Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often use a car wash with a silicone wax in it between details on my rides. The SS is due for its first wash and I'm unsure how the black areas will take any kind of wax. I'd hate to wash and wax it only to have those areas turn a dull grey. (I'm not even picking on folks color choices.)

Any ideas? Do we need to be careful about getting wax on the black stripes and body panels?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The body panels on the SS appear to be the same material as that of my Polaris Sportsman ACE. I use regular car wash soap/wax and it hasn't caused anything yet with it.

I think the key is a good rinsing once the wax is applied. (Just my experience.)

For the SS I'm actually talking with a local detail shop to see what they would charge, as I think that the SS needs a good true wax done...and I don't want to get an wax on the plastic

Reactions: C.G

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
Polaris sells a wash and wax they recommend for their bikes and vehicles, that they ask SS dealers to stock with their vehicles.
A guy came up to me at home depot to check out the SS. He said there is some Polaris detail spray that he uses on all his toys' plastics. Showed me his truck he used it on, very nice finish. He said it keeps a lot of things from sticking to it.
Do you know the name of what he described? He said around $8 a can. And can you use it on the painted areas?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
A guy came up to me at home depot to check out the SS. He said there is some Polaris detail spray that he uses on all his toys' plastics. Showed me his truck he used it on, very nice finish. He said it keeps a lot of things from sticking to it.
Do you know the name of what he described? He said around $8 a can. And can you use it on the painted areas?
Boom: http://www.fullthrottlemotorsports.com/eshopprod_cat_9172-111738-111764_product_1780109.POLARIS_POLISH.htm

·
3,685 Posts
That looks like the stuff. I will connect with you at a better(business) time today. Goodnight, don't forget to charge those batteries(robot?).:astronaut::)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
That looks like the stuff. I will connect with you at a better(business) time today. Goodnight, don't forget to charge those batteries(robot?).:astronaut::)
Beep boop beep?

Excuse me, what did you say? :droid:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
As a painter, I urge you not to use any silicone wax or spray on the pain! (this includes armor all) silicone will impregnated self into the substrate and reeks havoc if you ever need a touch up or a repaint. I usually use a car wash/non-silicone wax combination.

·
Registered
2020 Slingshot Grand Touring Chan Chew Two
779 Posts
What about some of the polymer polishes like Dri-Wash or some of the other quick detail-er products that can be used on rubber, glass and similar?
I have used Dri-Wash on my bikes, cars and on Bike windscreens and plastic surfaces. Also on my Corvettes with Fiberglass and urethane. Works well on Chrome and painted metal and plastic parts too! (Valkyrie and Intruders) No problems so far! Works well and is easy to use and looks great! Not sure if it causes a problem later for re-painting?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
What about some of the polymer polishes like Dri-Wash or some of the other quick detail-er products that can be used on rubber, glass and similar?
I have used Dri-Wash on my bikes, cars and on Bike windscreens and plastic surfaces. Also on my Corvettes with Fiberglass and urethane. Works well on Chrome and painted metal and plastic parts too! (Valkyrie and Intruders) No problems so far! Works well and is easy to use and looks great! Not sure if it causes a problem later for re-painting?
Polymers are fine. Just read the label and avoid silicone!

Most good products will even advertise on the front label "contains no silicone".

·
Registered
903 Posts
Painter is absolutely correct in my opinion!! Stay away from the silicone, it could be a problem down the road. My Slingshot will be detailed with "303 Aerospace Protectant". I'll use it on everything, paint, plastic, seats, tires, windshield, dash...... Everything!! It's the only stuff Mastercraft recommends for use on the vinyl in their ski boats. They specifically say no ArmorAll products. 303 is quite expensive {$70/gal.}, but well worth it for the UV protection it provides. I've been using it on everything I own for years. It's like UV 40 for everything that's treated. It makes all the plastic, gloss or flat, look awesome!! I get mine at Overton's, but I'm sure you can find it on Amazon.

·
Vendor
118 Posts

My guess is he was talking about this:

Mud Shield Pre-Treatment
MSRP:8.99
Pre-treat and protect, engineered for the most extreme conditions
makes cleaning your vehicle easier and faster
inhibits the adhesion of dirt, mud and snow

Has the same properties that SC1 does.

Reactions: Wolf

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I've always used the Honda spray cleaner, it's always worked great on windshields, body, seats, everything. Guess I need to look and see if it contains silicone. Anyone know if the SS windshield is the same material and a MC shield?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great info guys, thanks!

Had no clue about the silicone based products. They are now off my list.

·
3,685 Posts
My guess is he was talking about this:

Mud Shield Pre-Treatment
MSRP:8.99
Pre-treat and protect, engineered for the most extreme conditions
makes cleaning your vehicle easier and faster
inhibits the adhesion of dirt, mud and snow

Has the same properties that SC1 does.
I think Kip nailed what the guy was talking about. Unless "Mud Shield" is made by Polaris.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I think Kip nailed what the guy was talking about. Unless "Mud Shield" is made by Polaris.
Yes, Polaris makes Mud Shield too. They can be used in tandem with each other or some of the other sprays and washes. Shield is an pre-treatment that will give a lasting result.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Harley makes a product called "bug slide". works great and sounds similar to mudshield.

Reactions: Wolf

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Now I will tell you a product that I use to absolutely clean everything with no scrubbing! it is S100 Total Bike Cleaner and I found it to be an amazing product.

All you do is spray it on anything and everything and then flood it with water almost immediately until all of it is gone and no suds at all. (this is important or you will leave streaks you can't get out) it takes off the brake dust, mud, oil, dirt. As well as all the wax you put on! But it won't harm plastics, rubber or anything else on motorcycles.

The directions say do not let it start to dry and they mean it!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Now I will tell you a product that I use to absolutely clean everything with no scrubbing! it is S100 Total Bike Cleaner and I found it to be an amazing product.

All you do is spray it on anything and everything and then flood it with water almost immediately until all of it is gone and no suds at all. (this is important or you will leave streaks you can't get out) it takes off the brake dust, mud, oil, dirt. As well as all the wax you put on! But it won't harm plastics, rubber or anything else on motorcycles.

The directions say do not let it start to dry and they mean it!
I agree S-100 is great, I use a leaf blower to get the excess water off then take if for a quick spin to get the final little bit. In some ways it's more of a hassle that an can of cleaner but it does a great job. Like Painter said, make sure you get it dry cause it will leave streaks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts