Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

What do you NOT like about the Slingshot?

56K views 329 replies 137 participants last post by  SlungLow 
#1 ·
I am certain Polaris will keep a keen eye on this forum as time marches on so this would be an excellent place to tell them what may have missed the mark. More power? Lower price? Matching helmets?

For me, it was love at first sight. But now that we have woken up in the same bed together the morning after (in the harsh sunlight) there are a few things I hope they work on in the future:
1. The 3/4 front view is a bit off. Someone described it as looking like those motorized 3 wheel chairs on the market and I would tend to agree. I am already contemplating changes to fix this so might be correctable.
2. More colors
3. A stripper model (you know what I mean)
4. Rear view camera for a mirror. Not sure if the one it has will be able to perform this function (it may only be for backing up) but the 4.3" screen is a little small for glancing while driving.

If you were the lead Slingshot engineer for a day, what would you tell your team to work on?

#3 ·
I can do without wipers. The windshield is plastic and the required increase of size and material density (glass) would increase the weight toward car levels. When I was poor in college I got by without wipers by keeping rainx applied without a problem.

I am interested in the 2016s. My concern is a price increase due to unanticipated demand for 2015s. If it got north of 25k, it would be a nogo. I think they will put the momentum at risk by a significant increase.

Other than that, I am pretty happy by what I see. They could decrease weight as an improvement if they need one. A third edition with carbon fiber body for 30k would probably sell well.

#170 ·
I don' t believe there is as much of demand as this forum thinks there is,I called two different dealers today and I could walk in and buy one tonight for MSRP plus shipping and they both have them in stock,i have had my deposit down since July 29.My dealer has no Slingshots.In South Carolina you can get on a short wait list for MSRP and no other charges,other than tax and tags.This may end up being like a toilet paper shortage,no shortage REALLY,and yes I am pissed if I had not put a large deposit down I would wall away now,and wait until the start discounting them,and they will.

#5 ·
The 3/4 front view is a bit off. Someone described it as looking like those motorized 3 wheel chairs on the market and I would tend to agree.
Sounds like what I said, but it's the 3/4 rear view.

The whole area around the rear wheel looks unfinished, as does area between the X-wings (which is the coolest part of the design and the saving grace I think) behind the front wheels.

On balance though the whole thing works; somehow I find myself overlooking the details.

We'll see if that holds over time.

#9 ·
I wouldn't go too overboard here. There were probably weight savings and cost considerations. I'm sure every part of the design was looked at with a fine tooth comb. This thing is completely outside the box. Until something like it comes out from a major player, we don't have a good baseline. If you use the T-Rex as baseline, the SS makes the T-Rex look like a clown car. If y'all are concerned about the back end, put a fatter tire back there and wait for the saddle bags which will no doubt come out and add some detail in the large undecorated area.

#11 ·
I think if they did the motorcycle engine, we would be back at the T-rex-style design. Lightweight, cheap, strong...pick two. Glad they picked cheap (relatively) and strong, otherwise they could have just done a cost-reduced version of T-Rex. If that were the case, I don't think the response would be as big as what we are seeing.

#12 ·
Actually I'm on board with their choice.

I prefer a torquey lower revving big engine to a shreiking smaller one, and I wager the fuel economy will be better; 500-lb sport bikes mostly get mid-30's mpg, and I'm sure a bike engine would have raised the price.

My only concern is that the steering isn't as light and direct as I'm hoping for.

#14 ·
I mentioned in another thread that I thought the steering wheel looks a bit cheap and plasticky. Maybe because I've only seen pictures of the cockpit on line, I don't have a full appreciation, but the overall cockpit leaves me a bit underwhelmed and I can't quite put my finger on what it is I don't like. I don't know if it is all the angles and such and I do own a Spyder so unusual design is not a dis qualifier. I'm thinking the cockpit should look a bit more refined or "Vette-like"?

Oh, and electronics. More and better. Nav, sat radio, larger screen, digital and analog gauges, etc. Can't go wrong with something that glows or makes a whirring sound.

#16 ·
I think you are on track that it is the fit and finish. I can't ding it as much since its only a $20k car..er...motorcycle and most $20k cars suck in this department too. It is a bit Tupperware clashing with Rubbermaid in there but is also has to be waterproof. I think it is in line with what boats have to offer so I guess I can look past it.

#19 ·
I guess I would second most of what was said here with the understanding that Polaris is listening/lurking and that more voices they hear mean more interest. I would also like to see two hard side removable bags for long distance travel, but with the option to easily remove them. Some type of roll bar could be nice if it was designed to look wicked like the SS. Maybe some incentive for all first model purchasers to act as a test market/study group to offer suggestions to make the SS better after one has put it through the paces. Think about it. We are asked/enticed to purchase a new class of a product never before seen. We are the guinea pigs spending our hard earned money on little snippets of advertising hype etc, etc, etc. So what I am proposing is that since we took a chance with Polaris and we will be their good will ambassadors, that maybe they would give a $5,000 credit towards the purchase of the next generation SS (plus trade-in allowance). They would get the first generation back to headquarters to ripe apart and reassess its strengths and weaknesses after being driven for a couple of years. I believe something like that would be fair to all of us who blindly put faith in there engineering.
I am so looking forward to actually picking mine up in Oct. I hope there will be no delays or dealer tricks. I spend hours watching some of the you-tube videos of the cycle magazines/press where they take the SS through its paces and the camera is mounted on top over their heads looking down the road. It looks like it can scream and will be a thrill a minute. So I guess until we actually see them, test them, most suggestions are mute.

#23 ·
I think the price is a little high. You can buy a Camry for about the same money that has traction control, ABS, and stability control. The Camry has airbags, cruise, heating and air conditioning, sound system, lots more and 1500lbs more cost in materials.

The competition is a LOT more money. You can't find anything close to the performance for the same price in a trike or in a car so I do think the MSRP has justification.

BUT, until I drive one I can't speak to the value which will be the determining factor. That and finding garage space.

#47 ·
I think the price is a little high. You can buy a Camry for about the same money that has traction control, ABS, and stability control. The Camry has airbags, cruise, heating and air conditioning, sound system, lots more and 1500lbs more cost in materials.

The competition is a LOT more money. You can't find anything close to the performance for the same price in a trike or in a car so I do think the MSRP has justification.

BUT, until I drive one I can't speak to the value which will be the determining factor. That and finding garage space.
I've already measured of 80in. parked next to my ladies car, the best way is to back it in

#24 ·
I really hate to pass my opinion on too much about it until I have mine in my hands. To be clear, I have a titanium colored base model upgraded to SL status on order through options as I liked the titanium look but the SL features. Cost $600 more than a SL but I will end up with a set of smaller cast wheels through pull-offs.

Being a man of few words, I'd have to say......

I don't think I need any special consideration for buying a first year production...I wanted it and I'm buying one...my choice...I trust Polaris engineering based on their reputation and other Polaris products I own.

I think if your are skeptical about the purchase of a first year production model, you should keep your money in your pocket.

I don't think the SlingShot is a fine or high-end car (motorcycle) so I don't expect it to be one and therefore won't be disappointed. I have a C7 Vette now and will have a second one which is due in the 3rd week of August (both first year production models). If you or I want a fine car, plan on bringing at least 2.25 times more money than the SL for a base model "fine" car.

I think the 460 hp vette won't or can't provide what I want and plan to get from the SlingShot. It's a different tool for a different job. I am not concerned about the weight at all as three wheel vehicles are a different animal than all others and I'm confident Polaris did their homework/R&D...ever try to drive a reverse 3 wheeler on two wheels.... in a corner..... at a high rate of speed.... un-expectantly?...it exceeds exhilaration by several levels. The better the front tires grip, the more likely to happen and the SS has real front tires. Low slung and front to rear weight bias are key.

I think the Polaris engineers made the front-end so wide (6" wider than the new 'vette) as its fitting with the balance of the "motorcycle", the over-all weight and in consideration of how it will be used. If it were designed to be putted around in with a 40 horse engine, the design would have looked entirely different.

I think it is more of a "big boy" toy, play-pretty and will never be a family heirloom no more than a jet-ski will be. But that doesn't detract from the fun of it (or the jet-ski). It is what it is.

I think that the price of the SlingShot is more than fair when considering what you get and what's involved...it's not minimalistic by comparison.

I think the award-winning Ecotec is a perfect choice for the SlingShot with its smooth power delivery and track record.

I think it is a good thing the SlingShot is offered by a company that already has a dealer network in place.

I think it would have been great if the SS hit the market before summer ended.

I think based on the engine selection, I'd leave going cross-country with no concerns unlike other reverse three wheelers on the market.

I think the SlingShot will not be the answer to all my prayers but certainly will be a good answer to some specific ones.

I think the Polaris is provided with a windscreen (meant to be peered over) because if they designed it to be looked through (windshield wiper), then it then becomes an OEM provided "windshield" and has to meet different federal regulations (solid frame around perimeter, optically correct, etc.)..

I think the aftermarket can and will solve the "windshield" problem much easier than Polaris.

I don't think the SlingShot is fine looking....unique, quirky, spectacle...yes and that's okay....in the next decade, a SlingShot still won't blend into traffic like a Honda Accord does.

I think my SlingShot will be similar to me as side-by-sides are to my off-road counter-parts/co-workers.

I don't think a SlingShot will be a life altering purchase or a life-style change...as I think it will be as intended...a fun machine.

I think commuting wasn't in the engineers mind when designing it but it could certainly do it.

I think touring wasn't in the engineers mind when designing it but it could certainly do it, as well.

I think it was designed to bebop around the county and local area...in a spirited fashion on a fair weather day...but not limited to those days or area much like any other "motorcycle".

I think that those that would consider owning and driving a SlingShot are not your run-of-the-mill people. Some people are just quicker to embrace new and aren't afraid of having fun or generating a smile. You can't take live too serious. If it's not okay to have fun now...when will it be okay.

I think the SlingShot's main requirement is impressing the driver...not everyone else.

I think Polaris won't offer removable "saddlebags" but more likely a trailer hitch and a trailer (like CanAm did with the Spyder) that looks equally as weird as the SlingShot itself and will generate more revenue...if a cheap alternative is not provided, customers will go for the more expensive alternative.

I think Polaris, in general (not just for the SS), is too proud of their accessories.

I think the SlingShot has a heavy-duty power plant/drive train and would be a towing dream considering stability/traction/ABS along with the three wheel stance.

I think Polaris is making Harley Davidson very nervous with the Indian and Victory motorcycle. I suspect CanAm and similar will soon feel the effects of the SlingShot., as well.

I think the beauty of the SlingShot will be revealed in motion and not standing around in a parking lot talking about it.

Most of all, I think the rear-end is butt ugly...however, if it runs and performs like I hear it does, I could care a less what it looks like. Pardon my expression but if something so ugly doesn't perform well, it has two major strikes against it and is a non-starter. I have, what I consider, an good looking reverse three wheeler....

It is a hand-made aluminum body Morgan Three Wheeler with a 2-liter S&S X-Wedge engine and Mazda MX-5 transmission. The paint job is impeccable on every square inch (including interior, under the "hood" and trunk). It has a hand-made leather interior, hand-made floor mats....it looks like quality from one end to the other, weighs just over 1,000 lbs....and it cost $57K. That said, performance-wise, it's pretty lame...not that it won't run...it's more of it being mechanically frail and there are major weak links in the drive line as delivered. You run it hard, you pay for your sins shortly thereafter. It also came with horrible bump steer issue (which I since corrected). It is minimalistic with no stability/traction control, no ABS, no "Infotainment" center, no tilt wheel....it should have been a raw, radical animal. Also, no real storage like the SS has, poor charging system, limited lighting, no means to adjust camber or caster (I fixed that as well), no single-sided swing-arm and the fuel level indicator reveals 0% fuel remaining after burning 4 gallons out of the 11.5 gallon capacity saddle tanks. It has a cool looking V-twin (like the vintage Morgans) but it has lumpy delivery with it's non-symmetrical gait and requires a compensator (cush drive) ahead of the transmission to prevent the balance of the drive train from getting beat to pieces which is one of the Morgan's many weak links. It's does better in the parking lot discussions than out on the road. Its not a matter of "if" you break down, but "when" you break down. It's hard to really enjoy the ride/scenery when you have no confidence in your vehicle and have to keep a towing service on speed dial. Appearance does nothing to help performance or this one would have been one fine ride. I had a Spyder (and trailer) as well and it wasn't the reverse three wheeler experience I am looking for...it tach'd too high at interstate speeds to be comfortable....more like riding a off-road 4-wheeler as far as feel and had no "off" switch on the stability control....but it was worth a try to form my own opinion. Sitting in a reverse 3-wheeler is much better than sitting on a reverse three wheeler. I kept the Morgan as with time and even more money (as the warranty was one more broken promise) and a lot of wrenching, it can be fixed...and I still think it's cool....unique, quirky and a spectacle....I'd like to add "reliable" to that list but don't see it in the immediate cards as it won't be an easy fix. If Morgan was state-side, I would have joyfully sued them by now but I suspect I would have to take a number and get in line. There are about 1,100 of these in the world with a fairly small percentage in the States and about a dozen dealerships here adding to the problem.

I have a good feeling about the SlingShot...third time's the charm. I'm in it for the fun factor and nothing else. If it does what I think it will, it will deserve a valuable spot in my shop permanently...if not, I'll trade it in on another Indian. Some times, you just have to try something to really know for sure. I can tolerate styling conflicts if the mechanical end is in order. I have the utmost confidence in Polaris (& a proven GM design) and will go into this with an open mind.

That's really all I've got to say about it for now.

Z

#28 ·
I think the Polaris engineers made the front-end so wide (6" wider than the new 'vette) as its fitting with the balance of the "motorcycle", the over-all weight and in consideration of how it will be used. If it were designed to be putted around in with a 40 horse engine, the design would have looked entirely different.
There are several good reasons for wide track on a 3 wheeler, only one of which is related to horsepower:

1) Minimizes lateral weight transfer during cornering, so higher g's until the onset of inside wheel lifting.

2) Decreases body roll during cornering (1.2X wider track decreases roll by 1.44X); this gives tighter handling and less camber change which helps cornering power as well as getting power from the rear wheel to the road.

3) Minimizes weight difference between left and right wheels when there's only one person aboard.

#27 ·
1) the first thing I noticed was the storage problem. maybe a couple of luggage racks mounted on the rear deck behind each seat will help this problem.
2) my GPS has a 4.3 viewing screen, I would not want that to be my main screen. I'm curious to see the over all size of the opening and put in a 6 or 7in. radio with rear connections for inputs. I don't care to use blue tooth alone.
3) base color screams wrap me. the red interior and body is so much more vibrant , a white and black would be a good base model color.
4) with 5" clearance , I think the X wing is going to catch a lot of driveways and intersections .
ps. I've already started cleaning that side of the garage. it's going to take awhile to complete that task...:)

#29 ·
I drove the Slingshot(base model) at the Polaris Dealer meeting last week, and as an avid sports car fanatic, I personally own a 2005 Lotus Elise, an 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X, and a 1986 Mercedes 190e cosworth that I am doing some major suspension work to for the track, and also a 2010 SRT8 dodge challenger, which weighs as much as almost 3 slingshots, but actually handles well... so that one we won't talk about much! What didn't I like? Suspension a tad too soft, brakes needed more bite.

So that being said, I think people need to compare this with cars and not motorcycles, just because Slingshot will be registered as one, doesn't really mean it will be viewed as one. T-rex is a great concept, but it is also dated, overpriced, and short on technology. If you think about it, there's really nothing special about a T-rex, It's a simple design, too low to the ground, no stability or traction or yaw control, no ABS, and it looks like it came out of a 1980's sci-fi movie! Does anyone agree with me?

Not trying to bash or hate on T-rex here, but sorry, Polaris is kicking your a** right now with Slingshot, in looks, technology, price, and maybe even if the performance is not exactly on par with it, so what?, a few tweaks and some serious suspension on a slingshot with a little more HP will put Slingshot in a league that will be untouchable by T-rex.

Companies that make aftermarket goodies for cars are literally going to go to TOWN with mods for Slingshot. For $10k you could probably buy a supercharger/turbo kit, upgrade the brakes, and some stiff suspension, not to mention some sticky Yokohama R-compound tires and you will have an absolute animal....long story short for $30K you'll have something that will still cost half the price of a T-rex and you'll need to spend another $30k+ on your T-rex just to keep up, period. I'm going to be heavily modding my Slingshot when it arrives and am very excited to see what others will release too.

As for colors, agreed, there should be more, but from my experience selling Polaris for the past 6 years, color variety has never been their priority when they bring a new product to market, but rest assured, I can confidently speculate there will most likely be at least 2 or more new colors in the 2nd and 3rd model years. And so far the response has been so overwhelming on Slingshot that I don't think there will be too many bad things that can be said about it. People need to remember that Polaris has risen to #1 in powersports worldwide because they listen to their customers and make changes accordingly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.