Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I've been looking for a way to add a rear view camera and monitor that are both at least water-resistant, if not waterproof. Found these on eBay - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Motorcycle Rear View Camera System&_sacat=0. These are the lowest cost units I've seen. Both units support a single input. Pyle makes a waterproof 7" monitor that supports multiple inputs. MSRP is over $300, but I've seen it for less than $200. I like the idea of multiple inputs so that I can also have a forward looking camera for use when parking to help protect the lower wings from curbs, etc.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I've been looking for a way to add a rear view camera and monitor that are both at least water-resistant, if not waterproof. Found these on eBay - http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=Motorcycle Rear View Camera System&_sacat=0. These are the lowest cost units I've seen. Both units support a single input. Pyle makes a waterproof 7" monitor that supports multiple inputs. MSRP is over $300, but I've seen it for less than $200. I like the idea of multiple inputs so that I can also have a forward looking camera for use when parking to help protect the lower wings from curbs, etc.
I wonder if the rear camera would be compatible to adapt to that setup. The downside of using the rear camera from this kit is that it won't fit in the trim like the stock Polaris camera.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
The same vendor offers just the water resistant monitor, so it would be possible to use an alternative camera that, for example, simply requires a hole in the plastic so it can fit flush. Ideally, I would prefer a waterproof, multi-input display such as the Pyle, but in a smaller size that could be more easily installed w/o being as intrusive. There are lots of cameras out there that have brackets that should easily fit just about any installation situation.
Looking at the pictures that sloride posted of the Slingshot dash, it doesn't look like the opening will accommodate a 1DIN (approximately 2" x 7" plus a small clearance factor) w/o modification. Depending on how hard it is to modify the opening, there are several marine-grade 1DIN stereo radios w/3-3.5" displays, some w/ dual camera inputs.
While not camera-compatible, the Clarion CMS2, the Milennia PRV16 and the Jensen MS30 are all either water resistant or waterproof and appear to require just a single 3" or so hole for mounting, although specific models may also require a main unit to be hidden somewhere else.
This would all be so much easier if Polaris had designed the dash with a standard DIN opening!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If these displays are flat and mount flush with the cubby hole in the base model, you can attach the screen on a hinge and flip it up to gain access to the cubby.

The downside is, you have to somehow manage the wires poking out and the increased chance of theft if the entire unit can't be completely locked down. It might be neat to do, but I haven't figured out a practical way to mod it.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I had assumed the cubby would be filled/covered by whatever electronics I install. I might use a waterproof flip cover of some type if I can get a 1DIN unit to fit and it isn't waterproof.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Here's a shot of the SL display which I hadn't seen in person. The buttons have kind of a rubbery feel to them
IMG_0660.jpg

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Bingo, there's that new switch. It appears that it is a light color changer for the lighting kit. However, it's strange there's no mention of the color change option in the description for the kit...

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Light kit
There is a white/blue switch.
Light Kit 2.jpg

Which alternates white/blue lights.

Light Kit 1.jpg

description from the Slingshot catalog:

"Control switch provides driver with choice of three settings: blue lighting while vehicle is in use; white lighting when vehicle is stationary; & off Lighting connects to vehicle’s electrical system & has a low-amperage draw"
2880549_2.png

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Chris or Kip,

Can you guys let me know the MSRP on the below parts for the backup camera components off of the SL?

5451511MOUNT, BACKUP CAMERA

4015018CAMERA, BACKUP

I like the idea of using these factory camera parts and using the below screen. My plan would be to make a faceplate to cover to little dash storage area hole and mount the monitor and stereo controller there. Then I would run everything off of my phone for the stereo and have the video monitor on a on and off switch so that I can use it all the time while driving if I wanted to.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Can you guys let me know the MSRP on the below parts for the backup camera components off of the SL?
Here you go:

Part #5451511 (MOUNT-BACKUP CAMERA), $15.99
Part #4015018 (CAMERA-BACKUP), $159.99

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Here you go:

Part #5451511 (MOUNT-BACKUP CAMERA), $15.99
Part #4015018 (CAMERA-BACKUP), $159.99
Wow.... $160. :bored: Might have to re-think that. I doubt it is anything too unique! :cool:

Thanks Kip!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Garmin makes a gps unit with a wireless backup camera, add a waterproof case, gps and backup camera around $400.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yea, thats a $10 lighting kit.
I think I will wait for FloridaJoe to come out with his kit and get multi-color lights that change, flash, dance to the music "boogie lights", slow fade and everything else.
Im sure he can do better than this, LOL

·
Registered
210 Posts
Light kit
There is a white/blue switch.
View attachment 1497

Which alternates white/blue lights.

View attachment 1498

description from the Slingshot catalog:

"Control switch provides driver with choice of three settings: blue lighting while vehicle is in use; white lighting when vehicle is stationary; & off Lighting connects to vehicle’s electrical system & has a low-amperage draw"
View attachment 1499
Does anyone know the cut out size for this rocker switch Or ...can anyone measure this rocker switch?

·
Registered
210 Posts
please explain I'm French.....The size of the switch that comes with the kit?
Yes, I am looking at several better priced rocker switches, but need to know the cut out size for the switch or the measurement of the switch body (part that goes into the cut out).

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
We need to determine the size of this LED Rocker switch mounting hole.

A standard size rocker switch has a mounting hole of 1.41"(36mm) x .86"(22mm).

If the switch that comes with the LED kit has that same hole size, we will be able to use any standard size switch.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts