Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
It's easier to just slap a sticker on a helmet than it is to actually require the helmet be tested to meet standards before a sticker is issued. Deregulation does have some problems. Boeing basically self-certified the 737 Max, a good example of what can go wrong w/o decent regulation.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Why is it that we have become a society where we obviously have become so lazy, stupid, and irresponsible where we have to fully depend on the Government to insure our safety, are we no longer capable of taking responsibility for ourselves? Here is a site in which anybody can check for themselves almost anything vehicular related to see if it meets specifications, like helmets! With such information so readily available, if anybody today purchases a helmet that does not meet specification, then they must accept partial blame.

Boeing basically self-certified the 737 Max, a good example of what can go wrong w/o decent regulation.
So, Boeing after over a century of manufacturing safe, top of the line, edge of technology, aircraft all of a sudden decided to take shortcuts with the 737 Max? I am sorry, but I am not that quick to condemn! :mad:

Bill

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Most engineers try to do all they can to ensure they design & manufacture a product that is as safe as possible, but they do face pressure from folks higher up the chain who look to reduce costs, sometimes cutting things closer than the engineers would prefer. There have been internal emails leaked from Boeing that revealed many of the engineers did not have a lot of faith in management decisions they felt increased risks.
Personally, I believe that folks making the decisions felt they were balancing costs and risks responsibly and safely, but cost reductions can be a significant factor in manufacturing. Ford, for example, released an automatic transmission that internal docs have now shown they knew was not reliable, but someone made the decision they had already spent too much money on design and they had to recover their investment, hoping the warranty costs would be low enough to still make a profit. Ford maintained for several years that a software fix would alleviate the transmission problems, but the software did not fix the problems. The unfortunate end result was a lot of upset customers who will probably never buy another Ford product.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Organ donor? I guess if you dont know how to drive properly and cant think for yourself you should wear a helmet and maybe a suit of armor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Why is it that we have become a society where we obviously have become so lazy, stupid, and irresponsible where we have to fully depend on the Government to insure our safety, are we no longer capable of taking responsibility for ourselves? Here is a site in which anybody can check for themselves almost anything vehicular related to see if it meets specifications, like helmets! With such information so readily available, if anybody today purchases a helmet that does not meet specification, then they must accept partial blame.

So, Boeing after over a century of manufacturing safe, top of the line, edge of technology, aircraft all of a sudden decided to take shortcuts with the 737 Max? I am sorry, but I am not that quick to condemn! :mad:

Bill
Sorry to tell everyone, BOEING is not free from defective aircraft parts or producing the safest aircraft. Suggest you research the history of the B-17. Safety standards for helmets in US and Canada are different. WHY? But let's be sure to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Wearing a helmet is mandatory in some states but not others. I spent 24 years in the military and I had a "steel pot" that I wore and was glad I had one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You don't need a helmet in most states. Even if a cop says you do. I went to court, made my arguements, and won. A helmeted head IN CONJUNCTION with a restraint device is MORE LIKELY to result in death in a collision. See American Journal of Neurosurgery. I'm not a Dr. I AM a lawyer.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Organ donor? I guess if you dont know how to drive properly and cant think for yourself you should wear a helmet and maybe a suit of armor.
You gotta come up with a better reason. Lots of T-Boners were driving properly and rightfully thinking to themselves that the person in the other vehicle turning left in front of them was going to wait until they passed since they had the right-of-way. Ooops, NOT!

How about just not liking to wear a helmet and willing to take your chances.
I have to admit I don't get that "freedom" feeling like others claim when I don't wear a helmet. I never like wearing a helmet, it's the most uncomfortable driving accessory. Hot days are really miserable. It's the reason people in convertibles wear hats instead of helmets. ( BTW I wear a military style hat with a short brim in my Sling.)

However, sometimes I do feel risk outweighs reward and do wear a half helmet in the Sling.

However, I did suffer a tramatic brain injury when the scaffolding I was on collapsed and you guessed it, I was not wearing my helmet.

I willing to bet that most people who say they always wear a helmet have cheated at least once. Didn't it feel good?.:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
You don't need a helmet in most states. Even if a cop says you do. I went to court, made my arguements, and won. A helmeted head IN CONJUNCTION with a restraint device is MORE LIKELY to result in death in a collision. See American Journal of Neurosurgery. I'm not a Dr. I AM a lawyer.
A helmet does not prevent accidents. It can reduce the possibility of severe head injuries. If you are an attorney, you should know that the citation will show the violation code. Did the cop appear in court? probably not but if he /she did, hopefully you were able educate him/she. And let us all know your lottery ticket numbers when you get them. I AM a rider of over 50 years and have never been ticketed for NO HELMET because I am always aware of the laws in the state(s) I ride.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I always wear a full face helmet... I dont know if offers more or less protection, but I do know that it lets me hear my GPS giving me directions without distractions and it lets me answer the phone and hold reasonable converstions while driving cross country. Ain't bluetooth systems grand! To each his/her own :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If a person doesn't wear a helmet in conjunction with a restraint device because they are afraid they are more likely to die in a collision due to a CVJ injury, I would say that wearing a HANS device with their seat belt is the a better safety solution. Since requirements mandating the use of head and neck support devices were put in place in 2001, there have been no reported fatalities due to CVJ injuries in high-speed auto racing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If a person doesn't wear a helmet in conjunction with a restraint device because they are afraid they are more likely to die in a collision due to a CVJ injury, I would say that wearing a HANS device with their seat belt is the a better safety solution. Since requirements mandating the use of head and neck support devices were put in place in 2001, there have been no reported fatalities due to CVJ injuries in high-speed auto racing.
Now, you're entering facts into the discussion. That's just going to rile folks up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I seam to remember a similar “what if” arguments against the required use of automobile seat belts years ago. No one can now argue against the seatbelt rule considering the overwhelming number of lives save against those lost using the safety device. The difference we have now is a good and necessary rule for riding a “two wheeler” being applied to SS riders because of the motorcycle designation. Clearly wearing a helmet while restrained may result in a CVJ type injury as proven by automobile racing. But I wonder how many lives were saved by wearing helmets during a racing wreck. BikeGuyRob hit the nail on the head with the suggestion for using another level of protection for hazards caused by the extra helmet weight if you have this concern. Having personally experiencing the benefit a helmet provides while riding on two wheels, I am good with, and recommend, a helmet while riding on three. I currently use a 3/4 Bell and plan to move into one of the proven ultralight helmets after saving enough pennies to get one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts