Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
How come whenever I want to post up, a graph of pics come up and I have to pick the ones that have the same items in each pic? Like traffic lights, school buses, ………..
It's kind of unpleasant.
But if it's here to combat the Chinese spammers, I get it.

·
Super Moderator
2,889 Posts
I haven't seen that captcha yet. What kind of stuff are you posting @ConnMan ???

@WI_Hedgehog is it possible that once a username has been identified as a non-spammer, that account can be flagged as 'friendly' and not be subject to further tests?
Sometimes a link or conversation will contain a suspect set of terms, like some of the fake health suppliment ads, and that generates a check to see if the account was hacked. If the CAPTCHA test is passed and it's really suspicious, it will go into a holding queue for staff to look at and approve (or take other action). Such spam attempts have happened multiple times hourly, so it's important there's some sort of automated check so your posts are approved instantly--you're basically approving your own posts--pretty cool!

There is other activity that could signal your account is hacked--for instance, if you almost always post from home in England and suddenly you're posting from deep inside Estonia, there might be an issue*. That's why even if your account is valid and you're a super-awesome person, if suddenly something looks quirky, the system looks into it.

(In fact, the language I used in this post caused it to CAPTCHA--go figure.)

*This is a non-real example of how the system could work as you might see it, we don't know where your home is nor your other personal information, I just wanted to give a pretend example without exposing how the system actually works to SPAMmers. Not collecting personal information means there's less motivation for hackers to try to hack the system.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I just got the captcha for the first time offering up some stuff I have for sale to a new member. Honestly, it's not a big deal. Understanding that it's use is situational makes total sense. Thanks for the explanation!

·
Super Moderator
2,889 Posts
Heavy spam weekend, a lot was caught and cleaned. If something slipped through please report it so we can remove it. I approved one trailer ad in the For Sale section that members might be interested in, I wasn't able to conclude it's truly spam and tend to err on the side of caution...

·
Super Moderator
2,889 Posts
HAPPY FRIDAY!

It's been a spam-heavy Friday, and it might be a spam-heavy weekend too. We'll try to keep things clean (mind you we might be out enjoying the weekend much like you might be), and if something buggers up or slips through mash that REPORT button and we'll take a look (click those vertical three dots on the right side of a post and select Report). We read the reports and they give us a task list of things to manage, so we really appreciate your help.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hello

Sorry for the delayed response on a reply we have a bit of a backlog.

We have recently made some updates to the spam controls and settings so the approval queues would catch a lot more potential Spammers.

Once those are resolved we will start working again on bugs and new features.

Jeff M

21 - 34 of 34 Posts