Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple posts on this and I just wanted to be sure. I'm getting ready to change my own oil soon. I have seen enough how to to feel confident enough to do it myself. I just purchased 5 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic blend. Is this the correct viscosity for a 2016.5 slingshot

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Page 52 of the owners manual ....

"always use POLARIS SLINGSHOT Premium 5w-30 engine oil or another 5w-30 dexos 1-approved engine oil"

dexos1™ (First Generation) Brands | GM dexos® Licensing Program

Mobil 1 synthetic blend 5w-30 does not appear to be on the list .....

It looks like I just didn't give enough information. What I bought is on the list under license number GB1A0915015. Thank you for the site. Very helpful information

·
Registered
192 Posts

Page 52 of the owners manual ....

"always use POLARIS SLINGSHOT Premium 5w-30 engine oil or another 5w-30 dexos 1-approved engine oil"

dexos1™ (First Generation) Brands | GM dexos® Licensing Program

Mobil 1 synthetic blend 5w-30 does not appear to be on the list .....

mobil one.jpg

Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic oil, i am guessing @Orangeman was confused because the OP said it was a synthetic blend which it is not, so OM was looking for a blended and couldn't find it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
View attachment 127593
Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic oil, i am guessing @Orangeman was confused because the OP said it was a synthetic blend which it is not, so OM was looking for a blended and couldn't find it.
Sorry about that. The bottle does say synthetic on the front but the code on the back does match line 3 of that chart.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quaker State makes a semi-syn that is Dexos rated and Super Tech makes one that is Syn. As often as we have to change, any 5-30 with Dexos is fine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Quaker State makes a semi-syn that is Dexos rated and Super Tech makes one that is Syn. As often as we have to change, any 5-30 with Dexos is fine.
Good Oil is cheap, there is no reason to use crappy oil when good oil is so easy to get.

I am not saying go Amsoil but given that you can get Mobil 1 for $30 with a Mobil1 filter included(one of the best filters)., another cheap oil is rotella T6 for $20 per gallon at walmart which a lot of people like due to its high zinc content.

Check advance auto and Oreillys sunday ad, they alternate which oil they put on sale, once mobil 1 comes around get it and have it in your garage for when you need it.

Whichever oil you decide to use don't get it at the dealer and don't get the individual quarts, that is where they over charge you for no reason, a 5 gallon jug of mobil 1 at walmart is $25 but if you buy the individual quart there($8 per qt) the same 5 quarts of oil cost you $40.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Just turned 40 thousand miles on I've always use Mobil 1 5 w30. Went to Walmart and they didn't stock the 5w 30 so I went with Valvoline full sync 5w 30. I don't think it makes much difference what brand you buy just so it is a name brand.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's a GM car engine. Last I looked Pontiac wasn't recommending Polaris oil for the Solstice. Any oil will pretty much get you to 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Walmart down my way has plenty of Mob1 5-30, as well as Castrol, Quaker, Pennzoil, etc; all of which are good for 8-10K miles in most cars, but since we're changing (per Polaris) every 5K, any 5-30 will be more than adequate. I just did my 15K change with Castrol Edge instead of my normal Mob1 just for the heck of it.

Reactions: TimC

·
Registered
192 Posts
I almost feel like captain obvious for saying this but the recommended interval of 5k is for "normal use" , if you are someone who runs your sling hard it would be better to switch it even more often.

Personally I am switching my oil around 1.5k-2k miles since even switching it that early the oil is pretty dark, I just sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs , this is the oil from my 3rd oil change, once i get it I will post the results.

Since it is pretty cheap It would be interesting if more people do an oil analysis

1 - 20 of 23 Posts