Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I just scheduled my first warranty service and I'm wondering if the price is the same across the country.
He explained that a full service (oil change and full system inspection) is $300 and just an oil change is $175.

What have you paid?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny you should ask....
I just got back from Sturgis Polaris Slingshot Event and before I left wanted to get an oil change. The dealer 3 miles down the road is a complete RIP off!! They wanted $275.00 for just an oil change.... there are 3 other dealers within 30 miles and they all want $135.00, not cheap but fair I guess. I ended up doing it myself for $80.00 with everything from Amazon. The dealer charging $275.00 is also the one that denied my warranty work for the paint but all the others had no issue getting it fixed. Just make sure to call around could be worth a drive. BTW I'm in Mpls Mn.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Funny you should ask....
I just got back from Sturgis Polaris Slingshot Event and before I left wanted to get an oil change. The dealer 3 miles down the road is a complete RIP off!! They wanted $275.00 for just an oil change.... there are 3 other dealers within 30 miles and they all want $135.00, not cheap but fair I guess. I ended up doing it myself for $80.00 with everything from Amazon. The dealer charging $275.00 is also the one that denied my warranty work for the paint but all the others had no issue getting it fixed. Just make sure to call around could be worth a drive. BTW I'm in Mpls Mn.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I do mine for $23 mobile1 from Walmart online and $4 PF4 acdelco filter online.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I paid around $173 for an oil change. I’ll be doing future ones myself.

Does anyone know where to buy the oil filter wrench?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I was hoping that my dealer was the only one that charged outrageously for simple services. I'm not encouraged to learn that they're not. I'm not very handy with such things, but I am frugal. $200+ for an oil change? On a stock GM 4-cylinder? I'll go to my dealer for things I can't learn to do myself, or pay a friend to do at cost.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I was hoping that my dealer was the only one that charged outrageously for simple services. I'm not encouraged to learn that they're not. I'm not very handy with such things, but I am frugal. $200+ for an oil change? On a stock GM 4-cylinder? I'll go to my dealer for things I can't learn to do myself, or pay a friend to do at cost.
Just don't give your friend any beer until he's finished whatever he's doing for you!:D

·
Registered
2015 2JZ swapped
417 Posts
Labor rates across the country are different but I would agree that $275 is crazy! Here in WI it's about $105 plus tax. We also visually look at things while doing the change to try and spot any potential problems before they arise. ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in a suburb of Atlanta and the labor rate at the dealership where I purchased my Slingshot has risen to $130 per hour which I think is ridiculous. I had a temporary problem during which I could not change the oil in my Slingshot myself so I took it to the dealer. I supplied four quarts of oil that I had previously purchased there. The bill for this oil change came to a little over $124 with me supplying most of the oil.

I have since convinced the Express Oil Change location near me to start doing oil changes on Slingshots. It took some doing but now at least this one shop will do an oil change at a reasonable rate. Originally they said no because of a prior incident involving one of the exotic cars. They agreed to start doing oil changes after I showed them the engine compartment and then pointed out that they were already servicing this same engine family in Saturns.

This of course will not solve general repair problems but at least now there is some hope for reasonably priced oil changes. BTW, I happened to be in a COSTCO near me about six months ago getting tires for one of our boring four wheeled vehicles. I spoke with that shop manager and showed him the Slingshot. I will probably put Michellin Pilot Supersport tires on my Slingshot when it comes time for new tires. He says that they will mount and balance them for me. Just a thought.

Everyone have a great day out there.

·
Registered
613 Posts
This thread caused me to be curious, so I went back and pulled some records. At my closest dealer, from whom I purchased a new 2017 Slingshot SL in October of 2017, I also purchased a $1,299 Service Contract on the SL. On November 10, I took it back for it's first service, the one done at 500 miles. It cost me $273.47. That was $38. for a gallon of 5W30 oil, $10 for another quart of the same, $15 for an oil filter, and $3 for "bulk gasoline from shop caddies. $188 for the Labor. In July, my 5,000 mile oil change cost me $269.

I am all for keeping my Slingshot in top condition, but now I feel like an idiot for paying $1300 for a Service Contract AND paying over $270 for an oil change. (Not to mention that it takes me a full work day to have this service done, including two hours of riding back and forth.) I have a friend who is a master mechanic. Think I will ask him what he would charge to get me set up to do my own oil changes. Bet it will be a lot less than $270!

Yes, I know they also checked things like air filter, transmission, angle drive, belt, brakes, lights, and seat belts - things that would likely take less than 10 minutes to accomplish. The $188 Labor was for 2 hours. Oh, and there was an additional $14 for unspecified "shop supplies."

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I just scheduled my first warranty service and I'm wondering if the price is the same across the country.
He explained that a full service (oil change and full system inspection) is $300 and just an oil change is $175.

What have you paid?
took my slingshot to my auto mechanic ………………...he said he could do the same 5000 mile chk for a lot less
after all it is a chevy cruise engine

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I haven't used Jiffy Lube in many years, but several Slingshot owners say the have used their local Jiffy Lube for oil changes. Just make sure they don't try to drive all the way in so your rear wheel doesn't end up down in the pit.:eek:

·
Registered
251 Posts
The dealer near me is 125 an hour, one that is 30 min away 75 and hour. I also have a dude who owns his own cycle shop who is 75 and hour. The 5,000 service from the dealer near me wanted 400.00 I went with the 30 min away for 120.

For those that do it themselves great..but someone of us just do not want to do it ourselves but also do not want to feel ripped off.

If the place for 125 offered some type of benfit over the others I would consider them - but they do not. No ride back and forth, no nice waiting area, no loaner. I asked them why they are more than my car dealer which offers all of the above. they did not have a reply.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Look around your area for "quick lube" shops that use pits. I'd suggest smaller chains or preferably independents. I believe they will welcome your business. I started with a local two years ago and find the manager to be very meticulous and always does the SS. His tech might do the filter. I provide the oil and filter and he charges $20 +tax. He knows I'm particular about not screwing the filter cap down too hard, so I do the final tightening. He also changed the transmission oil on my previous SS, again with me providing Polaris fluid as it is the only GL-3 Synthetic that I could find. I get a receipt that states brand of oil and filter used.

You can find name brand Synthetic oil at Walmart for $19-27. Mobil 1 is currently running a rebate with $10 back on 5qt jug. I like WIX or Bosch synthetic filters; both well made with good flow characteristics. I ordered 6 Bosch from Rock Auto for about $6 ea. K&N are also reasonably priced at Walmart.

I could do my own changes but find getting messy and have oil to dispose of is no longer any fun so its worth $20 to have someone else do it. I still do the Angle drive because I jack up the left front, after draining is done, in order to get the full quart in. Come spring, I'll probably do it again with Amsoil or Castrol gear oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts