Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 330 Posts

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am certain Polaris will keep a keen eye on this forum as time marches on so this would be an excellent place to tell them what may have missed the mark. More power? Lower price? Matching helmets?

For me, it was love at first sight. But now that we have woken up in the same bed together the morning after (in the harsh sunlight) there are a few things I hope they work on in the future:
1. The 3/4 front view is a bit off. Someone described it as looking like those motorized 3 wheel chairs on the market and I would tend to agree. I am already contemplating changes to fix this so might be correctable.
2. More colors
3. A stripper model (you know what I mean)
4. Rear view camera for a mirror. Not sure if the one it has will be able to perform this function (it may only be for backing up) but the 4.3" screen is a little small for glancing while driving.

If you were the lead Slingshot engineer for a day, what would you tell your team to work on?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can do without wipers. The windshield is plastic and the required increase of size and material density (glass) would increase the weight toward car levels. When I was poor in college I got by without wipers by keeping rainx applied without a problem.

I am interested in the 2016s. My concern is a price increase due to unanticipated demand for 2015s. If it got north of 25k, it would be a nogo. I think they will put the momentum at risk by a significant increase.

Other than that, I am pretty happy by what I see. They could decrease weight as an improvement if they need one. A third edition with carbon fiber body for 30k would probably sell well.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am certain Polaris will keep a keen eye on this forum as time marches on so this would be an excellent place to tell them what may have missed the mark. More power? Lower price? Matching helmets?

For me, it was love at first sight. But now that we have woken up in the same bed together the morning after (in the harsh sunlight) there are a few things I hope they work on in the future:
1. The 3/4 front view is a bit off. Someone described it as looking like those motorized 3 wheel chairs on the market and I would tend to agree. I am already contemplating changes to fix this so might be correctable.
2. More colors
3. A stripper model (you know what I mean)
4. Rear view camera for a mirror. Not sure if the one it has will be able to perform this function (it may only be for backing up) but the 4.3" screen is a little small for glancing while driving.

If you were the lead Slingshot engineer for a day, what would you tell your team to work on?
I agree with number 1. seems a panel should be there or something, looks a hair incomplete

·
Registered
702 Posts
The 3/4 front view is a bit off. Someone described it as looking like those motorized 3 wheel chairs on the market and I would tend to agree.
Sounds like what I said, but it's the 3/4 rear view.

The whole area around the rear wheel looks unfinished, as does area between the X-wings (which is the coolest part of the design and the saving grace I think) behind the front wheels.

On balance though the whole thing works; somehow I find myself overlooking the details.

We'll see if that holds over time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The stereo system needs a bigger screen and for the price gps and satellite ready for that amount of money for the system. 2199.00

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wouldn't go too overboard here. There were probably weight savings and cost considerations. I'm sure every part of the design was looked at with a fine tooth comb. This thing is completely outside the box. Until something like it comes out from a major player, we don't have a good baseline. If you use the T-Rex as baseline, the SS makes the T-Rex look like a clown car. If y'all are concerned about the back end, put a fatter tire back there and wait for the saddle bags which will no doubt come out and add some detail in the large undecorated area.

·
Registered
702 Posts
There were probably weight savings and cost considerations.
This thing weighs as much as two heavy motorcycles or half a dozen light ones.

My guess is that a big reason they went with a car engine is so that didn't have to spend the engineering time to design in lightness.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think if they did the motorcycle engine, we would be back at the T-rex-style design. Lightweight, cheap, strong...pick two. Glad they picked cheap (relatively) and strong, otherwise they could have just done a cost-reduced version of T-Rex. If that were the case, I don't think the response would be as big as what we are seeing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Actually I'm on board with their choice.

I prefer a torquey lower revving big engine to a shreiking smaller one, and I wager the fuel economy will be better; 500-lb sport bikes mostly get mid-30's mpg, and I'm sure a bike engine would have raised the price.

My only concern is that the steering isn't as light and direct as I'm hoping for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I mentioned in another thread that I thought the steering wheel looks a bit cheap and plasticky. Maybe because I've only seen pictures of the cockpit on line, I don't have a full appreciation, but the overall cockpit leaves me a bit underwhelmed and I can't quite put my finger on what it is I don't like. I don't know if it is all the angles and such and I do own a Spyder so unusual design is not a dis qualifier. I'm thinking the cockpit should look a bit more refined or "Vette-like"?

Oh, and electronics. More and better. Nav, sat radio, larger screen, digital and analog gauges, etc. Can't go wrong with something that glows or makes a whirring sound.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree with number 1. seems a panel should be there or something, looks a hair incomplete
I am going to remove the panels that wrap around and become arm rests. It will open the cockpit more and potentially make it look better (maybe not). I think the support structure for the arm rest piece can be unbolted from the frame. Maybe just put a small bit of padding there instead. Might look a little more Ariel Atom and drop some weight as well.

Remember any little weight savings is magnified on a light car like this.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I mentioned in another thread that I thought the steering wheel looks a bit cheap and plasticky. Maybe because I've only seen pictures of the cockpit on line, I don't have a full appreciation, but the overall cockpit leaves me a bit underwhelmed and I can't quite put my finger on what it is I don't like. I don't know if it is all the angles and such and I do own a Spyder so unusual design is not a dis qualifier. I'm thinking the cockpit should look a bit more refined or "Vette-like"?

Oh, and electronics. More and better. Nav, sat radio, larger screen, digital and analog gauges, etc. Can't go wrong with something that glows or makes a whirring sound.
I think you are on track that it is the fit and finish. I can't ding it as much since its only a $20k car..er...motorcycle and most $20k cars suck in this department too. It is a bit Tupperware clashing with Rubbermaid in there but is also has to be waterproof. I think it is in line with what boats have to offer so I guess I can look past it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Turbo option, with thicker/stickier rear rubber so we can get the extra HP to the ground.

A reinforced cockpit for added safety in a collision and a removeable hard or cloth top accessory option.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also wish they had a bit bigger wheel/tire on the back. I am concerned a swingarm change will be needed for anything more than 20x10.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I guess I would second most of what was said here with the understanding that Polaris is listening/lurking and that more voices they hear mean more interest. I would also like to see two hard side removable bags for long distance travel, but with the option to easily remove them. Some type of roll bar could be nice if it was designed to look wicked like the SS. Maybe some incentive for all first model purchasers to act as a test market/study group to offer suggestions to make the SS better after one has put it through the paces. Think about it. We are asked/enticed to purchase a new class of a product never before seen. We are the guinea pigs spending our hard earned money on little snippets of advertising hype etc, etc, etc. So what I am proposing is that since we took a chance with Polaris and we will be their good will ambassadors, that maybe they would give a $5,000 credit towards the purchase of the next generation SS (plus trade-in allowance). They would get the first generation back to headquarters to ripe apart and reassess its strengths and weaknesses after being driven for a couple of years. I believe something like that would be fair to all of us who blindly put faith in there engineering.
I am so looking forward to actually picking mine up in Oct. I hope there will be no delays or dealer tricks. I spend hours watching some of the you-tube videos of the cycle magazines/press where they take the SS through its paces and the camera is mounted on top over their heads looking down the road. It looks like it can scream and will be a thrill a minute. So I guess until we actually see them, test them, most suggestions are mute.

1 - 20 of 330 Posts