Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
I so look forward to having fix my Slingshot if it ever becomes legal in Maryland. :(

Maybe I am weird, but i fully expect something like this to have its issues.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Maybe I am weird, but i fully expect something like this to have its issues.
There's a good number of people here who used an Internet search before buying and decided the fun outweighed the known and potential problems. Not all Slingshots have issues (even if the owners are hard on them), and some that are babied have a bunch of serious ones anyway. I know of several people who unloaded their Slingshot because it was more time and money in wrenching to keep it running than they wanted, but overall Polaris has honored the warranty and made things right, and most people seem to understand a new type of vehicle will be somewhat problematic as the unexpected developments are discovered.

I'm completely surprised that a company which doesn't make street vehicles came up with a completely new design that's incredibly attractive, mechanically sound (mostly--that jackshaft is a failure in progress), meets regulations (credit to Polaris for getting it titled as a motorcycle to avoid automotive safety requirements and meeting as many car requirements ((EPA, seatbelt, stability & traction control, etc.)) as possible to make it all happen), has incredible power and engine/primary transmission reliability, and is all-around fun. There was one, yes one day I went out and didn't have someone comment, every other day has been a sea of compliments (due Polaris, of course). Not sure who the engineers are who made it happen, but as an engineer I'd be proud were I one of them, they did an incredible job.

·
Registered
891 Posts
There's a good number of people here who used an Internet search before buying and decided the fun outweighed the known and potential problems. Not all Slingshots have issues (even if the owners are hard on them), and some that are babied have a bunch of serious ones anyway. I know of several people who unloaded their Slingshot because it was more time and money in wrenching to keep it running than they wanted, but overall Polaris has honored the warranty and made things right, and most people seem to understand a new type of vehicle will be somewhat problematic as the unexpected developments are discovered.

I'm completely surprised that a company which doesn't make street vehicles came up with a completely new design that's incredibly attractive, mechanically sound (mostly--that jackshaft is a failure in progress), meets regulations (credit to Polaris for getting it titled as a motorcycle to avoid automotive safety requirements and meeting as many car requirements ((EPA, seatbelt, stability & traction control, etc.)) as possible to make it all happen), has incredible power and engine/primary transmission reliability, and is all-around fun. There was one, yes one day I went out and didn't have someone comment, every other day has been a sea of compliments (due Polaris, of course). Not sure who the engineers are who made it happen, but as an engineer I'd be proud were I one of them, they did an incredible job.

Amen

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have several issues with mine as well but expected to have some going in. First year of production it's to be expected and after riding in one I'm more than willing to go through the motions. Polaris has been nothing but good and I have nothing but good to say about the ride!

·
Registered
88 Posts
NOT ENOUGH. ONLY A COUPLE THOUSAND BUT WITH THE VI EXHAUST AND VI COLD AIR INTAKE THERE ARE NO UNPLEASANT SOUNDS OR SMELLS. NO RADIO TO LISTEN TO, ONLY MOTHER NATURE AND MY TOY. TO MANY PUSSYS ON HERE. BUT I CAN SAY THAT, BECAUSE I WILL PROBABLY NEVER DIRVE MINE OVER A COUPLE HUNDRED MILES FROM HOME MAKING ME ONE. BOUGHT A TRAILER SO I CAN HAVE FUN IN OTHER AREAS.

·
Registered
555 Posts
DENNIS MIGHT BE AN OLD COBOL PROGRAMMER. EVERYTHING WAS IN CAPS. ALL CAPS SUGGESTING SHOUTING IS SOMETHING NEW IN THE LAST 30 YEARS. SLACK HIM.

Sent from my brain using an iPad

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes my work computer does everything in caps. My sales assistant is on vacation this week so I am doing all of the data entry. Do not know why the computer is set up that way but I am happier not trying to understand it, just use it. When I go on line (when I should be working) I am to lazy to take it off of caps. I do remember now by daughter saying something to me once about that. I just wish everyone would just share what they do to their Slingshot to fit there needs and not keep saying Polaris did it wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
I wish I could fart rainbows and ride unicorns, but that ain't happenin'. I can't even crap a final drive, which is pretty much crap anyway. (laughing)

We'll help find solutions and point Polaris toward the problems, some people whine, but so does the jackshaft.... (laughing)

Glad yours is running well Dennis, we're working toward that.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
overall Polaris has honored the warranty and made things right, and most people seem to understand a new type of vehicle will be somewhat problematic as the unexpected developments are discovered.
I agree with you except for Polaris honoring the warranty "overall." Several people could not (and still cannot) get their ECU problems, painted panels, gauge faces, alignments and more fixed correctly, or fixed at all under warranty. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "pussy" or a hater. I'll never give up my Slingshot. I love it to death! :D I don't expect it (or anything else) to be perfect. I know it'll have issues to be expected, but I don't think anyone who's suffered actual problems would disagree that some things could have been better, even for the first time out. There should be nothing wrong with stating the facts. I can empathize with both sides.

Easy for those who've never had problems to say Quit your bitching. Which is also difficult to hear if you're one of those people who have had legitimate problems. If I have problems, I'm going to share it so that everyone knows. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
I agree with you except for Polaris honoring the warranty "overall." Several people could not (and still cannot) get their ECU problems, painted panels, gauge faces, alignments and more fixed correctly, or fixed at all under warranty. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "pussy" or a hater. I'll never give up my Slingshot. I love it to death! :D I don't expect it (or anything else) to be perfect. I know it'll have issues to be expected, but I don't think anyone who's suffered actual problems would disagree that some things could have been better, even for the first time out. There should be nothing wrong with stating the facts. I can empathize with both sides.

Easy for those who've never had problems to say Quit your bitching. Which is also difficult to hear if you're one of those people who have had legitimate problems. If I have problems, I'm going to share it so that everyone knows. :)
It would be "highly unusual" for Polaris to cover [body panels, hood pads, ECU tune issues, etc.] at one dealer consistently, but not another dealer, therefore, me thinks it's the dealer. Perhaps see: Warranty Issues 101

As far as "pussies" go, it's probably because so many people here shave. They get sucked in by this sh*t:

when they really could be living this sh*t:

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
You may find it highly unusual, but it IS happening. I've had the experience very early on with the customer service department without going through the dealer. The customer service department denied my request and gave me bad information. Then later, the "Resolutions Department" gave me opposite information and helped me out a little better. One hand doesn't talk to the other and they're seemingly disorganized. Getting approved or denied varies greatly based on who you talk to the day you call. The luck of the draw. I'm not saying the dealers don't own some of the blame. They do, but so does Polaris. If they'd issue a service bulletin for the ECU, we wouldn't have to plead our case to the dealers in the first place. It's a bit ridiculous that we should even have to do that.

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
It would be "highly unusual" for Polaris to cover [body panels, hood pads, ECU tune issues, etc.] at one dealer consistently, but not another dealer, therefore, me thinks it's the dealer. Perhaps see: Warranty Issues 101

As far as "pussies" go, it's probably because so many people here shave. They get sucked in by this sh*t:

when they really could be living this sh*t:
Dude......Those videos were great!!! Lol...:D:hilarious:

121 - 140 of 146 Posts