Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
I may not be right but I can sound like it
4,534 Posts
Kenny - glad you dodged a bullet but it could have been worse!! This is a much more dangerous water hazard:
image.jpg

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Did it again. On 95 and hydroplaned. Ran off the road and almost hit a tree. View attachment 21962 View attachment 21963
I see you have taken it upon yourself to prove the SS rollover video wrong. ;)

What happens when you are losing control? Deep lines of water? Is the traction / stability control come on right away? This all seems very odd to me...

Glad to hear your are ok with this happening twice now. @kenny_h

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
2,221 Posts
Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
822 Posts
My rear tire is ready for some new tread & It is a lot sliperyer than when new. Went through half a dozen showers today & had be careful. My new tire will have 10/32" tread and that should help a lot with the hydroplaning issue. My wife & I tried out our new yellow tinted goggles also, and vision is perfect in the rain. Between showers, just stick your head out the side of the windshield to blow off all the rain drops.:)

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Yeah...but didn't expect it to rain til later in the day.
Kenny, I know you said you already had a new tire for it, but I ordered you one that should have better traction for you. Just don't try any dyno pulls with it or Bill will be pissed at all the sparks in his shop.

studdedtire.jpg

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
I just wanted to bump this thread for anyone new to the ss, and the rainy season is near.
Good Bump Shack, I unfortunately know first hand now that if you ride in heavy rain you are tempting fate. I was caught in very heavy rain on the way home from SSITS last year. I have Nitto 555's. No slippage at all. I assumed like most (another assumtion) that those that spun out were just being too aggressive, bumped the gas or brake at the wrong moment. On Saturday I realized that I was dead wrong in that assumption. I don't know if being cold out was the difference, but I spun out.

It was very heavy snow, the road had about an inch of water/slush on it. I was cruising at 55 mph on a straight stretch of road. Then without warning the Sling, as if on a lazy susan, slowly started to rotate counter clockwise. The back did not come out first, it was not a swift spin out. I continued to slowly spin, with brake tapping and wheel repositioning having zero impact on the rotation. I completed 1.5 rotations as I helplessly drifted from the slow lane to the inside shoulder wall. The only swift or violet part was hitting the wall. It was unlike any spin out I've been in or heard of before. Even on black ice a cars rear comes out first. And it's always swift and panic insueing. This was an eerily slow rotation. Have I expressed how slowly it rotated? I had time to think "what the heck is this", lift my foot off the gas, very slightly turn wheel to the right, think "really, this is happening", all before my left front reached 55 after the hour. That slow.

My advice is don't ride in heavy rain when there is considerable water on the road. The time, headache and money at minimum, wasted after an accident is much more of a price to pay than the penalty for waiting out a storm.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Good Bump Shack, I unfortunately know first hand now that if you ride in heavy rain you are tempting fate. I was caught in very heavy rain on the way home from SSITS last year. I have Nitto 555's. No slippage at all. I assumed like most (another assumtion) that those that spun out were just being too aggressive, bumped the gas or brake at the wrong moment. On Saturday I realized that I was dead wrong in that assumption. I don't know if being cold out was the difference, but I spun out.

It was very heavy snow, the road had about an inch of water/slush on it. I was cruising at 55 mph on a straight stretch of road. Then without warning the Sling, as if on a lazy susan, slowly started to rotate counter clockwise. The back did not come out first, it was not a swift spin out. I continued to slowly spin, with brake tapping and wheel repositioning having zero impact on the rotation. I completed 1.5 rotations as I helplessly drifted from the slow lane to the inside shoulder wall. The only swift or violet part was hitting the wall. It was unlike any spin out I've been in or heard of before. Even on black ice a cars rear comes out first. And it's always swift and panic insueing. This was an eerily slow rotation. Have I expressed how slowly it rotated? I had time to think "what the heck is this", lift my foot off the gas, very slightly turn wheel to the right, think "really, this is happening", all before my left front reached 55 after the hour. That slow.

My advice is don't ride in heavy rain when there is considerable water on the road. The time, headache and money at minimum, wasted after an accident is much more of a price to pay than the penalty for waiting out a storm.
Many people haven't driven race cars in wet conditions and aren't aware of aquaplaning. In short, the Slingshot has wide tires and little weight, so in dry conditions it grips like crazy (even on the slick stock tires) and is very manageable. In wet conditions it's gambling without payout, like playing bar poker where if you lose the hand you drink, but if you win you buy for everyone.

·
Welcome to the Grey Bar Bed and Breakfast.
694 Posts
Another factor not helping the Slingshot is that a lot of oil is located in the center of the road from leaky oil pans, etc. When it rains, it really makes the road "slippy" as all get out, right where the rear tire is turning.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts