posts
Avoid any trailer in which you have to back the SS in. You need to keep most of the weight on the front of the trailer or it will wag like a dogs tail.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts