Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There are a lot of people adding trailer hitches to their SlingShots for many reasons. I thought it'd be fun to have a thread where we can post pictures and info about the kinds of things we are pulling around the country with our SS's! These 3 wheeled workhorses pull like a tractor!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow that alot of weight. Hope everything is ok and dandy. Have a safe trip! Keep an eye on the rear swing arm. Their has been a couple of incidents of it cracking.
Thanks for heads up..... I've sold a couple of hitches to guys that had swing arm mounted units that they swapped out. I think I'm pretty good keeping the tongue weight down....I will know every issue there is after my testing, that's for sure!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
@RichArlt do you mind sharing what kind of wheels and size specs you have?
I bought my wheels and tires from Roaring Toyz. Went with the Rohana Wheels and Dilente Tires. Front's are 20", Rear is a 22."

Slingshot Custom Wheel Package 20/22" Black Style 13

Alternative Views:

Our Price: $1,999.99

Availability:: Usually Ships in 3 to 5 Business Days
Product Code: SSWP13

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, I am the self appointed "testthewhollyhelloutofyourSS" with the Wycked Hitch System Testor (or testee?)

Certain factions (that I cannot name) have requested I do this testing. Of course I need to put up a disclaimer that this was done by a non professional driver, on a public road, in a stock Polaris Slingshot.

As the manufacturer of the hitch, I have to test every crazy scenario that somebody might try to pull if they install our hitch! I've done it all, and I am confident that if they stick to our recommendations, and do not exceed load limits there will be no issues! That being said, there are those out there who will actually try to tow an inboard boat I imagine, hence the two-million-dollar product liability policy we have taken out!

FYI, we are the only hitch that is approved and installed by the 2 largest dealers in the country. Cycle Springs in Florida, and now Bert's Mega Mall in Southern, CA.

Another interesting fact; I did not have to tap the brakes more than 3 times during the 2 miles of the road that this was filmed on, and I could slow that thing to safe speeds by shifting down. Our top speed was no higher than 35 miles per hour on the downhill portions......50+ uphill.

Another testing note; My "brake failure" light came on a few times over the 2,500 mile trip when we had to stop quickly in heavy traffic. The cruise control does not work if that light is on. I learned I can just switch the ignition off, turn it back on, and pop the clutch while moving to start the engine and everything resets. The brakes and steering work fine with the engine off by the way.

I'm telling you first hand, the SS is one amazing machine! I have over 18,000 miles on mine now.....I have not been nice to it either! Time for an oil change and some checks to the drive assembly.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Actually, I am the self appointed "testthewhollyhelloutofyourSS" with the Wycked Hitch System Testor (or testee?)

Certain factions (that I cannot name) have requested I do this testing. Of course I need to put up a disclaimer that this was done by a non professional driver, on a public road, in a stock Polaris Slingshot.

As the manufacturer of the hitch, I have to test every crazy scenario that somebody might try to pull if they install our hitch! I've done it all, and I am confident that if they stick to our recommendations, and do not exceed load limits there will be no issues! That being said, there are those out there who will actually try to tow an inboard boat I imagine, hence the two-million-dollar product liability policy we have taken out!

FYI, we are the only hitch that is approved and installed by the 2 largest dealers in the country. Cycle Springs in Florida, and now Bert's Mega Mall in Southern, CA.

Another interesting fact; I did not have to tap the brakes more than 3 times during the 2 miles of the road that this was filmed on, and I could slow that thing to safe speeds by shifting down. Our top speed was no higher than 35 miles per hour on the downhill portions......50+ uphill.

Another testing note; My "brake failure" light came on a few times over the 2,500 mile trip when we had to stop quickly in heavy traffic. The cruise control does not work if that light is on. I learned I can just switch the ignition off, turn it back on, and pop the clutch while moving to start the engine and everything resets. The brakes and steering work fine with the engine off by the way.

I'm telling you first hand, the SS is one amazing machine! I have over 18,000 miles on mine now.....I have not been nice to it either! Time for an oil change and some checks to the drive assembly.
FYI from another thread on this topic;

I'd really love to take mine camping. Has anyone found the realistic hitch weight and tow weight limit on the Slingshot?
Probably getting off topic a bit here, don't want to get "Spanked" by the thread police again:facepalm: :banghead: :blackeye:......... so we will need to move to one of the trailer towing/hitch threads after this.

In my testing, I wanted to test worst case scenarios and have done it all (check out my Youtube videos). We have the limitations for our hitch listed on my website. If you hook up high, use good judgement, triple your stopping distance, and drive your SS in "subdued mode," you can safely pull up to 1,200 lbs like I have proven. That being said, there is a reason I have a $2 million product liability policy in effect. People will always go above and beyond rated limitations........

I'll just tell you this; I've traveled over 18,000 miles with my 2015 Base SS. Over 6,000 miles have been testing the hell out of the towing capabalities of the engine, drive train, and hitch assembly. I've towed an average weight of 900 lbs. with no trailer brakes. (I would only do this with a hitch system that is mounted like the Wycked is). Our last trip was pulling the cargo trailer I built from Central WA to Southern CA. Trailer weighs in at 917 lbs empty. I towed it over 1,000 miles with a tongue weight of 120 lbs and a loaded weight of approx 1,400 lbs. After unloading hitches in Auburn, CA, we went another 1500 miles with a tongue weight of about 80 lbs and trailer load of about 1,200 lbs.

I take average care of my SS, oil changes about 6,000 miles full synthetic, run after market wheels/tires, and added the 1320 header and Alpha Remote Adjustable Exhaust (drilled a few extra holes in my air intake box). The SS has performed flawlessly! I have had the recall work done and replaced both center headlamps which burned out at about the 15,000 mile mark (3 weeks apart). I know I need to bleed my brakes, as they have always been a bit "spungy," and I've had my "brake failure" light come on a few times recently. There's a great fix on the forum for that.

All said, I am extremely happy and pleased with the towing performance of the Slingshot. I foresee a trailer towing package option in the near future! :cigar:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
FYI from another thread on this topic;

Probably getting off topic a bit here, don't want to get "Spanked" by the thread police again:facepalm: :banghead: :blackeye:......... so we will need to move to one of the trailer towing/hitch threads after this.

In my testing, I wanted to test worst case scenarios and have done it all (check out my Youtube videos). We have the limitations for our hitch listed on my website. If you hook up high, use good judgement, triple your stopping distance, and drive your SS in "subdued mode," you can safely pull up to 1,200 lbs like I have proven. That being said, there is a reason I have a $2 million product liability policy in effect. People will always go above and beyond rated limitations........

I'll just tell you this; I've traveled over 18,000 miles with my 2015 Base SS. Over 6,000 miles have been testing the hell out of the towing capabalities of the engine, drive train, and hitch assembly. I've towed an average weight of 900 lbs. with no trailer brakes. (I would only do this with a hitch system that is mounted like the Wycked is). Our last trip was pulling the cargo trailer I built from Central WA to Southern CA. Trailer weighs in at 917 lbs empty. I towed it over 1,000 miles with a tongue weight of 120 lbs and a loaded weight of approx 1,400 lbs. After unloading hitches in Auburn, CA, we went another 1500 miles with a tongue weight of about 80 lbs and trailer load of about 1,200 lbs.

I take average care of my SS, oil changes about 6,000 miles full synthetic, run after market wheels/tires, and added the 1320 header and Alpha Remote Adjustable Exhaust (drilled a few extra holes in my air intake box). The SS has performed flawlessly! I have had the recall work done and replaced both center headlamps which burned out at about the 15,000 mile mark (3 weeks apart). I know I need to bleed my brakes, as they have always been a bit "spungy," and I've had my "brake failure" light come on a few times recently. There's a great fix on the forum for that.

All said, I am extremely happy and pleased with the towing performance of the Slingshot. I foresee a trailer towing package option in the near future! :cigar:
Thank you. I will be checking out you vids this afternoon. I just need something for 2 people and a dog to sleep in comfortably.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.