Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered the Welter Dual exhaust by phone from Cycle Springs (Slingshot Jimmy) on 12/29/2016 and specifically asked for the cat back, non-turbo. Received the order and I will have to admit that I did not check it which is my mistake. Spring has sprung. Took the kit and the Sling to the custom bike builder (in 48 degree, misty weather) who was installing it this past weekend along with the 1320 Alpha shorty header I had also ordered from Cycle Springs and after installing the 1320 and tearing off the factory exhaust the guy calls me to let me know that there is no cat back pipe included in the kit only the cat delete option. He has the cat delete package. Checked with Cycle Springs and they tell me all their kits come with both options; cat back and cat delete. Not so according to Jeff Welter who I called the next day. He tells me that the package includes the cat delete only unless specified cat back and the cat back pipe is included and the cat delete pipe is not. He said he stopped shipping both because 99% were installing the race set up (cat delete).. Total screw up. I tell the installer to go ahead and install the duals with the cat delete as the OEM exhaust was gone and it wouldn't do any good to re-install it and try to straighten this out. This was after Cycle Springs called him to confirm that there was no cat back pipe included. Talked with Mr. Welter and he offered me the cat back pipe for an additional fee but since it would take another 2 or more hours to tear the system back apart to installed the pipe I wanted in the first place I tell Mr. Welter that I will pass for now but that I may have to take him up on it in the future if the Slingshot is ever subject to emissions as it will not pass with the race set-up. I hear nothing back from Cycle Springs at this point who were going to make sure I got what I needed. Please be careful if you order the Welter dual exhaust system from Cycle Springs. If you do this through their website there is no option for car back or cat delete. They list just one kit. If you do it by phone they are (or maybe were now) under the mistaken understanding that it came with both options....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for keeping us informed.
I certainly wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through this. Another $75.00 for the cat back pipe and another minimum estimated 2 hours at $80.00 per hour to correct what should have been done in the first place. Best thing is - no call from Slingshotonly who were going to "make this right".. I guess it is about as right as it going to get. Hopefully Delaware won't reclassify the Sling where I need to pass emissions testing. But somehow I think it's going to happen sooner rather than later. Best part is I just now checked Slingshotonly's website and they are still listing no options for cat back or cat delete.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I certainly wouldn't want anyone else to have to go through this. Another $75.00 for the cat back pipe and another minimum estimated 2 hours at $80.00 per hour to correct what should have been done in the first place. Best thing is - no call from Slingshotonly who were going to "make this right".. I guess it is about as right as it going to get. Hopefully Delaware won't reclassify the Sling where I need to pass emissions testing. But somehow I think it's going to happen sooner rather than later. Best part is I just now checked Slingshotonly's website and they are still listing no options for cat back or cat delete.
Just keep your stock pipe/cat around in case.

I doubt you will see something like this happen. If it would, it would likely be in California where the tree hugging politicians run rampant.

There has been talk in Colorado of doing away with emissions inspections altogether as most vehicles on the road now run so clean that most believe it is just a ripoff.

But as far as reclassification - what would they reclassify it to? The only thing left is an automobile and they can't do that. No airbags, no collision tests, etc..

So they would have to change the laws on motorcycles and require emissions tests on them. Not going to happen. The testing facilities have no infrastructure to dyno motorcycles and doing so would cost an arm and a leg. There is just no impetus to change the rules on motorcycles for the relatively small impact they have on air quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts