Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so sick and tired of people saying "well you get what you pay for" when it comes to the slingshot comparing it to 50-100k cars of one variety of another and I have no idea why.

I am a car enthusiast. I have driven a lot of new cars and many of them are under 20k, the price of a slingshot. I have never ever ever seen a car with the fit finish issues that the SS has. Can we all agree that the SS has inferior fit finish to ANY car in production in the U.S.? I don't care how you justify it is simply fact unless some one would like to lay out a make model of which they believe to be of worse quality? (I wont hold my breath)

The slingshot however is a motorcycle and I will be first in line to say I am not a well informed motorcycle guy. I have been around plenty of bikes but don't know them like I know cars so here is the challenge. What bike has worse fit finish issues then a slingshot and how much does it cost? (seriously, I want to know)

The slingshot is an awesome, fun, niche vehicle and I want to own one come next spring but I feel like their are way to many false impressions of what kind of quality you are getting for your money. People should be less backing polaris and the slingshot because it is their perception of a cheap thrill and pushing polaris to produce a product that keeps up with the quality expected of a road legal vehicle.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Some folks don't mind that it's not perfect or that the original release was basically a beta test. Most of what's being released now doesn't seem to have the same "fit and finish" issues as the originals. The Slingshot isn't for everyone, we've heard folks say they drove it and didn't like it for whatever reason, some can't get past the little things. Polaris is still tweaking it, mostly by following the complaints listed here. If it doesn't "float your boat" get a different toy. It's not a vette, never will be.........

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
780 Posts
Having owned a number of fiberglass and "plastic" trimmed vehicles, I understand some of the issues and others need to have to understand some of the issues with fit and finish. Body panels that fit exactly in the cold garage, fit differently in the hot sun and vise versa.

Body panels flex and give with pressure, temperature changes in areas where they meet. Attaching points and underside support members can also cause warpage and stress on plastic panels.

Painting them is also another challange and even with modern paints, there are still some issues. Paint has to be flexible and still have the "look" desired. Hand finishing and more attention to fit and finish costs money.

So not excuses, but the reality is that plastic parts have many advantages, but also have many challanges and issues that need to be understood.

My SS definately has a better than 20 footer paint quality, but not in the same league with a close up modern custom paint job. For an outdoor oriented fun vehicle the paint an panel quality seem pretty good to me. Could they be better.... sure... do they need to be better ....not sure?

Some people will just drive it, leave it wet, never wash or wax or care for it. Others will baby it, not drive it in the rain and polish the clear coat off of it and never be happy with fit and finish. Rough edges or faded paint do not effect the ability for it to drive great! So what is the priority?

If you want plush carpet, fine leather, quiet driveline, a/c and heater and precisie fit and finish, I am not sure an open air three wheeld motorcycle is what you really need. Plastic floors with drains, waterproof seats and open cockpit driving is what the SS offers and meets the needs of an raw outdoor oriented driver.

I will wash and wax mine from time to time, and probaly put some rubber floor mats in it and drive it in the rain every now and then. So I will enjoy it and take care of it but also enjoy the roughness of the raw outdoor experience!

Reactions: NightFlyer

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
I have never ever ever seen a car with the fit finish issues that the SS has. Can we all agree that the SS has inferior fit finish to ANY car in production in the U.S.? .
Yes.

The slingshot however is a motorcycle and I will be first in line to say I am not a well informed motorcycle guy. I have been around plenty of bikes but don't know them like I know cars so here is the challenge. What bike has worse fit finish issues then a slingshot and how much does it cost? (seriously, I want to know)
For 20k you can buy a motorcycle with excellent fit and finish. I don't have a good and bad list off the top of my head but there are many Ducati's, Triumphs, BMW's and big 4 Japanese motorcycles with far superior fit and finish for 20k or less.

People should be less backing polaris and the slingshot because it is their perception of a cheap thrill and pushing polaris to produce a product that keeps up with the quality expected of a road legal vehicle.
We are......Well, to a point. As in love with the SS as I am, I don't think anyone here doesn't recognize the room for improvement. Albeit, I'm willing to deal with it because I still believe it's worth it, even if down the road the same money can buy a more refined version of the SS. I want my fun now. I have no delusions about it's quality or fit and finish.

I do disagree on one point. I don't expect them to have the same fit and finish of a 20k-25k car from a much larger company with a much larger market. If I was looking for a car, I agree, I could get much more "car" for the same money. If I went to the car market looking for a Slingshot level of fun, I don't think I could come close without spending close to twice the money......Or more. (I say "I think" because It's my best guess based on what I've heard from those that have taken delivery. I don't have mine yet. :meh:)

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
Dont take it out of context, Its a lightweight unit, metal weighs more than tupperware and light materials that are strong would run the cost up. It has a heavy motor and chasis, that wieght and cost cant be avoided, so they lighten up on other places.
Yes, they can clean up some of the rough edges and perfect their paint system, and they will, as this is first units made, but it will still be a slingshot.
All the cars under 20k you are talking about wont have the HP/LBS ratio, nor are they made with waterproof materials. There is more materials in this SS than my Goldwing motorcycle that cost more money. This is what Polaris calls the slingshot, so either buy one as they offer it or buy something else.

·
Registered
645 Posts
While I love my SL, it is the only vehicle I have ever bought that had mold marks left on the body panels. I have owned dozens of motorcycles from Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Ducats, Honda, Indian, and Harley. The fit and finish has always been top notch with Honda focusing on perfection. The Polaris Indian motorcycle line is some of the best looking motorcycles I have ever seen with fit and finish way above the other brands. Comparing prices, my wife's 2013 convertible Mini Cooper cost the same as my SL. The Mini has perfect fit and finish inside and out.

But, we are comparing apples to zebras here. The SL is a new type of vehicle. Will it get better? You bet. Will it get more expensive? Without a doubt.

I bought the first year (1996) BMW Z3 (still have it) and at the time it was cheaper than a mustang. There were obvious things that could have been improved that were in 1997 and beyond. The last year of the Z3 was quite a different car, but it also came at a hefty price.

While close inspection reveals some flaws, you can nit pick anything, regardless of the price. A friend once told me that no matter how attractive a woman is, somewhere there's a man who got tired of putting up with her crap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts