Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting ready to buy our Slingshot and I am having trouble locking down insurance. No one knows how to categorize these things- car insurance does not want to insure it and I’ve tried Progressive Motorcycle and the can’t figure out what it is either. Who do you guys use for quality insurance?
Thanks!!

· Registered
3,177 Posts
Used them forever and they always have covered my and my wife's accidents.
I pulled up to a parking block in our car at the time and picked up a couple of friends for lunch. When I went to back out I had not noticed that the extra weight had dropped the front spoiler behind the parking block, and I ripped the bumper cover off. Now before this we had never used any insurance to cover an accident, it was a particularly stressful time and I really did not want to mess with it so I just turned over the whole thing to Progressive. Unbeknownest to us, Progressive refused to replace the bumper cover and instructed the repair shop to use oversized washers to fill the holes where the bolts pulled through the cover. The repair was under $1,000. When our next payment become due the premium had been raised exactly the amount that Progressive had paid for the claim. Like I said, never again!

One consolation to this whole experience was that the repair shop never cashed the check for the deductible, I reckoned they were too ashamed to do so.

Bill

· Registered
5,911 Posts
In the early days of the Slingshot there were only a couple of companies that would insure a Slingshot. And some (State Farm) would not in all states. need to shop a little and it is a MOTORCYCLE for insurance ...
Federal VIN = Motorcycle.

· Registered
1,293 Posts
I'm using Progressive but only because Nationwide raised my rates too high. Nationwide handled my total accident (hit by a drunk driver) very satisfactorily. As @EjFord said, shop it around. The companies who do not know how to write it can give you quotes well over $1,000/yr. Most folks are well under that. I think I'm in the 500s.

· Registered
11 Posts
We have our home, cars, life, and medicare supplement with State Farm. They quoted me $495 for a year. For the exact same coverage, Progressive wanted $1400. $900 difference just because we have bundled our insurance.

With that said, it's next to impossible to compare insurance premiums from one person to another due to all the variables like age, location, driving record, limits of coverage, and credit score.

· Registered
94 Posts
Just getting ready to buy our Slingshot and I am having trouble locking down insurance. No one knows how to categorize these things- car insurance does not want to insure it and I’ve tried Progressive Motorcycle and the can’t figure out what it is either. Who do you guys use for quality insurance?
Thanks!!
Tn Farm Bureau on my 2022 R

· Registered
3 Posts
Thanks!!
Allstate, great coverage. Reasonable rates, $750 for the SS, Goldwing and Bushtec trailer. Had them for years

· Registered
5 Posts
Thanks!!
SafeCo (A subsidiary of Liberty Mutual) generally has the best rates by far ($235/yr in Wisconsin) - the limitation being does SafeCo do business in your state?

· Registered
6 Posts
I'm using Progressive but only because Nationwide raised my rates too high. Nationwide handled my total accident (hit by a drunk driver) very satisfactorily. As @EjFord said, shop it around. The companies who do not know how to write it can give you quotes well over $1,000/yr. Most folks are well under that. I think I'm in the 500s.
$1,000 a year? Mine is $502 a month and I don't have any accidents. I'm with GEICO, but if I could get it for $1,000/year with someone else, I'll change insurance carriers.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts